New kaspersky user

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by mike21, Jun 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Any specific reasons why you are not using the recommended settings for the File and Web AV?

2. mike21

mike21 Registered Member

OK fixed. I followed your instructions: disabled the "Web Anti-Virus" and set the recommended Security level under "File Anti-Virus". No slowdowns atm.

Also as for the minimum level of protection is because I am not opening exe files without checking them first, I mainly use yahoomail as my email service which scans all emails and don't even let you download an infected attachment and finally I consider myself at an intermediate level of computer user so I am not as vulnerable as a beginner

3. Benvan45

Benvan45 Registered Member

Asking again......Is there a possibility of creating a complete optimal configuration, like Blackspear did for Nod32?
    I would really appreciate that and makes the use of Kav/Kis a lot easier, instead of all those separate configuration advises.

4. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Wow, you sure have slimmed it down!:eek:

I would actually try (just to see) to enable the web-av and try the "Streaming scan" first, this will use a limited an mount of the signatures (mainly ITW stuff) instead of the whole signaturebase.

Next thing you could try is to uncheck "Scan HTTP traffic", but keep the scriptchecker which is a help if you use IE, but not needed if you use Opera/Firefox.

Anyway if you are experienced you can just keep the settings you have now and as i said earlier, do an on-demand scan regularly with these two set to "High" security: "Scan my computer" + "Scan" in the settings. If you have many files on your pc, then you can start a scan when going to bed if you use the "Do shutdown computer when finished". :)

Attached Files:

• 41.png
      41.png
      File size:
      22.8 KB
      Views:
  5. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Why don't you post this request over at the Kav forum.

There are a number of very bright KAV users there, who given the time, could put together a optimal configuration guide to both KAV and KIS.

BUT there are a number of minor problems with some of the modules which need to be ironed out and the MPs have yet to make an appearance. Further, as stated previously, some of the glitches/problems seem to be system specific. So maybe once KAV/KIS 6 has settled down, a Full Guide would be possible.

In the meantime, you can check some of the old posts which have a mine of information in them!

At the present time, I am just using the File AV with its default settings and it works fine so far!

6. Benvan45

Ok Blackcat, thanks again and I think it's better waiting for a while then. I'll keep in mind about the default settings with the file AV.
    Thanks again. ;)

7. mike21

mike21 Registered Member

I feel that I am nearly at an end of my new AV customization.

My only question now is when I set default options at the file Anti-Virus and then go to:

Protection>File Anti-Virus>Security Level>Customize>Compound Files
    (Productivity: San new and changed files only)

Now if I check the first two boxes (Scan Archives & Scan Installation Packages which are not checked by default), this means that these files will be scanned only when are new/changed and if I leave it unchecked they will be scanned everytime accessed – or it means something else?
    The help file informs the usability of these two boxes only when the Productivity checkbox is unchecked.

Thanks in advance

8. Benvan45

Man....oh man, wouldn't it be nice to have one great AV scanner, which is configured properly for 'everybody' right out of the box?
    This whole discussion dazzles me and I won't be looking at this anymore. I'm really beginning to lean towards the 'simple' scanners more and more........I really understand why Norton and McAfee are sold and/or used most. Funny thing is: they are pretty good also!
    Have fun!

9. SDS909

SDS909 Registered Member

I tend to agree. These days I don't have the time to "Fuss" with stuff. My time is too valuable to waste doing it. So I go for the simplest, with the most reasonable detections, and lightweight on the system drag.

I leave it at that.

10. Benvan45

Finally.....may I know which one you tend to go for?

11. SDS909

SDS909 Registered Member

These days, VBA32 or Antivir, lately, due to VBA32's noted problem with on-access scanning, Antivir has been. Barring a small problem today with their updater, I am enjoying the product.

Pretty much install and forget about it, configured out of the box how I wanted it.

12. Benvan45

Good choice, great scanner indeed and above all......Simple!

I'm unsubscribing from this thread now....!!;)

13. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

I couldn't agree more Benvan45. It does become mind numbing after awhile. I'm beginning to believe set and forget is not that bad. I have a license for NAV 2006, and I my ISP offers free McAfee for their customes. I just might go back to one of them and forget all these AV discussions. :)

14. SDS909

SDS909 Registered Member

Free McAfee? I wouldn't even debate the topic, go and install it. :D If my ISP offered anything but a BILL for free, I'd use it. :thumb:

15. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

I did take advantage of their offer about six months ago. The only thing that I didn't like about McAfee VS 10 was that it doesn't have an activity log. There is no way to see what files are scanned. That is basically why I stopped using it. Not the greatest reason to not use an AV, but at the time it seemed logical. :D

16. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Why does iSwift need a full on-demand scan to work correctly with the RTM? I have never done a full scan and don't see a reason to do one unless I have reason to think I am infected. I assumed iSwift would learn from the scanning it does as I use the computer.

17. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I had just heard about the problems to configure NOD 32 and now Kaspersky seems to go to the same side.
    I think it will be a much better idea to have an option ' install and forget' for those who want to take it easy.

18. Benvan45

That's the way to think, yes...yes and yes again. For the fanatics, who rather frig around for hours, it's great, but for 'all' users, there should be a basic proper configuration with the knowledge, that everything is secure! That's what the product is bought for.

19. mike21

mike21 Registered Member

AVs that have many configuration options are not for the “fanatics”

The better and the more in depth the application is, the more complicated configuration requires in order to give the maximum. See for example the Directory Opus or the Photoshop.

I am not a fanatic but I know that to get better results from an AV I have to dig into the configuration, but its not so deep as you say.

Also if you scroll up, you will see another post of yours, whereby you wrote “This whole discussion dazzles me and I won't be looking at this anymore”. After that you posted again 3 more times! And all these times you are saying again the same things that you said in the first reply you gave me (in the first page of the thread).

Maybe its better to (truly this time) stop looking in this thread, so I get the answers I want from people that want to provide, because I started this topic only to get help with Kaspersky configuration.

Thanks

20. Benvan45

To do you a great favour.......I won't be looking here again, sorry......I'm so very sorry. You must be feeling bad now......Oh my, I'm so sorry. I hope you won't get confused any more than you are now.
    Goodbye and have fun with all the configurations!

Just making a plea for all AV scanners: Keep it simple.....simple.....simple, so that 'all' pc users can have the benefit of a good and secure product.

Goodbye.........:D

21. Davidpr

Davidpr Registered Member

The CA EZ AV is very simple. Is that why it is not as popular as some others or is it all down to performance?

22. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Actually it is for most users if you use kaspersky Internet Security 6.0, you do not have to tweak anything other than maybe if you are on some sort of network/sharing, in this case you will need to uncheck stealth, but that is pretty common in this type of setup, but regarding security it is configured very safely and you do not have to do a thing (until a virus is found of course!, but you can avoid that too by setting actions to auto), but you can and this was something critisized by many about version 5.0, this you now can if you wish, but do not have to unless you want to, not all like set & forget, some wants more options to tweak settings to their liking though, not exactly a bad thing.

For kaspersky 6.0 anti-virus, yes you need to tweak your firewall (not if you use XP firewall though) and you can see more about this here:http://www.kaspersky.com/faq?qid=187798238.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.