New Real Player 14.0.0.600

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Chubb, Nov 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

2. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

RealPlayer would be great if it worked properly.

3. ShaneR34

ShaneR34 Registered Member

Wow. Real player is still around? lol. Had no idea...

I have no desire to give it a look as it was always something I refused to have on my system...a buggy mess. And, considering I haven't heard anything about it until now, I'm guessing not many people think much different today...

4. Daveski17

Yeah, that just about sums it up. Not to forget the security problems it had. I even tried the BBC version at one stage, I didn't like that either!

5. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Why isn't this dead already?

6. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

I thought the same thing. It has been a long time since I used Real Player.

7. Johnny123

Johnny123 Registered Member

That's a good question. A few years ago it was almost essential for streaming, etc. on the web but I haven't seen any sites with Real-type content in a long time, which is a Good Thing (tm). Real Player and Quicktime have both been banished from any of my crates.

8. CogitoTesting

CogitoTesting Registered Member

I'm using it right now on LinuxMint 10 RC with no problem. Real Player has improved a lot. :thumb:

Thanks.

9. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

The free version of Real Player can not compete with other freeware media players like VLC, GOMplayer, KMplayer etc. and the paid full version of Real Player can not compete with other paid media players like Powerdvd, Windvd or Nero Showtime etc. Real player is neither here nor there. I have no idea what the bosses of Real Player are doing, but apparently they are satisfied with the market share of Real Player, otherwise they would be doing something to make their player more competitive.

10. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Well, maybe I'm missing something...? I've been using Real Player SP for a while and it does a fine job of playing all of my videos which are in a number of different formats. The browser plugin works well for downloading video on Youtube and there's also a "trimmer" for changing the start and end times of videos. I feel it's quite good for a free product, but perhaps my needs are simple.

Edit: Just updated to v14 (it's available through the internal updater). There are some changes to the GUI and it looks like there's a stronger focus on social network sharing (which I don't use). I'd say if v12 is meeting your needs you won't see any benefit in going to v14, but it won't hurt you either :^)

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  11. Raza0007

My comments were not a general mud slinging on real player. I was trying to point out why real player has lost popularity. The free version has limited functionality. For one thing it does not have a full 10-band equalizer and there are other advanced options that are only available in the full version. So, if you compare it with other freewares like VLC media player etc, which include all the advanced options found in real player full version, then the free version of real player can not hold its own against them. So users who do not want to pay for a media player will most likely switch to other players.

Also, real player relies on codecs found on the OS. Itself it is bundled with a limited set of codecs that can not play all formats available in the wild. You probably never had a problem because I am expecting you already have some codec pack installed on your system. VLC player and others do not depend on windows codecs and have all the codecs built-in them.

Finally the users who can afford to pay for the advanced options can then get a better experience with other paid media players like powerdvd etc. So, real player loses out again.

12. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Can't argue with anything you've said. I guess I was responding to the rather derogatory tone in the thread (though that was not your tone).

13. Daveski17

Well, I don't just want to sling mud but in my experience RealPlayer was very buggy, crashed often & I had problems with upgrading to the original Firefox 3 release because of some weird RealPlayer plug-in glitches. Ostensibly it's a good player, I still have RealPlayer video files on my laptop that I can't play in anything else though as they're apparently not compatible with anything else. To me, the freeware version seemed like a good idea poorly executed.

14. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

did you try Real Alternative 2.0.2 ?

15. Daveski17

16. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

17. Daveski17

It still wouldn't play the RealPlayer files anyway. It's a bit of a shame that Real Alternative has been discontinued as well.

18. SweX

SweX Registered Member

I thought Real Player had went to sleep a long long time ago, but I guess some one wake it up:)

19. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Media Player Classic can also play rmvb files

20. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Registered Member

Yes, MPC can play real files but with help of real codec/real player.

21. Daveski17

I'll have to look into this more.

22. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Yes, you will need to copy some codec files to your C:\Windows directory for MPC to play realvideo files smoothly without stuttering.:cool:

23. epsir19

epsir19 Registered Member

I guess it's time to evict whatever version of Real Player I have off my computers.

this new version 14 of RealPlayer makes my machines look real old and slow.
    and it looks like they raised the minimum system requirements for the new version.

24. Raza0007

I never had any bugs problem with Real player. I stopped using it because it required codecs to be present on your system and I do not like installing codec packs. Some codec packs conflict with each other. I like players that have all their codecs built in to them. That was the main reason for me deciding to move away from Real Player.

25. ShaneR34

ShaneR34 Registered Member

And for the record...

It wasn't my intent to sling mud or bait with my comments. I was just sharing my opinion in an off-the-cuff way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.