New net rules set to make cookies crumble

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by dvk01, Mar 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

This is going to cause absolute chaos and many website owners based in EU will have problems

Especially this bit

The directive demands that users be fully informed about the information being stored in cookies and told why they see particular adverts.
    Specifically excluded by the directive are cookies that log what people have put in online shopping baskets. However, the directive is likely to have an impact on the more general use of cookies that remember login details and enable people to speed up their use of sites they visit regularly

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12668552

Does this apply only to sites hosted in EU or does it apply to any site worldwide who has EU visitors

I can see a major problem with forum log ins etc & all forum softwares will need to be updated and users warned & made to give specific consent to a cookie being used to log them in or keep them logged in

I can see the reasons behind it with regard to behavioural advertising but as usual the EU appear to thrown the baby out with the bathwater & the net as we know it will be broken

I for one won't be happy with hundreds of pop ups from every site asking my consent & what happens to those users with high set pop up blockers who won't see the alerts

2. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Hmm, I'm not sure. I read about plans for this before, but I didn't know it was already definitive. I think we need more details, for example, how does the consent work? When this rules were still in draft one of the propositions was just using the browser options for cookies as consent.

I'm also not sure if this is for the better of privacy, now data is stored client-side on the consumers browser in cookies, so the user has control over it, and if he/she wants they can block/delete it. When cookies are no longer usable to the Advertisement industry as a way to track users they might store the data server-side and then users don't have control over it anymore.

3. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I support the cause. Users should be given a choice of being tracked without resorting to blocking cookies themselves.

4. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Cookies... I like them... when I eat them.

It would be nice for a study to take place (has it already o_O) and see what's the real % of websites that actually need to store cookies. Most wouldn't, still they do!

Which is why I block them all; no mercy. I only allow them, when they're truly needed.

There will never be a solution that meets everybody's interests.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.