New KAV 4.5 Personal/Pro Beta

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by SKA, Apr 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SKA

SKA Registered Member

Maybe of interest to some of you:

ftp://ftp.kasperskylab.ru/beta/KAVWindows/KAVPersonal/English/kavpers45beta_eng.exe

It's really Great to have AV Betatesters In The Wild !

SKA

2. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

No thanks, I have already tested the Personal Pro beta-version 4.5, IMO no (major) changes to the recent official latest release, except that the Anti-Virus Monitor in the beta-version is very instabil.

Maybe beta-version 5 will bring some major changes?

3. controler

controler Guest

:eek:

It doesn't matter anyway. The link is bad.

4. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

You're right, I thought I had removed the link in my reply but I didn't, have changed my reply and removed the link.

5. RaLX

RaLX Registered Member

Link works here.

6. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

I think you are misunderstanding Controler, the beta-version for Kaspersky Beta should not be announced in public.....

7. RaLX

RaLX Registered Member

Oops, yes I misunderstand. :p

8. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

Goes well for me, but Im lazy and still prefer the Lite :)

9. wizard

wizard Registered Member

It will. :) I have seen an alpha version of KAV 5 last month on Germany's CeBit show and I can tell you it is major change in handling (and as Eugene promised) also in usage of resources.

wizard

10. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

That is very good news for a lot of people including myself, IMO KAV is the best but really needed urgent the changes mentioned by you! :)

11. solarpowered candle

More info on kav 4.5 beta personal and pro
    http://forums.useice.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?s=3ea5f8620d47ffff;act=ST;f=1;t=38
    It is very nice

12. controler

controler Guest

I downloaded my new Beta copy but it says it is clipped. Now where do i get my KEY ? :D
    Some very nice improvements indeed.

13. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Message by Kaspersky:

"Hi All, It has previously been posted but you are welcome to beta test latest Personal and Personal Pro versions using your existing version 4.0 keys."

14. controler

controler Guest

Well I don't have my existing key and furthermore the copy I installed caused my XP system to bog way down. Especialy after comming out of suspend mode. I therefore uninstalled it.

15. Tinribs

Tinribs Registered Member

Similar results here, I gave it a whirl but was unimpressed,hopefully v5 will address these issues.

16. root

root Registered Member

I'm really surprised guys. I had a terrible time with KAV 4.0 and above as it drug my system down to a crawl.
    I have experienced no, nada, 0, zilch, not even a hint of a performance hit with KAV Pro 4.5 Beta.
    I have Win2K SP3, 256 Megs ram on a Dell PIII 733 MHZ. Certainly no speedster by todays standard.
    Anyway, I have heard from Alexey Kalgin, Product development manager that version 5 will have a pop3 client monitor and have heard that version 5 will be three times faster than version 4.
    Some may not find it worth while, but if you have problems with the 4.5 beta, Kaspersky is looking for feedback and suggestions. Lisa posted the addys at the Iceland board.
    I sent a suggestion to Kaspersky this morning and got a reply in half an hour.
    For those that are happy with a pure AV, NOD32 is fine. For those of us that want our AV to catch everything it can catch, it is worth our while to help Kaspersky in developing the right product, I think.
    There can never be too many good security software choices. The more the better.

17. solarpowered candle

Good post Root. KL have made rapid strides of recent months to communicate with the average pc user and to actually listen to there comments , which is a big thing .The fact that your comments are listened to and acted upon to improve the overall proformance of the Kav is very good and can only result in products that are constantly improved to make our lives on the net easier and more secure. Its not what shirt we wear as you say root , its helping towards having the best protection available to us ,and choices
    new screenshot of the KAV5 http://forums.useice.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?s=3ea9de0f63bcffff;act=ST;f=1;t=39

18. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Hello Root!

Because IMO KAV is the best there is, I was willing to help Kaspersky in developing the right product, and fill-in the form found on their site to apply for beta testing participation.

Maybe you are a lucky guy and therefore you get an reply in half an hour, I am still waiting on their reply. :(

Therefore my interest to help them is already beyond.

19. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Smokey,

Was this the main Russian site? I am still waiting for an e-mail response after 3 months!!! :'(

Some people have reported fairly quick responses but overall I have found their support to be very poor at the main Kaspersky site.

However, I would suggest strongly to use either their unofficail site;

http://forums.useice.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi

or their UK site, where Lisa Clancy generally replies within minutes!!!!

As for beta testing, my view is that they use a very restricted number of people, particularly Russian, for testing and their beta-testing period is quite short.

I placed a post over at the unofficial site awhile back requesting that they consider a wider beta-testing team and they have released the beta over at the site, with contact addresses for report backs.

If Kaspersky had carried out sufficient beta-testing of KAV4 and AntiHacker they could have 'ironed out' a number of the problem areas found in the early releases.

From what I can see they are using the KAV4.5 as a stop-gap to iron out any teething problems so that KAV5 can be pushed out quickly sometime in the Summer/ Autumn.

They need experienced KAV users like yourself to help them develop even better products. Therefore, widen the beta-testing teams(s) and the period of beta-testing.

Look at the time of beta-testing and the people involved with Version 2 of NOD32. It is bound to be a good product!!!!

Let's hope they see the light!!!!

20. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

I have fill-in the form on the site www.kaspersky.com, thanks for your suggestion but I will not use their "unofficial" site.

When Kaspersky is not able reply to people who are capable to test their products, my taste and interest is gone.

I spend rather my valuable time to companies which handles people serious.

21. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Smokey

I hope you will reconsider your decision not to join the unofficial site.

Root, Tinribs, Fedorov, Solarpoweredcandle and others from wilders frequent this site and we have learned a lot.

Several of us, including myself have rarely received any adequate support from the main Kaspersky site and I would have given up on KAV4 without the help I received from the UK Kaspersky site and the 'unofficial site'.

In addition the 'official' forum site on the main Kaspersky page is a joke as no one from the company posts there. Whereas a number of Kaspersky people post over at the 'unofficial site'.

Hope you will reconsider.

22. Tinribs

Smokey, I understand and agree with your standpoint here, but if your reasons for not using the unnoficial site is because they are not an official mouthpiece dont worry, Kaspersky have a great customer rep there called Lisa who is very helpful and passes questions directly to those who can answer, and normally very quickly. :)

23. Tinribs

I notice the last registered user is a 'Smokey' :)
    If its you Smokey I'm glad you're going to give them a chance to help :)

24. controler

controler Guest

I just got keys for both the personal & personal beta Pro
    I feel KAV is a good product and they are trying very hard to produce one of the best AV's. Therfore I am downloadeing the beta again and going to give it a through working over.
    Any company that takes the time to e-mail me a key to fully try out their product deserves much respect from me.

Thank You to the people at KAV

con

25. Patrice

Patrice Registered Member

Hi people!

Here some additional info about KAV 4.5 Personal Pro Beta which might be interesting to you:

Overall three processes are started at startup. The processes are:

-avpcc.exe (464 KB)
    -avpm.exe (592 KB)
    -avpcc.exe (464 KB)

I don't know why the process avpcc.exe is started two times, but there's certainly a good reason. In idle state, these processes use this amount of RAM:

-avpcc.exe (2'304 KB)
    -avpm.exe (7'040 KB)
    -avpcc.exe (2'372 KB)

Note that it was tested on a machine with Windows XP Pro installed, 1'100 MHZ, 256 MB RAM and 20 GB Harddisk.

Here the same data for Norton AntiVirus 2003, so that you can compare the above mentioned data:

Processes started at startup:

-ccEvtMgr.exe (320 KB)
    -navapsvc.exe (116 KB)
    -ccApp.exe (54 KB)

Used RAM in idle state:

-ccEvtMgr.exe (2'452 KB)
    -navapsvc.exe (692 KB)
    -ccApp.exe (6'596 KB)

NAV 2003 was installed on the same machine as above.

Hope that helps some of you! ;)

Best regards!

Patrice

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.