** New Release **: ZoneAlarm antivirus-firewall combo 10

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by fax, May 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

Does the firwewall protect at the os level ?

2. fax

fax Registered Member

Yes, it does.

3. smage

smage Registered Member

Here is a nice review for it :)
    -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kikpzc00Gxc&list=UUrNjCidRWiOf8_Tt_rH4e3Q&index=1&feature=plcp-

4. fax

fax Registered Member

Awful review, not letting ZA cleaning, running malware with application control on auto (= no hips). 100% useless review. LOL
    Why people still watching this amateurish testing is a mystery to me.

5. NSG001

NSG001 Registered Member

Bit harsh :(

6. fax

fax Registered Member

Well, this is a slightly better review than another one I saw. Testing on a VM with not enough memory. LOL
    More seriously, it has been said ad infinitum, these reviews are useless and often been removed by moderators too.

7. kupo

kupo Registered Member

I agree, the only reason I will watch a 'review' is to familiarize myself with the software, not for detections, protection, etc. :D

8. fax

fax Registered Member

Better you familiarize with the software yourself, since what you see there is just clicking randomly around with no explanation whatsoever and a view of, may be, 10% of features or options (badly used). IMHO, those reviews serve only the purpose of giving fuel to trolls (both side) :D

Last edited: May 5, 2012
  9. Mops21

Mops21 Registered Member

10. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

languy99 review you dont even get to see his settings.

who knows how its configured. could be set to auto instead of max.

11. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

He's using default settings unless stated otherwise.

12. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

He even states that fact at the end of the review. The real question is why ZA let the product out of the door with suboptimal settings as default?

13. fax

fax Registered Member

Simple. They are the optimal settings for normal use. i.e. minimising pop-ups, maximising compatibility and providing optimal protection. What you see in the review is not normal use. With a proper set-up ( and proper testing ) the results are different as you can see from AV-TEST and PCMAG tests.

14. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

I think the tests show ZA hardly provides "optimal protection" at default settings, and it's only a guess how much improvement there will be with settings maxxed.

Also, there are a number of products that will perform well at their defaults no matter how much they are bombarded. There is no reason to settle.

15. kupo

kupo Registered Member

And as he stated, look at the proper test. (AV-Test)

16. fax

fax Registered Member

The video show absolutely nothing apart from a pathetic clicking around, blocking ZA from cleaning, running software that you can simply remove from XP add/remove programs. Finally mix this horrible soup with other tools. Default settings are perfectly fine for normal use. Unless your "normal use" is to running mix junk on the system all day long.

As already said the video serves the only purpose to help this thread getting junked too. :(

17. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

In the past I have watched some of his videos but feel he is a little biased. I do watch them on occasion for a good chuckle though.:D

In any event, I feel this is a really good security suite. I have it running on 3 different machines and it's working without a hitch. Except for the Audit Failure thing.

Ice

18. sm1

sm1 Registered Member

Thanks. I tried again with the final version after restoring a clean image. But the problems were still there. I may try the product after a few months. For the moment I am going back to Kaspersky Internet Security.

19. fax

fax Registered Member

Well, tried here and could not really replicate it. The download was blocked even before saved on the disk. Probably some conflicts with your setup. You will be fine with KIS paid anyway! No need to shift to ZAfree if it works fine. Sorry.

20. sm1

sm1 Registered Member

May be vista 64 bit specific problems:p

21. fax

fax Registered Member

Could be, can't test with Vista. Got rid of if long time ago. Sorry.

22. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

A bit biased? I would have to agree. He's done some interesting videos. But there is Comodo which is always going to be #1 in his book no matter what. I still remember he made a video one time with an intro of a Comodo box, maybe a new version, 3 or 4 maybe...and there was theme music the same as in this video-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfAfuwPXtBA

I can't find the video on his youtube page anymore so he must have taken it down. But it was a classic.

Oh yeah, in his book Comodo = Elvis. Maybe even better.

23. fax

fax Registered Member

Biased or not, these tests says nothing. You can find everything and its exact contrary. For example, -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lilhiWUecUA-, same nonsense test but ZA detected everything. The lesson is: simply ignore them and try the software yourself.

Most free security suite solutions provide excellent protection but only some will work best with your setup and/or your needs. :) :thumb:

24. phyniks

phyniks Registered Member

Installed yesterday....
    Enjoying....
    using kaspersky engine and database makes it powerfull
    cons:
    no offline installer
    updating is not that fast
    there is no manual quarantine
    the gui is not great,avast's is faaaaaaaaaaaar better

the technical staff are not that experst,I chatted 3times,none of them knew which version of kasper they are using

25. fax

fax Registered Member

Antivirus settings --> scan options --> UNcheck "Enable automatic treatment"
    There is no technical support for the ZA free versions and technical support for retail products is there to troubleshoot ZA product related issues, not to give technical details on ZA components :)

Last edited: May 11, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.