New RollBack Rx version released!

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Heco, Sep 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. niteghost

niteghost Registered Member

Fast in creating the Snapshot [ it's a snap], so far pretty "reliable" on the Recovery [ use about 5 Recovery, all successful].
    Take up very little space for the snapshots.

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Yes, but space and speed are not functions. I need more functions.

3. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

I only trialed FDISR for a minute and since a contact at Raxco did not get back with me after 2 emails I sent I have chosen not to purchase it but to answer your question.

1. Rollback can store many more snapshots (and yes I use them).
    2. Automatic snapshot creation.
    3. Recover files from within a snapshot.
    4. Deleting snapshots after xxx amount of days or when disk space is low.
    5. Already mentioned but snapshots take less space.
    6. Already mentioned but snapshots restore faster.
    7. Can be remotely managed and deployed (Enterprise Version)
    8. Can protect multiple partitions.
    9. KillDisk does not ruin all snapshots.
    10. Create a new snapshot based on a user defined event

This is just a quick list. Like I said I only used FDISR for a day or so and did not look it over real good. If FDISR can do anything I listed please note it and I will remove it from my list.

Thanks,

Chris

Last edited: Oct 17, 2006
  4. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

Perhaps "why do you like eazFix/Rollback RX more" is a better formulation of ErikAlbert's question.
    If ErikAlbert has some time to spare, I would like it if he evaluates eazFix/Rollback RC for 15 days and then shares his experience with us.
    I have tested disk imaging with the latest TrueImage build and the whole disk images restored with success.
    In any case, ErikAlbert would be able to revert to the FD-ISR images in no time.

I would really like to hear feedback from ErikAlbert after actually working with eazFix/Rollback RX.

Here is one of my test examples of a possible snapshot structure:

http://www.geocities.com/wilbertnl/eazclone/defect.png

5. Chris12923

I think your right
    Thant would be cool but he seems pretty stuck on FDISR
    This is good. I just wish I didn't have to copy all 60 gigs of my drive :( But I am waiting.
    True

This would be good

Thanks,

Chris

6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

@Wilbertnl
    @Chris

I have a Q from u.
    My main concern with EAZ-FIX is as follows( since from second last build the stability issue is Ok for my system now).

In FDISR , u can store ur archived snapshots on an external media and u can import them at any time.
    Say I have 3 archived snapshots of FDISR on an external disk X, Y and Z and at the same time I have FDISR on my system with 3 snasphots A, B and C. Obviously I can import the three archived snapshots X, Y and Z on my system without loosing A, B and C. As all snapshots are independent, I will finally have 6 snapshots on my system, A, B, C, X, Y, and Z-- without loosing any snapshot.

I wonder if same scenario will be possible with EAZ-FIX future version? As I know in EAZ-FIX all snapshots are based upon a baseline snapshot. Say I install EAZ-FIX on my system and make three snapshots X, Y, Z with a baseline snapshot and store them on an external media.
    Then I format my system and reistall EAZ-FIX and make another three snasphots A, B and C with a base line snapshot. Now can I import snapshots X, Y, Z from external media to have 6 snapshots in total A, B, C, X, Y, and Z with a single base-line snapshot? My feeling is that as snapshots of EAZ-FIX are not independant, so it will not be possible in future version and u will have to loose any of three snapshots in above scenario, either external or current snapshost as both are based upon two different bas-line snapshots.
    I hope i was able to expalin my point clearly.
    I needs ur comments here. And if possible can u ask their support as u are in close contact with them. I have posted it to EAZ-FIX ideas.
    BTW, if this will be possible I will probably prefer EAZ-FIX over FDISR.

7. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

That leads to a similiar but still different question for the HDS guy's

I make an external archive of my current working snapshot. Then for whatever reason I restore an image of my system from several months ago. No snapshots only FDISR installed(and this really doesn't matter as I could install it.) I can then use that current external archive to create a new second snapshot, and with that bring my out of date snapshot current. Clearly with Rollback it might work differently, but none the less will that be possible.

8. ErikAlbert

Wilbertnl and Chris,
    I don't have the time to test RollbackRx/EazFix and 15 days is too short for the way I do my tests.
    It's not only a matter of RollbackRx/EazFix, I also have to find an image backup software that recovers the MBR and ALL snapshots without any further actions before or afterwards.
    RollbackRx/EazFix without a working image backup software is a no go for me, I call that "half work" in Dutch.

I was very lucky to find a working combination (ATI + FDISR) so fast on my computer and what works on my computer doesn't necessarily means that it will work on all computers. My readings at Wilders confirm that.
    What I mean by this is that EACH USER has to do these tests himself, because it has to work on HIS computer, not on someone else's computer.

The reason why I don't have the time is that I'm working on my security setup to protect my system partition [C:] and after that my data partition [D:]. FDISR is a part of my security setup. If something goes wrong and that will happen, I need FDISR or ATI to recover my system/data partition.
    My very last disaster scenario was AntiHook and ATI saved my computer as usual. I wasn't even scared, because I learned to trust ATI.
    Some users don't have a plan and do everything at random, but that's not my style and although I don't know the subject (computer/malware/internet) very well like I do at work, I'm doing pretty good so far.

Testing RollbackRx/EazFix + Image Backup Software (unknown) would delay all my plans and there is no real profit for me either, because I already solved this problem 6 months ago.
    If I had a second computer, it would be alot easier of course, but I don't have a second one and I also have to work sometimes with my computer, besides testing. :)

9. Chris12923

Not sure if the developers will talk about the future release but I will ask them anyway.

I think there is a solution but you must copy your entire drive. This has been accomplished by some users here using ATI.

Rollback will protect not just your c: but your d:e:f:, etc. as well.

Oh. I thought you just said you were still trying to figure out how to protect your d: partition? Maybe this is not what you meant?

Thanks,

Chris

10. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Excuse me, am i in the Antivirus section?:D

11. wilbertnl

You know what? This is exactly the scenario that I would test as soon as I get a build in my hands!
    As you know it's possible to have different versions of the same document in different snapshot, so I think that it might work well.
    I even think that different UID's for the same user will work. But I'm guessing here.

Peter2150: It's already possible to update the (outdated) baseline to the current snapshot.

12. ErikAlbert

RollbackRx/EazFix/FDISR are not security softwares, so they can't protect my system/data partition. :)

13. wilbertnl

We share recipes here. :p

14. wilbertnl

Unlike Fd-ISR, eazFix/Rollback RX is not limited to the C: partition. You can install Windows on F: and still test eazFix/Rollback RX. That leaves your secured C: partition untouched.

15. Chris12923

Your right but wrong at same time. I would think that if you became infected but then restored to another snapshot or even used a frozen snapshot you would no longer be infected so is this not protection? Maybe not traditional protection but you would be protected.

Thanks,

Chris

16. Chris12923

You can find the post here. https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=845396&postcount=40

Seems like me and Peter agree.

Quote from here https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=845513&postcount=46 Aren't most sandboxes for protection? Anyway it doesn't matter to me if you try Rollback or not but just thought it might help you.

Thanks,

Chris

17. Peter2150

I know, but thats not what I am talking about. I am talking about when they implement external archives. Namely being able to take an old image with no snapshots, and bring the system current with an external archive from your latest snapshot.

18. Peter2150

If I am reading you correctly that isn't a solution. I am using 22gig of a 500gig drive. If I had to image all 500gig..... I'd never do it.:D

19. Chris12923

I didn't say a good one ;) But it is what ErikAlbert said he needed to be able to back up without any extra steps.

Thanks,

Chris

20. ErikAlbert

No I'm not wrong in anyway.
    In malwares you have three important steps : installation, execution and removal.

1. A frozen snapshot allows the installation of any program (good or bad). No protection at all.
    2. A frozen snapshot doesn't stop the execution of any malware, so any malware can do its evil job in a frozen snapshot. No protection at all.
    3. A frozen snapshot doesn't remove the malware either, because it doesn't know what a malware is, only scanners recognize malwares. But a frozen snapshot has one special property, it removes all "changes" (good and bad) when you reboot and bad changes = malwares. But FDISR never knew it removed a malware, it just removed a change.

Since you don't have any protection in point 1. and 2., the most important ones, you can't consider FDISR as a security software.
    Of course I use a frozen snapshot to remove all changes (including malwares) and that is a much better method than scanners, because this is in theory a 100% removal method.
    Another big advantage is the speed, I clean my frozen snapshot in 90-120 seconds, I don't know any scanner that does a FULL scan in 2 minuts.

That's why a frozen snapshot is included in my security setup, but it is only a solution for REMOVAL of malwares, not the installation and execution of malwares.

EDIT :
    The same counts for RollbackRx/EazFix, the only thing I don't know for sure is : have both softwares frozen snapshots or not ?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2006
  21. Chris12923

Sometimes AntiVirus software will allow the installation of any program (good or bad) so I can't consider it security software?

Sometimes Anti-Virus software does not stop the execution of malware because the definitions have not been released I can't consider it security software?

I think a backup program is a last layer of security in case you do get infected. jmho :)

Thanks,

Chris

22. ErikAlbert

We were talking about frozen snapshots only, not about the security software within a snapshot.
    You have to separate problems from one another and you have to solve them one by one.
    My frozen snapshot is there, that was step #1.
    Step #2 : now I have to find the right softwares to protect me against installation and possible execution, if the software succeeded to install itself. Scanners are too weak.

23. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Pls post ur results to us as I am keen to know.
    When this version is expected BTW.

24. wilbertnl

Let's define 'frozen snapshot' first:
    At boot time the current snapshot is made identical to an archive that we call the freeze archive.
    So, during the use of a frozen snapshot the file system is modified, but that is undone at boot time.

With eazFix/Rollback RX you have the exact same functionality.

-edit:
    As a matter of fact: Each and every snapshot in EF/RB is frozen by it's nature. Only the work-snapshot is dynamic.
    Cool, hm?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2006
  25. wilbertnl

Peter, how is that different?
    - If I have a baseline dated 01/01/2006 and a snapshot dated 12/31/2006.
    What happens when I update the baseline?
    - If I have a baseline dated 01/01/2006 and import an external snapshot dated 12/31/2006.
    What happens when I update the baseline?

Well, actually I still have to see what happens, but I imagine that it could work like this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.