New to Acronis TI

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by willhank, Jul 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. willhank

willhank Registered Member

I would appreciate any help on the best way to create a brand new image (deleting the original one) on my hard drive. I'm using XP and am new to the operating systim as well. The first image was created bare bones by the store where I bought the computer. Acronis version is OEM 7.0.

I have installed so many new programs and changed so many file permissions, etc. since then that I think my brain would melt down if I had to recreate and reload everything done from day one. Does the idea of deleting the original image and creating a new one seem like a good one? If so, I'm not quite sure how to proceed. The user's manual is a bit vague on this.

Help will greatly appreciated. Thanks, Bill Turner.

2. Lauchlan Mackinnon

Lauchlan Mackinnon Registered Member

Hi,

What's the point of this? I think you'd end up with pretty much exactly what you started with.

Making the image is good because then you have a backup you can restore, and it is also handy if you want to migrate this to a new drive, but I am unclear as to why you'd want to put the same image back on the same drive.

Maybe what you really want to do is create a new partition on your hard drive? If so, had you had a look at Acronis Disk Director?

HTH

Lauchlan Mackinnon

3. willhank

Thanks for replying, Lauchlan. The original image had only operating files with very few program files. Since then, I have added tons of programs, etc. Am I correct in asssuming that a new image would include all of my added files? The new image would not be the same as the original, would it?

Bill

4. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, willhank

Yes you are correct, the new Image would have everthing you have on you HDD, at the time of making the new Image. [Hence the name TrueImage]

NO, but as said above.

Take Care.
    TheQuest :cool:

5. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

I would not delete the original image, as you can always return to this point, once deleted that option is no longer available.

When I first set up a system I do so with an image of purely Windows fully up to date, the next image is generally taken when all my known (conflict free) programs are installed.

A further image is taken before experimenting with new programs, as I can always restore to prior to installing that program if it causes an issue...

Hope this helps...

Cheers :D

6. Lauchlan Mackinnon

Lauchlan Mackinnon Registered Member

You are correct. I didn't understand you wanted to re-install an old TI Image, I thought you were making the new image now and then re-installing it. The new image would include all your added files - everything on the partition/drive at the time of creating the image.

You can make a copy of the drive/partition and restore it to a new drive/partition or to the original drive/partition (in which case of course you lose all the changes made since you created the image).

But I re=read your original post - I think you just want to create a new image of your drive/partition as it is now, so you could reload it if needed with all the registry settings, programs, OS files etc exactly as they are now. So . . . just create a new TI image!

BTW, you don't need to delete the old image. Just call it by another name. The old one might be handy if you need a 'clean system' with no programs on it for some reason, eg for software testing purposes.

Regards

Lauchlan M

7. willhank

Thanks for the responses to my original post. I'm very impressed by the usefulness of this forum. Bill Turner

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.