New PCTools FW out! Link

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by ratchet, Aug 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

2. Victek

Victek Registered Member

PC Tools FWP is up to version 4.0.0.44. It's not showing up yet via Smart Update. It's not clear from the forum announcement what if anything is different from 4.0.0.40.

3. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Thanks.

4. RobZee

RobZee Registered Member

Saw this quote in the Forum announcement:

Changes in PCTFW v4.0.0.44 include:

* Remember this setting for multiple popup fixes
    * Enhanced Security verification sociability fixes
    * Minor bug fixes

5. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

Tried and failed !!
    I installed it my XP SP3 machine, somehow after mandatory installation reboot the PCT FW+ disappeared !!
    I see the process running in task manager, but no icon is sys.tray !! I un-installed and jumped ship back to OA.

Guess, there are still some grey areas .... !!

6. Malcontent

Malcontent Registered Member

When you ran the installer, did you choose the "Expert" user mode option? I had the same problem you did. I uninstalled and reinstalled and chose the "Normal" user mode and it installed and ran without a problem. The "Expert" mode can be enabled in the settings menu later. Been running for a few days without issue now.

7. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

Thanks, Malcontent. Will try again and let you know :)

8. cp4eva

cp4eva Registered Member

I had the same problem with PCTFW and just did an uninstall.reinstall and everything is fine (running in Normal Mode).

So far, so good.

9. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I was running 4.0.0.40 and having a problem where permissions were not being remember. 4.0.0.44 does fix this so it's a worthwhile update. As of yesterday it was still not available via "smart update" so I downloaded the full installer and did an upgrade over 4.0.0.40.

10. 3xist

3xist Guest

(From Forums).

11. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

It is FAILING the normal Leak Test app! Why would that be? It penetrates the firewall and permissions are listed as undetermined.

12. Piecan

Piecan Registered Member

I've tried for the second time to use this Firewall. Upon installation my Nod icon had disappeared and the system froze, so had to reboot. Is it just me who's pc doesn't like PC tools?!

13. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Piecan, have you gone into the applications tab, and selected 'give full access' to all of Nod's services. And not only give it full connection access, double click on each of Nod's services and enable 'allow' rather than the default 'prompt for permissions'.

See below for example.

The firewall has made a big jump, from single figures to now achieving a 74% rating at Matousec's site. Still a light firewall as well.
    http://www.matousec.com/projects/firewall-challenge/results.php

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 17, 2008
  14. Saraceno

Been trying this new version out, and didn't realise it now had application control.

Tried using a portable file explorer to delete some files off the local drive and firewall plus gave the option to permit/deny/always-trust the action.

Those interested in just a pure firewall will probably now prefer rising, but those interested in a firewall with the ability to pass leak tests might now like this one (matousec report at this link).

15. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

Hmmm.. something might be wrong with how it's installing on my computer, because other apps besides LeakTest went straight out to the internet. Anyone have that problem, and could you solve it?

16. toxical2004

toxical2004 Registered Member

@ MVDU: I'm not sure, normally asked me to allow applications, but the new version has the feature to automatically create rules for known programs on it's list, so it might be that (for example, it didn't ask me for programs such as IE or utorrent, automatically allowed them). That can be unchecked if needed in the settings.
    Besides, I had to uninstall it since it seems to have some bugs on Vista. While using utorrent, my system just froze and I had to restart. After that it didn't start with windows and I lost my patience and uninstalled it :cautious: . Now everything runs smoothly again. It's a shame, couse i actually kinda liked this FW, it's very light on resources and neat to use.
    Ah well......back to Vista FW for now, if anyone knows what might be the problem I experienced, please let me know.
    Cheers!

17. Zeena

Zeena Registered Member

Hi toxical2004 :)

Enhanced Security Verification ... Was Your Problem! :(

PC Tools only added Enhanced Security Verification to Version 4 of the firewall.
    Enhanced Security Verification - Is turned ON By Default.

PC Tools Firewall Plus Version 3 ... Didn't have Enhanced Security Verification ...
    However...
    It did have something similar called - Code Injection Protection ( Well Something like that anyway :doubt: )
    Version 3 - Code Injection Protection .... Was - NOT turned on by default.

PC Tools seem to be struggling to figure out what's wrong with Enhanced Security Verification :rolleyes:

The problems Enhanced Security Verification can cause - include...
    Extremely High CPU Spikes
    Over Active Hard Drive
    Computer / Program - Freezes
    These problems can affect any computer... No Matter how powerful :mad:

So For Now...
    The only thing to do is - Turn.... Enhanced Security Verification - OFF

I've had to turn Enhanced Security Verification - OFF :rolleyes:

The Good News Is...
    PC Tools Firewall Plus ... Works absolutely fine when - Enhanced Security Verification is switched OFF ;)

Hope This Helps!

18. gdiloren

gdiloren Registered Member

19. deanmartin

deanmartin Registered Member

I have Enhanced Security Verification (off) as well. Other than that no problems.

20. Saraceno

I have everything turned on and haven't experienced any problems.

This was mentioned before, but make sure the install is set to 'normal user' rather than 'expert user'. Uninstall and reinstall if you haven't done so.

Expert user can be turned on later, but if installed to be the default, it seems to use more resources (and maybe have more conflicts).

Otherwise, from my experience so far, this firewall seems to be improving. :thumb:

21. toxical2004

Thanx for the advice, might just try it out when I get home (I'm at work now, readin' forums 'n' stuff :D :D ).
    By the way, I had a thought-maybe it happened becouse of peerguardian. Does PG have known problems with PCtools FW?

Cheers!

22. Zeena

Zeena Registered Member

Hi Saraceno :)

I Did... Install my PC Tools Firewall Plus as a Normal User.

The problem with Enhanced Security Verification seems to affect - approx 80% - of installations.

Why the other - approx 20% - get away with this problem... Is a mystery! :doubt:

Possibilities...
    1/ Maybe it only affects certain computers ( OS / Manufacturer / Hardware ... Dependant ) :doubt:
    OR - Maybe...
    2/ Not everyone notices there is a problem with the firewall.

Explanation...
    It may depend on certain circumstances... As to whether a person notices there's a problem.
    * If they have Vista - With CPU gadgets in their Sidebar .... They are Far more likely to notice the problem.
    ** Someone that uses software a lot ( e.g Games ) - Is far more likely to notice... Than someone that just surfs the web.

Enhanced Security Verification - ON ...
    Every time my computer started up - OR - Every time my son played his online game...
    My CPU - Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4GHz
    Would Hit 100% in all four cores :eek:

Enhanced Security Verification - OFF ... PC Tools Firewall Plus - Works just fine :D

23. toxical2004

Ok, I tried it for the second time, now with enchanced verification disabled, and it runs smoothly for now. Had one crash of a game during gameplay (Scratches-editors cut) but I think it's not due to the FW. We'll see, maybe this one is a keeper ;)
    Thanx for the help!

24. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

I unchecked the "automatically allow," and still everything is getting through, even though I click block. Not sure what the problem is, as other firewalls work fine on my computer.

25. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

I have v4.0.0.40, smart update doesn't find anything to update.

Can I install v4.0.0.45 over v4.0.0.40 or just over v4.0.0.44?

How will this new version handle the Zemana tests Here?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.