New PC Doctor - KINGSOFT Security Releases Kingsoft PC Doctor 2.7

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by KingsoftSecurity, Jul 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Thanks. I will try to retest its capability as bad process detector.:cool:

2. KingsoftSecurity

KingsoftSecurity Registered Member

3. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

In my test machine (not VM) I run a file that kingsoft cloud detects on manual scan. The process came in task manager but KPD didnot pop out. On fast scan it detected the process and terminated it. So, the process realtime checkup is not working yet....

4. KingsoftSecurity

How did you make it into TM? Was it loaded into memory? Could you please send me the sample so we can check what happened?

5. KingsoftSecurity

Which version was you using? 2.7.1.70 or others?

6. KingsoftSecurity

Oops! Maybe I got the problem. As I sad before, KPD is working on ring 3, and not AV. That make our process protection cannot stop some deeper layer processes. That's why I recommended using KPD with other reliable AVs.

7. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

What is ring 3?

8. J_L

J_L Registered Member

More like on-execution protection.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_(computer_security)

Anyhow, I've tried this program, and am liking it. There are a lot of features, almost too much, but that's what make it special I guess.

Making it on-demand is very easy, just uncheck Auto-start, and no part of it will startup anymore. Even the service, which becomes manual. Exit via tray icon, and nothing will run in the background.

I have one minor problem though. Whenever I start the interface, it nags me to auto-start. Do not show again doesn't work.

9. KingsoftSecurity

Do not show again doesn't work? I will check it, thx for your reporting.

10. KingsoftSecurity

That information can be found on wiki. in the given link from J_L. AVs usually place hooks on deeper rings to monitor system modification. Because KPD is not AV, so we just place our hook on ring 3 to make sure there is no conflict with other AVs.

11. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Ok, I understand now. Thanks...:)

12. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

I think you're going in the right direction by putting out this product. The security landscape is way too competitive to break through with "your company" ("your company" being put into a generic perspective), that is, putting another player in the AV industry.

I like the proactive protection that you're putting out with this product, and since the software is free, I will always use KPD on my computers and I will recommend it to anyone I know = company success.

Cheers

13. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

@raven211: +1

Found a bug in KPD

The vulnerability manager seems not to work properly. In my XP machine it installed few patches but seems not to install everything that I found by checking for updates. Also there is a patch that is already installed in my system but KPD is constantly alerting me about it. I have installed the patch through KPD multiple times (made a reboot after that), also I have even installed the update by downloading from MS website.

bug KPD alert.JPG

bug KPD.JPG

So I have ignored the update.

Please correct the issue and also add an option to ignore the patch notification from alert pop-up.

14. raven211

I've experienced similar symptoms on my Windows 7 installation from what I can tell. I'm running 64-bit edition.

15. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Looks like Kingsofts detection have improved. I have taked 102 fresh samples collected from malc0de and on on-demand scan kingsoft cloud detects 70 of them and uploaded 19 others in the cloud. Please don't start bashing, but with same sample set on on-demand scan detections of kaspersky (77), eScan (78 ), Comodo (92) ArcaVir (60)

16. raven211

Sorry to say this, but too many crashes of KPD makes me uninstall it. I never keep unstable software on my PC.

Don't ask me to reproduce any of the codes, but when things get "heavy" cause of multitasking, the Flow Monitor tends to crash, and just now the whole software crashed.

That's all

17. boombastik

boombastik Registered Member

sg09 can u test with the same malware Kingsoft on execution? To see how good is the <ring 3>?

18. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Very sorry mate. I haven't setup a virtual environment because of hard disk space limitations (dual boot win7 and XP in 160gb). All I did is on-demand scan and I cannot risk on-execution on my real machine...:doubt:

19. KingsoftSecurity

I'm sorry to see that, and we'll resolve this problem soon. And the coming version will allow you to decide do not pop-up again.

20. KingsoftSecurity

Sorry to hear that, and our engineer will look at what happened in the "heavy" situation. Did you collect any DUMP for the crash? If yes, I would be sincerely appreciated.

21. KingsoftSecurity

We've updated the lib, if possible please try again. I suppose it should be right. Sorry for the inconvenience.

22. boombastik

boombastik Registered Member

New Update for kingsoft.
    Changelog:
    http://pcdoctor.kingsoft.com/forum/thread-128-1-1.html

1. Fixed several bugs to imporve the stability.
    2. Add an option on vulnerbility alert pop-up. Click the checkbox and this alert will not appear again.
    3. Repair the autostart alert pop-up, and it will not appear when you click the checkbox.
    4. Add the tab called "Defense". It make our real-time protection visible and to be controlled.
    5. Add a quick entry on Trojan scanning result page to report false positives on our forum.

23. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Nice changes...:)

24. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Hi Kingsoft Security Rep,

I have been talking to someone else on another forum about PC Doctor (http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/179860-kingsoft-pc-doctor.html) and they have also had issues with slow boot since installing Kingsoft PC Doctor. Their PC boot time had gone from 60 seconds to 4 mins. That seems about what happened to my PC as I had it installed.

Is their any logs or things we can do to get to the bottom of this issue so it can be fixed. It seems not all the machines are having this issue but now we know of three machines (the member of the other forum, mine, and ravens) that had these slow boot issues.

25. DBone

DBone Registered Member

I am the user Ibrad is referring to. :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.