New PC USB HD and ntldr problem

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by PeterJ, Aug 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PeterJ

PeterJ Registered Member

When trying to backup the HD on my new PC with True Image, it failed to reboot with the ntldr missing error.
    On investigation by removing the external USB HD, the PC rebooted OK. Even on a normal boot up with the USB drive connected, the PC failed to boot. The new PC has a 200 gig SATA HD installed and there does not appear any
    settings in the BIOS to allow the PC to boot with the USB drive connected. My old PC with IDE drives had the USB drive permanently connected and always booted up without any problem.
    Is this a known issue with SATA Drives? as I have no previous experience with them.
    Peter.

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Was this when booting from the TI Recovery CD?
    Did you install TI on the SATA drive prior to the problem? Did you create a SecureZone or enable the TI Recovery manager?

Does the system fail to boot even with a simple USB 128MB-1GB pocket drive attached?

3. PeterJ

PeterJ Registered Member

TI was installed on the new PC and a boot disk made. Having read previous posts re Hidden partitions and as the PC used F10 to enter the recovery partition, I did not install Secure Zone or the TI Recovery manager.
    The PC failed to reboot from the TI Boot disk with the USB drive plugged in. Remove the USB drive and the PC will boot using the TI TI Boot disk.
    The system failed to boot with a USB 512 GB Stick or USB HD installed. The shop where the PC was purchased could not sort the problem out (If there was a problem?) so I had a refund, however still would like to find out if this is a problem with newer PC's and SATA drives.
    Peter.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Peter,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

I couldn't quite get how exactly the PC did not boot with Acronis Bootable CD. Did you get an "NTLDR file missing or corrupt" error when you plugged the USB drive? If so it is not the problem with Acronis software because Acronis Bootable CD doesn't use Windows files (such as NTLDR). If the problem was with booting into Windows after you plugged the USB drive then it may be the incorrect boot sequence in BIOS (the computer tried to boot with USB drive first) but people from the shop which sold the computer should have been able to sort this problem easily. It is difficult to investigate the problem now when you don't have the PC by your side but it seems that the problem is hardly related to Acronis software.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

5. PeterJ

PeterJ Registered Member

Hello Ilya, yes as originally stated the ntldr error showed when trying to boot from the Acronis Bootable CD. Also if any external device was plugged into any USB port the PC would not boot - "NTLDR file missing or corrupt" error 'no CD in drive' just a basic boot. The BIOS did not have any boot selection
    options, even the shops techie was suprised and phoned the manufacturer, but they could not help. I know it is not TI problem, it just came to light while trying to back up the HD.
    Thanks Peter.

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Peter,

I hope you managed to replace that computer with the new one that didn't show these problems and Acronis software worked find on that one. If you have any questions or remarks you are always welcome.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

7. TonioRoffo

TonioRoffo Registered Member

The problem is that your BIOS is seeing the USB drive as a new device. New devices get enumerated differently with Windows - Windows boots, checks for NTLDR and can't find it.

Disable "legacy USB support" in bios. Your drive will still work in windows, but will not become a int13 (bootable) device from the BIOS/DOS point of view.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.