New SKPF 4.3.635 Released

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Beavenburt, Feb 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Running it inside a vm here. So far pretty good.

3 running processes,

kpf4ss.exe 13mb
    kpf4gui.exe 6mb
    kpf4gui.exe 8mb

2. Zom17

Zom17 Registered Member

The BSODs have been my issue. I am running version 4.3.246 which was an update from the previous one that gave BSODs daily. Still m y current version gives me a crash once a week. I'll give the new version a shot.

How does one update?

Will the new version overwrite the old or must I first install my current version?

Thanks.

3. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

I'm using the latest version of SKPF 43635.

Some possible bugs I've noticed:
    System cannot logoff/restart/shut down. I have to exit the firewall's GUI first.
    Alerts pop-up continuously even when trying to disable alerts.
    Statistics show all numbers as 0.

4. Zom17

Zom17 Registered Member

Gah! I hope you contact Sunbelt and tell them their so-called newer more "stable version" (their words) has some significant bugs.

5. nadirah

Don't worry Zom, I've contacted them on this.

6. Huwge

Huwge Registered Member

No problems with the latest build here

7. Zom17

Zom17 Registered Member

Did you use earlier versions by chance? How long have you used the latest build? If I can get version 635 working without BSODs I'll be so very happy.

Edit: I installed the latest version and I'll see how it goes. At first it would not take and the error log reported that it could not connect especially the GUI. Even after hitting the configuration button nothing happened. So I came back after 2 hours and hit the configuration button again. Lo and behold it began to run and once I registered it became a fully working product.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2007
  8. Huwge

Huwge Registered Member

Been using it for the last 18 months and the latest version since the beginning of the month without problems

9. Zom17

Zom17 Registered Member

I would love to know how you didn't experience any BSODs with earlier versions! Did you do any tweaking?

10. Huwge

Huwge Registered Member

Nope, no tweaking at all. Been running it with NOD AVG AS and Prevx. No issues at all (except that OA wouldnt function correctly so i ditched OA)

11. Zom17

Zom17 Registered Member

Pardon my ignorance, OA? Maybe you can help me here, Huwge, I downloaded and installed version 635 but it won't start unless I am logged onto the internet! Even then I have to go to my program files> sunbelt> start kerio before it will engage. Tech support tell me to disable NIPS and HIPS, but what good is that? o_O

12. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

13. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Ok, had a few 97% CPU burps, but it's running fine now. It seems a very good firewall. The only thing i miss from the paid version is password protection and maybe HIPS. HIPS because they mention code injection and mainly buffer overflow. Everything else seems too much (cookies, scripts...).
    I'm going to start messing with the advanced rules. I didn't notice the option on pop-ups for that, but i'm reading the manual and i'm going to tweak some rules.

14. nadirah

Here's what I got in my inbox this morning:
    Thank you for contacting technical support.

Click on the link below to run a utility that will rid of the Kerio
    Firewall that is currently on your computer.

hxxp://www.sunbelt-software.com/ihs/SKPFClean.exe

Click on the link below to reinstall your Kerio Firewall.

http://go.sunbelt-software.com/?linkid=440

Warm regards,
    Consumer Support Technician
    Sunbelt Software
    email:
    support@sunbelt-software.com
    Voice: 1-877-673-1153 x 500
    Fax: 1-727-562-5199
    Web: <http://www.sunbelt-software.com>
    Physical Address:
    33 N Garden Ave,
    Suite 1200
    Clearwater, FL, 33755
    United States

15. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

SandboxIE has been crashing, Prevx1's icon is missing today. Well, it's hard to say it's definetly Kerio's fault, but it seems so. It's the only thing new.

Overall, i like the firewall. It has those predefined rules, i presume these are the first being interpreted. Then there's applications rules and they're own set of network filters. So it's predefined- apps filters- app rules?

I like the fact that i can set network rules for a group of programs.
    Also it detects the trusted area (home network), you confirm it, and now you define what can connect to trusted, and to internet in general. I like this very much.
    The NIPS part is where i can't grasp. It has some references to snort or something, but i can't see what it's about. Anyone can break it down in Joe's language?
    It can control execution of programs, etc., but i haven't got an opinion on that yet.
    It nags you every time you open it- hey, buy now! One more OK to press, not that bad, but bad anyway.

One or two more days, and Comodo will return. It's more me.

16. Zom17

Zom17 Registered Member

Someone, I find this firewall to be a mixed bag. The latest version doesn't even load unleass I first log on to the internet then go to programs and find the Sunbelt program and then press Start Firewall and then it loads.

Sunbelt's answer: Disable HIPS and NIPS. What good does that do me?!?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.