Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by boney, May 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boney

boney Registered Member

greetings all...have just joined this forum after being hit by various trojans..primarily diallers etc..i am very new to computers and have had to reinstall my copy of m.e . i have norton av/zone alarm free/ avg av software running now....am i now safe and did formatting hard drive and reinstalling me get rid of trojans.

i appreciate beforehand any advise you may give an old duffer like me...ta chaps

dave

2. boney

boney Registered Member

sorry guys...just realised i posted in wrong place...theres a place for newbies like me...my appologies

dave

3. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Welcome dave ;)

Actually, not a bad place to post at all, since your post is aimed at trojans. To answer your question: pull a trial version from TDS, install, manually update the databas (radius) and perform a full system scan after doing so. Please post the results.

regards.

paul

4. boney

boney Registered Member

many thanks paul...much appreciated

getting tds as i type will inform you of results
    ta

dave

5. Paul Wilders

My pleasure dave.

While performing the full system scan, go and make some coffee - it will take a while due to the various deep scanning methods used ;)

regards.

paul

6. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hello there and welcome once again!
    After installing TDS (with other AV/AT closed) get the update for the definitions from the download site again (manually)
    and after installing TDS make sure you reboot;
    still AV closed and as many other programs as possible --since you're not around the PC you don't need them for a while anyway.
    Looking forward to your results.
    At the end, if there are alerts in the bottom console you can right-click on one of them and safe as text, which textfile you can post in your next posting here.

Last edited: May 28, 2004
  7. boney

boney Registered Member

many thanks you guys

tds came up with no problems

very relieved and impresed with software and most importantly..the help you guys give

believe me it is most appreciated.

dave

ps

how often would you reccomend i check my system?
    daily/weekly etc

once again

thanks all

dave uk

8. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

I'd say scan with "Normal Scan" or "Full System Scan" every few days :) more if you feel you need to, perhaps you download a lot of things. Be careful out there !

http://tds.diamondcs.com.au/index.php?page=update

Download the latest RADIUS.TD3 before scanning, we update this every day Mon-Fri (just updated now). Save the file to your TDS-3 install folder and overwrite the old file, then restart TDS-3 for it to be using the latest databases.

9. Paul Wilders

dave,

I do leave you in the very capable hands from Jooske and Gavin from now on ;). Final remark in addition to Jooske post: make sure there's no internect connection when disabling all running security software and performing a scan.

regards.

paul

10. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Congratulations with your clean system!
    and where are all those trojans, diallers, etc? Were removed already before?

Grab each working day a new radius update from the site and reload TDS --when you register you can do that with one press on the menu option or automated, if you prefer and TDS reloads automatically itself the database into TDS, to spare you the reload--
    Depending on your use and if you think you might have been in dangerous situations you can do it more often --also because in the evaluation version you can't install the exec protection, which is the resident protection in TDS blocking malware from executing-- in normal situations once a week is enough, but since your scan seems really quick you might like to do it more often.
    Upper left you see TDS > Edit Files > Scans > Full system Scan .txt that one you can configure to include all options from the scan control and save it again, in the scan control check all options there are for your next scan and save.

If there ever is found anything, you can submit it to the TDS lab for advice with a right-mouse click and choosing that option.
    Glad you like TDS!

11. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Not ALL the security software needs downed, just the AV/AT scanners,
    since the firewall can stay up and all the rest, email, whatever, but you probably don't need all that since you stepped away from the system anyway to get some coffee, walk the dog, do some shopping or housecleaning, sleep, eat, whatever :D The more you close (browsers, games, heavy applications) the more space TDS gets to speed up it's scanning job.

Did not hear nobody complaining about files protected by SpybotS&D or Ad-Watch and the kind of those during a TDS scan; can imagine that kind could use a temporary closing too if necessary.
    If TDS is up but not in a scanning process you can keep it up if one of your other scanners is scanning or resident protecting, no problem.

12. boney

boney Registered Member

thank you all so much...im honoured to have recieved such a pleasant welcome and freely given advice....

ive taken up too much of your time for now but rest assured i will keep up to date with the forum and may call upon your experiance again.

bye for now

god bless you all

dave

13. Paul Wilders

Be our guest, dave - and don't forget to post the scan results!

regards,

paul

14. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Dave,
    it's our pleasure to answer questions and help people with them, that's what we're here for and the whole forum is created for, as other users learn from reading the discussions again.
    Hope us all together jumping in at the same time didn't confuse you!
    Little forum secret: when one is composing a reply (s)he is not aware of others doing the same at the same moment, only after posting.
    Let's call it a coincidence and fortunately our answers are in line with each other :)
    The joy of course is also to learn your scan was clean!

Since you're on winME mind the system restore:
    if you ever have to clean out anything nasty, disable the system restore, reboot, enable system restore again and make a new restore point, so the malware can't slip back via a system restore again.

In the meantime, read in the Important sticky threads about some basic configuration and what more with TDS, hope you like it to keep you clean and safe!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.