New MRG test results

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Dark Star 72, Jun 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pabrate

pabrate Registered Member

Ok, joking aside.
    I'll be honest as hard as I can now.
    I don't care about MRG at all, why would I ?
    I'm using Comodo Internet Security for a long time, all right ?
    MRG claims they can uninstall whole suite just by running their tool, without any popups, nothing ...
    As a Comodo user I have to be concerned about that claim.
    One of them (ChrisMRG) is acting like a child on Comodo forum, insult after insult against Comodo CEO etc.
    He doesn't bother to answer important questions about this issue.

You don't use Comodo and you find this boring ? Well, I'm sorry, I find many topics here boring but I don't moan.
    Again, I'm using Comodo product and I'm seriously concerned about MRG claim.
    Question is, is it real or not ?
    As for me, I don't beleive that video at all, so I continue to use Comodo.
    Let me ask you something...because they will not.
    What's the big deal about making available that tool for everyone to see what it does ?
    It's really simple, in my case, if I would somehow see for myself that it's true, I would uninstall Comodo and never install it again, MRG would be my idols.
    If you don't have answer for that and just find this boring, then just close this topic and move to something else, can't be that hard.

2. goroflack

goroflack Registered Member

I believe that is what is causing a lot of the "straining" between the two parties. I think if MRG were to simply make the tool available and people were able to see it for themselves it would be clear that there is a serious issue. I don't understand why, if your true intention is to make sure that users of a certain piece of software are protected from a exploit, you wouldn't release the POC. I understand its yours to do with it what you wish, but without it not many people will believe it, and if your intention isn't to help the company at all, why create the videos? Again you may create the videos then to publicly attempt to humiliate CEO/Company for an exploit is ridiculous if you aren't going to help them. I think there is a very thin line, between the so called black hats and white hats. It is the cooperation and the intentions that split these two groups.

I see myself as an outsider looking in so this is strictly my opinion and I don't really know everything that has happened. I just wrote as I saw it.

3. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

I'm not saying whether or not the MRG video is genuine,simple fact is nobody knows.However it is quite possible to fake a bypass on video as shown by Buster BSA in this thread:

http://www.sandboxie.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=55988#55988

4. Sveta MRG

Sveta MRG Registered Member

As has been explained to you several times and as we have stated form the start, we designed the simulator to appear as something other than what it actually is. In order to make a simulator that accurately represents real malware, you must use the techniques employed by real malware.

Real malware will try to pretend to be something legitimate. We designed this simulator to pretend to be something from a legitimate vendor.

Our simulator is an MRG product. That is to say, we created it in its entirety. It is not a modified nVidia product. Anybody with the most basic knowledge knows that you can use Visual Studio or any other linker to achieve this in the version resource section.

Please feel free to contact nVidia or whoever you think may listen to you if you think we have, in the words of Comodo employees “stolen” this simulator from nVidia.

Our contact details are on our website (our USA, UK and mainland European telephone numbers AND our email addresses) Please feel free to pass these on to nVidia.

We will be passing the simulator used in this project to some of the vendors in the test, so they will all be able to confirm its legitimacy.

We are also happy to have the Admins of Wilders look at the simulator – will this be enough to satisfy you?

Regards,
    Sveta

5. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

6. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Re Nvidia

Post 407

Post 439

That should convince any doubters :p and that day is approaching.

I've followed this test/debate from the start, and i have to say, i don't know how Sveta has managed to keep his cool all the while. And as far as i'm aware, english isn't his first language either.

I accept that entering into the comodo debarcle was a mistake, but i "guess" there are reasons we are not privvy to ;) at the moment anyway.

7. burebista

burebista Registered Member

I saw that any anti-MRG posts are deleted and those anti-Comodo are kept. Good work mods. :thumb:
    fax CIS is the subject in this thread. Take a look at this post which was not made after a user request (as you wrote and deleted by mod) but CIS 5 beta was tested on purpose by MRG almost instantly at launching in the Comodo beta forums (31-07-2010, 00:28:05).

mrg_crap.png

Anyway if you don't like Comodo junk enjoy MRG junk then. :gack:

Probably my post will be deleted again so from Matthew 5:3 Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

8. guest

guest Guest

Why the report is still unfinished? I thought that was yesterday when the final version will be release as somebody from MRG said.

Why a test that can be done in 2 days needs 1 month an a half?

9. shadek

shadek Registered Member

I cannot believe that 'fanboys' who are not satisfied with the actual result of the test are allowed to ruin this thread.

10. guest

guest Guest

Well if MRG were more transparent with their tests like all the others this wouldnt be happening and the people wouldnt have so many questions.
    Also MRG have been spending so many time attaking Comodo, check the videos in their channel, there are even home made malware dedicated only to destroy Comodo, also 1/3 of the videos talk only about how bad Comodo is.
    You can check the report and see that the 95% of the AV fail in the test but you can not see a single video on youtube.

And as far as we can see Comodo protects from the MRG tool since in the video you can see an alert that should be block instead allow it.

And about the MRG simulator there is no doubt that is not a fraud.

11. justenough

justenough Registered Member

I think we all know the answer to that by now.

12. fax

fax Registered Member

Again this thread is about an online banking test as published here and not about youtube videos or posts in other forums. Please stop polluting the discussion with your personal war against MRG. :gack:

13. guest

guest Guest

This is a war promoted and started by MRG against Comodo, and it does not start with this thread.

14. Sveta MRG

Let me remind you about one little thing, 5 Comodo videos were created because of requests from Comodo forum members. They asked for various program settings, CIS failed every time.

As for transparency, its good that you ask this question as this test has LIVE TEST RESULTS page. As of tomorrow 15 vendors will have access to our simulator. We are also happy to share the simulator with other testing organizations. If that is not transparent, I don't know what is.

Regards,
    Sveta

15. fax

fax Registered Member

Exactly... and this should not be the place to resolve it.

May be all of this could be moved to another thread? Subject: Youtube MRG testing of CIS
    Then a discussion/war could take place in PEACE :)

16. Einsturzende

Einsturzende Registered Member

what will satisfy me will be published test tool(s) with source code, like matousec does so everybody can see clearly, if application can be used by malware writers publish it to all interested parties, at least ones you tested "officially" and "unofficially"...

If you tested and printed that in video format on youtube you must provide enough information to tested parties unless you are rogue blackhat organisation or malware writer or extortioner.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  17. guest

guest Guest

And 1 of the videos was created because of your hate to Comodo.
    How much the vendors need to pay to get help to fix the problem?
    Can I have access to the simulator or I need to pay?
    Will you release the source code like all the other testing organizations does when a test finish?

18. pjb024

pjb024 Registered Member

So you will be letting Comodo have access to the simulator or are they treated differently?

19. Rampastein

Rampastein Registered Member

I must agree with fax about the Comodo vs. MRG thing, this topic is not about it.

I think it's enough if the vendors get it, since it's source code could be used by malware writers. And matousec asks for personal information and asks some foolish questions when you try to download their SSTS nowadays.

20. burebista

burebista Registered Member

Man, I'm nobody, I can't/don't want to make a war against MRG. All I want is to open some eyes here about MRG/whatever testing organization.
    As an new/unknown/unimportant testing organization first you should build trust. If you fail to make peoples trust you then your results are useless (even if they're OK and fair).
    And IMO from their behavior against Comodo it's obvious for any Homo Sapiens with at least one neuron alive that I (we?) can't trust MRG (at least not now). Today they bash Comodo. Tomorrow? Day after tomorrow?
    You have a point. :) I'll leave this topic and let you enjoy MRG results.

21. Sveta MRG

Comodo has already got the simulator. They received it as part of their auto submit function during group testing in March. We have confirmation from Comodo, dated 27 April that they had the simulator.

If you browse their forums, you will in fact find a post from their CEO stating they have the simulator. We are also prepared to release emails from their employees in which they confirm they have the simulator.

Given this fact, there is no need to send them the simulator as they admit they already have it and have had an opportunity to perform whatever analysis they choose on it.

Regsrds,
    Sveta

22. Sveta MRG

23. Dark Star 72

Dark Star 72 Registered Member

As the OP who started this thread I realised that there would be some hot air vented along the line. However I did not expect to see Melih despatch so many of his disciples here to cause so much trouble because Comodo failed. Any responsible vendor would have accepted the result and looked at it to see what could be done to improve their product. In a previous testing Zemana failed on I believe 2 tests, what did they do? They contacted MRG and then set about making sure they passed the next time and also gave credit to MRG in the release notes, and as you can see they have improved their product. That is being a responsible company.
    Some of you may remember the flame war that erupted when Scott Finney I believe it was gave Online Armor his firewall of the year award and Melih couldn't accept that there was anything on the planet that could hold a match to his beloved firewall so he openly accused Mike Nash of bribery.

Enough said.

So, if those said disciples cannot discuss the subject of this thread - namely the test results - would they please remove themselves and either debate their grievances in the link Sveta provided or start a thread of their own and leave the rational and unbiased to discuss the results in peace.

Thank you.

24. clocks

clocks Registered Member

~ Snipped as per TOS ~ Chris MRG makes hostile posts on the Comodo forums, in threads that he starts, and then people wonder why Comodo forum readers are speaking up?

The "group" keeps saying there are not going to test Comodo anymore, and they are not going to work with Comodo anymore, yet they keep making videos trying to discredit the program. They keep posting at Comodo forums insulting the companys moderators, programmers, CEO, etc...

On the videos they post, the ban anyone that doesn't agree with them. If they forget to disallow ratings when posting the video, they usually end up removing it entirely once they see most users are against them.

Again, MRG keeps saying they are done with Comodo, yet they keep posting their videos, and keep posting on the Comodo message board.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2010
  25. CogitoTesting

CogitoTesting Registered Member

Now that's what I call evidence. Well folks case close.

Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.