New keylogger tests from Zemana

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by aigle, Aug 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

2. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

3. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I didn't "shoot". I'm simply forwarding the information SandboxIE's website has for quite some time.
    It explains what will work and what won't inside the sandbox. It doesn't say it defeats all keyloggers known to man.

Re: Zeman AK, why would i want it?

4. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

Yes, it´s permitted globally, but it has to phone home as well. Based on the assumption that your system not already have been compromised by an installed logger application, you could solve this by only permitting e.g. your browser to be the only application in the sandbox having access to the Internet. This, in conjunction with using the latest update of your preferred browser (without any known vulnerabilities), where scripts, iframes and plug-ins are disabled by default. These should only be activated, if required, per site through whitelisting.

But I agree that it´s kind of worrying, so hopefully Tzuk will add some sort of global restriction for these kind of applications as well.

/C.

5. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Cerxes, it's not that global to begin with. I think they will only work within the sandbox, for sandboxed programs. They can't log from programs outside the sandbox for instance, at least that's what i always thought.

I haven't read the above links for a while (a year probably), but they should say something like this.

6. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

@Pedro: O.k, I ran those Zemana leak tests for a couple of weeks ago, and they didn´t have any problem logging other applications, sandboxed or not. But in reality if they were malicious, they would need to phone home as well, and here you can administer some countermeasures with Sandboxie in conjuction with the application it´s sandboxing (based on the assumption that your system hasn´t already been compromised).

/C.

7. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

Pedro, I've read that page before and that is exactly what is worrying. We are told that sandboxed key loggers can only log other programs inside the sandbox and not globally. However, my results are the same as Cerxes's. The key logger can log key strokes any program sandboxed or not.

That is my practice however the application filtering in sandboxie is based only on file name. I'm sure it is quite leaky!

8. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

Yes, I agree. But these above mentioned practices together with the house rule (that hopefully most Sandboxie users applies) that when performing online transactions, one should always close and restart a new sandbox session. And when done, always close the session for deleting the contents of the sandbox. These practices should cover most, if not all keylogging attempts during a limited session (unless the web site you are visiting have been compromised, but that´s another story).

/C.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2008
  9. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Thank you for the reply. I needed that info. Even though i know SBIE is not an anti-keylogger, so realize that limitation, i didn't expect that.

And you are correct, Sandboxie is to be used in one way, and one way only - flush the sandbox between regular session and critical session.

Just to be sure, you ran it sandboxed correct?

10. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

pedro mira sandboxie is really good when it comes to save malware or jail them in the sandbox but to prevent the action of a keylogger it takes more than that probably just by blocking the file extention will do the job for sure,entiendes pedro:thumb:
    note:a well configure sandboxie will be also able to blocks executables too but only in a virtual enviorment not in your real os.

11. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Flush the sandbox, that's it.

12. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

in other words you damn skeapy.

13. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Skeapy?

14. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

dont worry about the word i forgot how or the spelling for it:D what i ment is that you are rigth pedro:thumb:

15. demoneye

i think the best protecion reading all this thread is combine SB + AE3....so nothing u dont know can run....all this zemana test are *.exe files ;)

16. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

Yes, das ist correct.

/C.

17. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

100% agree with you:thumb:

18. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

or just by running Anti-executable alone will provide a very good level of protection.

19. Stubborn

Stubborn Registered Member

Hi there,

I'm using NOD 32 v.3.0.672.0. for almost a year. I'm sorry to say, but it has failed all Zemana leak tests in my laptop.

Nevertheless, I can't run Zemana with Sandboxie previous installed on my system. It makes Windows unable to reiniciate.

Windows XP Pro SP3, ZoneAlarm Firewall (free version), NOD32 and Zemana (1.2.2.425).

20. demoneye

yesssss :cool:

21. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i have like a week trying ProcessGuard 3.5 with out any antivirus/antispyware/firewall and tested with real malware and also visited your loc
    ation(HELL)and i achieved my goals(no infections at all).i do a weekly scan with diferent malware scaners and ended up finding only cookies.my security point of view is very simple insted of watching on malware i block the file extentions and only allow what i believe is safe to download ofcourse first examine the file with a good malware scaner(free one)and then introduce it to my Os:thumb: my choice is Block all and allow only by exception:thumb:

22. demoneye

ProcessGuard 3.5 is like deny all yill u aprove it.........its very annoying to work with it from self experience , u have to aprove everything , not mention when uninstall/install software...

23. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

very simple here:)
    denny all no pop ups at all,just block all and only allow what i need to allow(only once).

24. demoneye

yes , but abig BUT , when u often install / uninstall software for testing or what ever ... PG 3.5 realy get annoying and tolerable :mad:

25. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i know,
    what i do when i do some testing i disable it and fire up sandboxie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.