New leader at Matousec

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Dragons Forever, May 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Matousec shows CIS as free, but the Comodo site does not show that. Am I missing something, or is Matousec incorrect?
    I thought I might try it, but am satisfied with OA and PC Tools freebies.

Added: Evidently the CIS installation gives the option of installing only the firewall. I suppose that is free, but not sure.

Regards,
    Jerry

Last edited: May 16, 2010
  2. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Matousec is correct, however Comodo website sucks big time lately, heavily misleading and trying to push their paid stuff (which basically is nothing but technical support plus the free version of CIS)

:thumbd:

3. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

So I assume one must download the IS, and then install only the firewall which would be free/

Thanks,
    Jerry

4. doktornotor

The whole thing is free. They don't have any Pro version of the installer. You only pay for their "expert help" and some service called "Trustconnect" (sort of VPN, again not included in the installer).

5. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks, that is confusing.
    Regards,
    Jerry

6. doktornotor

Download here: http://www.comodo.com/home/download/download.php?prod=cis

Yeah, the site is confusing and contains references to bogus products such as Comodo Firewall, Comodo Antivirus or Comodo Anti Malware which basically don't exist as standalone, all part of the suite. :cautious:

7. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Got it, thanks.
    Jerry

8. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Well, they're giving it for free man! :D
    If you don't like it, don't use/recommend it.

Anyways, i like their Firewall/D+ excellent protection :argh:

9. ALookingInView

ALookingInView Registered Member

No offense, Noob, but that always seems to be the COMODO crowd's answer to everything -- "it's FREE!!".
    It could be payware for all I care, payware as in they pay me to use it and I still wouldn't install it on any of my machines.

Anyway, New leader at Matousec.. what can I say but yay! :rolleyes:

10. ace55

ace55 Registered Member

I believe Trustconnect is even free now, with paid users receiving more (unlimited?) bandwidth. Trustconnect is a VPN over port 443. Basically forced https for all traffic, at least as it travels between you and comodo's servers.

11. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

Free or not, Matousec or not, this is the true and the only fundamental thing. Excellent and granular protection. Invulnerable ? Sure not, who is? Powerful and safe ? Yes. All the rest are rumors.

12. PC_Pete

PC_Pete Registered Member

Quotec from Matousec test:
    "if the product succeeds in all our tests, it does not mean that it is perfect. Our tests are focused on the security and stability, but there are many other aspects important for the users like performance, hardware requirements, easy to use, availability of support, price, vendor's reaction time to new threats etc."

Don't get me wrong josh (and other 'Comoderos'), but as a sometime user of Comodo CIS 4, I do think of it as a security suite that is still in search of an effective first-line-of-defense that doesn't rely on the PC user (now it's the sandbox asking me questions!), whose firewall passes sensationalist so-called leak tests with flying colours because it thinks it's the "only guy in the room".

13. ALookingInView

Safe in the right hands maybe.
    Anyway, why are these "Proactive Security Challenge" results still being posted in the other firewalls section?
    Even Matousec wisened up and changed the name from Firewall Challenge.

14. Vladimyr

Vladimyr Registered Member

Could be because despite the name change, still only the firewall is tested.

15. ALookingInView

All due respect, but last time I checked products like Mamutu didn't have a firewall.
    I must be missing something?

16. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Well, it's true.
    I kind of a Comodo software fan but i consider my opinions are not biased :D

17. Leach

Leach Registered Member

Anyway all these tests are synthetic and have nothing to do with reality. Made all to themselves, there are too many assumptions and complete user ignoring.

Last edited: May 17, 2010
  18. PC_Pete

PC_Pete Registered Member

That could explain why it only scored 2% in the
    Firewall Challenge report.;)

19. ALookingInView

It was renamed Proactive Security Challenge some time ago, I assumed to clear up confusion.
    I fail to see why it would score anything if it were a firewall test considering it doesn't have a firewall feature though. ;)

Last edited: May 17, 2010
  20. Leach

Leach Registered Member

Matousec is testing not firewalls but certain components of it. Mamutu has covered the test requirements and thus was accepted. Firewall classical meaning excludes the consept of HIPS, proactive and such... it's just a packet filtering feature in classical terms. If we are talking about security product in a whole we need a complex security product's testing which are made closer to real conditions to understand how strong it is. Testing one component of the complex product means nothing to me.

21. doktornotor

Well, Mamutu vendor never asked for being tested by Matousec, for starters. On the contrary, they've asked to be removed from the testing due to the broken methodology which tests products in "rounds" and Mamutu fails in round one exactly because it isn't a packet filter and most tests in round 1 test packet-filtering so Mamutu immediately "fails". So, without the totally broken methodology Mamutu would score much higher than those 2% rating that Matousec constantly keeps "awarding" them.

I'm getting pretty tired of this clown, to be honest. And so seem many security vendors.

22. ALookingInView

Most people I come across that cite these tests, outside of this forum anyway, take the results to be gospel.
    If a product scores high on these tests then it is most certainly a "strong firewall".
    Conversely, the products that score low on the tests have a "weak firewall".
    A great marketing tool for those vendors that choose to milk utilize it, that's for sure. :D

23. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

ha ha! obviously they are paid by comodo not to recomend any other product,... what bollocks :gack:

24. Vladimyr

Vladimyr Registered Member

Terminology can a barrier to understanding.

A traditional firewall stealths/blocks incoming traffic. This test seems to be about how only the so-called firewall, HIPS, whatever, of each product blocks outgoing calls, or "leaks", regardless of whether or not (a) that part of the product is available as a stand-alone item, or (b) the "leak" is actually malicious.

25. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

Naturally, as all the real HIPS. Saying CIS safe and powerful I didn't relate to Matousec test: they might also be not conclusive or not fully trusty, but CIS, as SSM when it lived, and few others HIPS, demonstrates on the wild his effectiveness.

p.s.: it's not absolute and invulnerable, I am already waiting for future posts as " CIS didn't protect my pc...CIS was bypasssed and I lost all my data... ". :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.