New MRG test results

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Dark Star 72, Jun 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

agree with sveta as MRG test the programs that we buy;) so thanks sveta for your honest test and for letting us know what is good or what is not good,your tests can help the massess to decide what to buy:D
    antivirus companies make the software(their job)sveta from MRG test the products capabilities to see it's potential(his job) and we buy the products(our job to decide):thumb: :thumb:

2. smage

smage Registered Member

You have no official talks with Comodo, so you are not offering any assistance to them. You have not submitted anything to them, you are just trying to show how to bypass Comodo. So in other words, you want hackers and malware writers to find a way to break CIS. You want to help people with bad intentions to compromise CIS users PCs and to steal their data, then you will be happy!

I'm sorry Sweta but you have deviated from your goal as a testing organisation.

I'm done with this for now, my wish is that MRG and Comodo can work together to resolve this issue. So unfortunate that there is no Comodo representive on Wilders, I would have taken up this issue with him as well.

Regards.

3. Sveta MRG

Sveta MRG Registered Member

We did offer our assistance to Comodo a while back but they didn't except it. We can't force people to do they they don't think is unnecessary. The videos are there to show that the issues we pointed out are serious and need fixing asap.

Regards,
    Sveta

4. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

Sveta, when you are going to officially close Browser Security Test and calculate final results?

5. Sveta MRG

On Monday the project will officially be closed and at the end of it we will give out our opinion on all the application used in the project.

Regards,
    Sveta

6. smage

smage Registered Member

Ok Sweta, do as you wish!

If you think that publishing vulnerabilities about security software on youtube without contacting the vendors is a good approach then go ahead as I cannot force you to be back on the right track.

Regards and good luck for your future.

7. Sveta MRG

Regards,
    Sveta

8. smage

smage Registered Member

Regards

9. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

Thank you for clarifications.

10. guest

guest Guest

Are the results going to be update until the day 30? or seeing that almost nothing change day after day is going to end in day 24?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2010
  11. Einsturzende

Einsturzende Registered Member

@Sveta MRG:
    could you explain this picture of your financial stealer simulator test file, captured from your last testing video?
    31.7.2010.png

12. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Yes, please do. Are you using a Nvidia signature with their knowledge?

13. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i think that MRG is doing a very good job at testing;)

14. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I think they are both shady and biased.

15. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

what do you exactly mean?:)

16. clocks

clocks Registered Member

A testing group should be unbiased, while MRG clearly is doing everything they can to make Comodo look bad, because of a personal grudge. They post videos, and then remove them if people question their testing methods. They avoid questions. They ban people from making comments about their videos unless they are in agreement with MRG. They are associated with SSUpdater.com. Unprofessional and raises doubts about their credibility. The list goes on. I don't trust them at all.

17. justenough

justenough Registered Member

Guess I'll weigh in here, there is something about this that has been bugging me for a long time.

I have no idea how foolproof MRG has designed their tests, but they obviously put a lot of effort into them. I enjoy reading their reports, though I try to put them into perspective and compare them to other well-known tests. I wouldn't want them to stop, even if they did have a vendetta against Comodo. I am able to take into account that there is a long-running feud going on there. That doesn't mean I discount MRG's results, because my personal opinion is there is some validity there. But I try to keep it all in mind, and maybe give Comodo tests by other outfits a closer look. Really guys, it's not that big a deal, take what you find useful and forget the rest.

But there is something I have noticed for a long time. There is a history at Comodo, and I for one will never have anything to do with their software because of it. Not sure how much I can say about it, but I think we all have read about the management's style and behavior in regards to software and personnel and people leaving because of those actions. I just think it is interesting that the meanest, nastiest tone I've seen here at Wilders comes from defenders of that company. It is like they are out for blood, as you can see in this thread.

And they won't leave it alone. They just keep hammering away. I don't know how many times I have read the same kind of attacks and MRG's explanations. True or not, it is their explanations, but for some reason it is never enough. The Comodo people keep hammering, MRG keeps explaining. One has to at least give MRG credit for patience. I'd have told them a long time ago that nothing was going to satisfy them, so what's the point of saying anything else to them about it.

18. Sveta MRG

From day one, we have made it clear that the FM simulator is designed to represent how REAL FM works. Financial Malware uses several ways to infect a system. It could be disguised as an update, a crack, a codec etc etc. We designed our simulator to pretend to be a display driver.

We have NOT used any proprietary data from Nvidia and have NOT, like has been stated in the Comodo forums, stolen any signature - we have NOT had the simulator signed by any third party. This is NOT a piece of malware, it is a private, in house tool used by us for testing and research.

If you read our report, you will see we state we will never release the simulator and will only let clients access it in our VMs.

Regards,
    Sveta

19. Boost

Boost Registered Member

I've emailed Nvidia to see what their take is on Sveta MRG's claims.

20. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Off topic posts removed. Please stay on topic and stay civil. Thank you

21. Sveta MRG

Back to the original topic.

The project will be completed today and we will publish the full version of the report as well as our conclusions on the whole project.

Regards,
    Sveta

22. Einsturzende

If you chose to file be disguised as display driver why then a different random name of file, that do not have any sense...
    You deliberately filled: file version, trademark etc. with nvidia signs and chose to display that in your movie for milisec. to led into believe that this is display driver?
    All this do not have any sense and I do not believe you a word you saying, I rather like to think you deliberately alter nvidia proprietary software for your testing purposes

23. Sveta MRG

You are still asking questions while all the answers are in the report.

In real world every piece of malware is designed to appear as something else, that is why people download them, that is why people get infected.

This is not an altered file, it is 100% original and created by us, as is detailed in the report.

Regards,
    Sveta

24. CogitoTesting

CogitoTesting Registered Member

In all fairness I think you have a point here. In this case that's where the term "ethical hacking" comes in to play. Even, for the sake of argument, you were to use NVDIA signature in one of your files; thus one must understand such a use was for the sake of testing.

Your intention in this case is good, not malicious. Keep on testing so that security software companies could improve their products and repair flaws. All in all the consumer wins. Keep on testing.

Thanks.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  25. Einsturzende

Why would anyone believe in words? I think there is enough indications that your words here and in report are not truth, so please give some real proof, not words

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.