New RollBack Rx version released!

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Heco, Sep 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

When was Windows Vista expected again?
    I have heard some rumors, but I can't tell for sure if the development of the next release is on track.

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

It's very different. A baseline snapshot would be quite useless if the hard drive suddenly qualifies itself as trash. What I am talking about would work great for a bare metal restore.

I am not trying to nit pick here, but as you work with the Rollback folks that ability would be important.

3. wilbertnl

I'm sorry if I don't understand you well, Peter.

So, 01. you install a new hard drive, 02. install Windows (or reimage an OEM Windows), 03. install EF/RB and 04. import recent snapshots.
    After that probably update the baseline.
    That would be a FD-ISR-like recovery, right?

4. Peter2150

Exactly. I haven't done quite that, but I have restored a 4 month old image, that had no snapshot, but FDISR was installed. Used the external archive to bring system current. It's a great fall back, plus a time saver. Imaging takes 20-30 minutes, refreshing an archive, about 1.5 minutes.

Pete

5. nexstar

nexstar Registered Member

I'm sure I'm being a bit dense here but, if you restore a 4 month old image and then bring it up to date with the an external FDISR archive, isn't that the same as restoring a current image? Or are you only updating the data files (docs etc) rather than the system files as well?

Depending on what you are trying to achieve, an alternative Rollback scenario might be to restore to the, say, 4 month old baseline snapshot and then recover the current data files from the latest snapshot.

Of course, if the hard drive is trashed then we are all only as good as our latest backup:)

6. wilbertnl

This procedure is needed because both FD-ISR and RF/RB don't support restores from a rescue CD.
    It needs an installed and functioning Windows setup.
    And in this prodecure Peter doesn't need an up-to-date disk image, just an up-do-date snapshot archive.

7. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Most probably the same functionality. In FDISR I can do manually, what a frozen snapshot does automatically.
    Does RB/EF clean a frozen snapshot AUTOMATICALLY during reboot or do I have to do it manually ?

This has nothing to do with frozen snapshots. FDISR has the same nature, because you can work in only ONE snapshot : the current snapshot and the rest of the snapshots are sleeping until you boot in them. I don't call that frozen.
    A frozen snapshot applies to the current snapshot, the work-snapshot.

8. Peter2150

Bingo, and it just saved me right now. Thru skillfully paying attention while messing with an unstable program, I succeeded in messing up all of my snapshots. The ole chair keyboard interface problem.

A 4 day image, and this mornings external FDISR archive and I am back in business.

BTW. The only reason I raise this issue here, is I would encourage Rollback users like Wilbertnl, to besure this kind of functionally is what HDS is working toward in the next release.

What Erik is calling a frozen snapshot is where a reboot automatically resets the snapshot to a given state. I don't remember but I think that might have somehow been available in Rollback.

9. wilbertnl

You can setup automagic restores, which take less than a snap. (that's why it's called snapshot :D )
    Son, try to listen, I give you an example:

Snapshot A has document AA, Snapshot B has document BB.
    Restore to snapshot A and add document AZZ to it.
    Restore to snapshot B and add document BYY to it.
    Restore again to snapshot A and notice that document AZZ does not exist.
    Restore again to snapshot B and notice that document BYY does not exist.

If you want to retain documents AZZ or BYY, you should take a snapshot, which can be automagically done at any restore. :thumb:
    By the way, documents retain at reboots, until you change the worksnapshot.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2006
  10. wilbertnl

I'm biting my tongue, ghmppfff.
    Explain again why FD-ISR is more robust? :D :D :D

11. Peter2150

The problem wasn't FDISR, it was me. I, little ole me, installed an unstable program in both snapshots by accident. Now tell me Rollback would helped me any more. Absolutely nothing is robust if the user screws up.

Now about a snapshot being a snap. Bad bad bad:D

12. aigle

aigle Registered Member

To make it clear I will say snapshots of EAZ-FIX are just like archives of FDISR except that u can boot into them in a snap unlike FDISR where first u have to make a snapshot from an archive to boot into it, however u can,t refresh EAZ-FIX snapshots and also they don,t retain any changes made when u boot into them, but instaed u can make another new snapshot that of course takes few seconds only.

13. Peter2150

Aigle, they aren't the same. The big big big difference right now is FDISR archives can be kept off disk, and used even if you have replaced the hard drive and start over. As of this moment EF and Rollback don't have this capability. Hopefully they will in the near future.

14. nexstar

nexstar Registered Member

Sorry Wilbert, you may have to speak more slowly for me;)

At the risk of become monotonous, I image my Rollback installation regularly using Drive Snapshot. Not necessarily daily, but it wouldn't be much of a hardship to do so automatically. So, if something disasterous happened to the drive then I would simply restore the most recent image. I do daily backups of My Documents etc using Handy Backup so most 'current' data is easy to restore.

Peter is still restoring an image I believe, it is just that it is 4 months old. He is then bringing it up to date with the data he archived earlier using FDISR.

If he had actually wanted to revert to a 4 month old snapshot of his system, say, because he knew that the system was more reliable then, he could obviously do this with Rollback by going back to a snapshot at that time and then restoring his current data from the latest snapshot that was available.

In the 'two messed up snapshots' scenario then I believe that Rollback would have been up for the challenge. It should be no harder than going back to a slightly earlier 'non-messed up' snapshot and recovering any more recent documents from the messed up snapshots.

As you know, snapshots can be setup to be taken automatically at up to 2 hour intervals plus they can trigger on specified executables being run (eg setup.exe) and I always take a snapshot manually before installing any new software.

.....but I could be wrong about all of this:)

15. wilbertnl

:p I was giving you a hard time, but the source of the problem doesn't matter, does it?
    Actually, maybe I want to repeat your actions and see how EF/RB handles that... :eek:

16. aigle

aigle Registered Member

You are right. I just compared them so that who have not used both, they can understand. However they are not just alike for sure.

17. wilbertnl

You are correct, Nextar.
    Which only means that we know different ways to accomplish the same goal. :thumb:
    By the way, who was talking fast? :D

18. wilbertnl

To rephrase your appreciated explanation:
    FD-ISR snapshots are dynamic, EF/RB snapshots are fixed like printed photographs. Each update requires a new picture like frames in a movie.

19. Peter2150

Hi all

Couple of things on my two messed up snapshot. Yes it is true with Rollback you can keep going back snapshots. But if you do what I did, and forget where you are and do the same bad thing in other snapshots you still could be in trouble.

And this goes to the heart of the program differences. By my messing up my two snapshots with FDISR, the snapshots on disk where no longer of value, whereas with Rollback, I probably could have backed up another snapshot. But both programs have their weakness's where human error can bite you. One big vulnerablity in the Rollback setup is uninstall. Has the really neat feature, of letting you uninstall from the baseline or current baseline. It is a neat feature, until you by accident pick the wrong one. Ouch. I know, I did it once.:D

20. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Ya, right!

21. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

With the new release it appears you will be able to store the complete snapshot to another media not just the incremental changes.

Hope this is what you were asking for?

Thanks,

Chris

22. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I am waiting for this version.

23. Peter2150

This may cause space pain for some. One of the neat thing about Rollback is it conserves disk space. But when you take each snapshot out to the external media, each snapshot will probably need full space if it is independent of the baseline. It is going to be fascinating to see how the implement.

24. wilbertnl

Maybe we will be amazed...
    How about export to a complete independent archive, and import to a snapshot that only contains the differences compared to the baseline...
    Just a thought. :D

25. Peter2150

Interesting thought, but total violation of the KISS principle I'd suspect.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.