New is Better? (Not Necessarily)

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by DVD+R, Nov 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

A few points to add:
    • Outpost 4.0 adds some major security features which in turn require far more monitoring and interception of Windows functions. This greatly increases the scope for conflict with other software and early betas had some "interesting" features for some users (like blocking access to some Control Panel functions or forcing applications to start with minimised windows). It is clear that problems still persist for some and likely will do for some time, but this has been the case with every previous Outpost release also (and applies to many competing products).
    • I have found memory and CPU utilisation with the current release 4.0 to be significantly lower than 3.5 - I have a 1GHz Pentium III system with 512MB RAM which is a fraction of the specification of the original poster's system and with heavy network utilisation have seen CPU utilisation drop from 50-70% down to 20-40% (there are some known causes of high CPU utilisation covered in the Outpost forum FAQ Resolving High CPU Utilisation Issues with Outpost so reviewing this may help). I have however seen ODBC errors reported after several hours of heavy traffic (running a Tor exit node) and when this happens, Outpost's logging is disabled and memory usage escalates. I have also encountered occasional VC++ errors which in turn I have submitted to Agnitum's Bug Tracking System. If the next release is going to fix these, then that is good news and shows that Agnitum do fix problems, contrary to what some frustrated posters may believe.
    • The extra features of 4.0 can be disabled for those who don't want them or who have other software that covers the same areas. No firewall can provide a complete security solution so having the flexibility to adjust Outpost's protection to avoid overlaps with other software should be viewed as a positive, not a negative.

2. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Paranoid2000 I'm not frustrated, I'm totally pissed off! and further more I'm beginning to think there are only 2 tech help people actually working at Agnitum, for instance, every email reply from Agnitum has been from someone called Anastassia, and every online response has been from someone called Angelina. Maybe I should have had your ID and be called Paranoid too, because this really gets me thinking, and sugestions of tampering/renaming Agnitum Outpost system files to actually resolve a problem really sugests that they have no bloody Idea what customers are talking about. "Resolved" means exactly that! It does not mean that when you install a Newer resolved version of Outpost, you get the same damn warning message, that a certain software installed on your computer, may make Outpost have stability issues with your system. Agnitum clearly announced on their website that a major update had been released to fix certain stability issues with several software, and those errors had been fixed. Well thats bullshit! I installed the new released version of Outpost when it was released on Nov 7, and it still informed me that Webroot SpySweeper installed on my machine could cause stability issues, Their so called fix for this was to add it to Outpost Special Exclusions (Again) If it was really fixed, then the need to add software that is incompatible to exclusion lists would NOT! be nessecary :isay:

3. yankinNcrankin

yankinNcrankin Registered Member

Thank the powers that B I got the latest and newest version of my firewall....:rolleyes:

4. cprtech

cprtech Registered Member

They have adopted that '90's slogan:"We can do more with less :) " Yaaay!

Seriously, I wouldn't give up that easily on Agnitum. They had some serious issues with their initial 3.x releases, before fine-tuning it into the excellent and very stable 3.51. The trouble with Agnitum from the customer standpoint is they don't really communicate their development progress, so the customer often perceives this as a sign that nothing is happening. I'm sure if you submit a bug report, as I and others have on this C++ Runtime issue, they will address it, if they aren't already doing so.

5. Paranoid2000

Well if you feel that strongly, your best bet would be to switch to another product. The grass may or may not be greener as a result, but boycotting a company is the only real way of protesting about their products.
    If you are referring to renaming wl_hook.dll (which is one workaround mentioned in the "Known Issues" section of Outpost 4.0 - What to Expect) then that is perfectly reasonable advice if a conflict with Outpost's AntiLeak function is suspected.
    If your complaint is about the warning message, then I would say that Agnitum are quite entitled to err on the side of caution and warn people even if they believe they have fixed the cause - there may be other causes after all and serious issues have in the past taken several releases to sort out (hyperthreading being one notable example with Outpost 2.x).

Also SpySweeper has had a conflict-prone history (System Safety Monitor, Process Guard, McAfee and F-Secure all having had problems reported with it in the past) so maybe considering an alternative to that may be an easier option?

6. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

What a load of crap! its an excuse because they know they should have taken more time before rushing out a release, I emailed them several issues with the release candidates, and this is how they addressed them. Lets put it simply shall we :isay: You buy a new car,and the salesman says to you : "Sir you have made an excellent choice, but I must advise you that your breaks might fail, If you drive down a steep hill, unless you readjust them to your foot pressure" Yeh! right, I'm sure you would say, "Well sell me a damn car whos breaks are fine then" which in computer technology translates to. "Sell me a damn firewall that wont crash if I put it on my system" :isay:

7. hiro

hiro Registered Member

DVD+R, tells you in advance that and useless to speak with some autposts fan, they are all an it is able paranoid, and they think that the autpost and infallible. Do I have a bad experience with the "autpost tester?"o_O, thin to the personal offenses because I have warned that autpost doesn't cover a hole, that after he has been verified and resolved.
    After that, anybody excuse, not even a small graces from anybody.

Paranoid will remember the "direct\memory", hi Paranoid2000.

The new version has a great hole but you doesn't have to who to report. And then I wonder me to who need a firewall that does his job (does it occupy resources) as a scarce MPEG encoder however with integrated spywareo_OLOL

Last edited: Dec 1, 2006
  8. Paranoid2000

I didn't actually, but a search brought up the Outpost forum Some 4.0 Leaktests thread. Anyone wondering what Hiro was alluding to should may wish to review it.

9. hiro

hiro Registered Member

him each can see, on the that threads which was your first reaction! Deleted all my post.
    see #20 and #23. And later it persuades it of great experts to understand the problem and all them.

I will say here what I have not told them to great "expert" kronckew on the this comment

dear kronckew this comment and order to the contest for stupider comment of the year, and dear kronckew not to fear, will win sure!

Question for you Paranoid2000, Outpost have three NEW BIG bug,where can I post it just for one small graces (just thank you)?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2006
  10. Rickster100

Rickster100 Registered Member

Hello,

Have you both tried installing the latest Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package (x86) - as this has helped some Outpost users with a similar C++ issue.

As outlined in this Outpost Forums thread, in particular Post #21. This action seemed to help some users. The main overview of this thread was that some users having problems were running "slimmed down" versions of XP installs. As some windows components had been removed is it any wonder people will have problems getting some software to work on their systems? And/or it could be a conflict with other programs running on your setups. There are many possibilities here. Just something to consider folks. :blink:

If you both are running fully installed versions of Windows, perhaps some windows components have somehow been corrupted, so a reinstall from the link supplied above might help. If this reinstall solves your problems, then Outpost cannot be blamed. If after this, there is still nothing resolved then I suggest a posting in the Outpost User Forums if you havent already done so.

Whilst I cannot speak for Paranoid2000 himself, my experience of Outpost (and yes, im talking about the latest version 4.0 release) has been running absolutely fine on my system. I have had NOT ONE SINGLE ISSUE. So this "Outpost Fan" is inclined to defend this product, since im having no problems with it at all. :)

Richie

11. Paranoid2000

None of your posts in that thread were deleted but a previous thread of yours was removed by another moderator because you uploaded an .exe directly and refused repeated requests to link to the file instead. Forum moderators are quite entitled to take such measures for the security of visitors and I fully support the action taken in your case. If you wish to discuss this further, please do so at the Outpost forum via PM - complaining in other forums is both inappropriate and impolite.
    ...has shown more knowledge, expertise and maturity in one post than you have shown in your entire history so far, both here and at the Outpost forum. If you wish to continue posting, at least have the courtesy to use a better translator so others have half-a-chance of understanding what you are trying to say.
    You can submit bug reports (alleged or real) to Agnitum's Support Form just like everyone else.

12. cprtech

cprtech Registered Member

Hi Rickster,

thank you for the tip. I did see this thread earlier today and was intrigued by it. My XP version is really only slimmed down in the number of services that launch, otherwise it is pretty much a full install. Still, it could help and is something I might try when time permits.

Thanks again!

13. Sid.D

Sid.D Registered Member

I keep rolling back to my Tiny 6.5.126 build, just seems to do it all. I tried OP 4.0 but had major resource issues (Centrino CS/GFX issue perhaps)..
    Too bad, I want to like it but V4 is buggy.

SD

14. hiro

hiro Registered Member

@Paranoid2000

Violent typical reaction.
    Article of kronckew, leaves that others judge it, less excited people of you, will win I am sure!
    Have Fun...

15. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

WTF! :blink: Can someone translate what hiro is saying :blink:

16. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Hum, ok, i'll try:D

@Paranoid2000

typical violent reaction
    kronckew's post is open for others' judgement, others not excited like you, and we'll win for sure:p
    Have fun...

I'm not making fun of anyone, i am trying to help. I think this is what he said.

17. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I am still not satisfied with Outpost Firewall Pro v4.0.971.7030 (584), but it is better then when outpost 4 was first first released. I think Agnitum will eventually get all the bugs, I'll just have to live with it till then.

18. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I am pretty happy with the current release of outpost. The only small bug i have found is for some reason after i have installed it and restarted, i find my taskbar has been reduced in size so all i see is a thin grey line. I just had to resize it manually and now it appears to be ok again.

19. farmerlee

Had to reinstall my OS today and installed ghostwall for a change. Its like i have gone from a pushbike to a ferrari. My browsing speed is unbelievable, i never realised how much outpost had been slowing me down.

20. concerned807

concerned807 Registered Member

This hurts. Anyone else had Outpost slowing download bandwidth problem? Having used exclusively Outpost 2.5 for so many months, and thus unable to do any comparison...

21. Paranoid2000

GhostWall is going to use far less resources simply because it does far less processing on network traffic - it doesn't cover application filtering let alone block any leaktest technqiues. As such, it is best used in conjunction with other software covering these areas (Ghost Security's AppDefend being the obvious example, but System Safety Monitor is another option).

Comparing it to Outpost is very much apples-to-oranges.

As for Outpost "slowing down bandwidth", you really need to test for yourself. The current 4.0 build for me has a small effect under load (a 10-15% reduction with SpamVampire, which averaged a throughput of 500KB/s with an ADSL connection) and that was more likely due to Outpost being CPU-limited with the other applications I was running.

Other users may have issues due to third-party software interactions (anti-virus webscanners are more likely to slow things down for example).

22. hiro

hiro Registered Member

Paranoid, read this post carefully !

23. farmerlee

Yeah its obvious that outpost is far superior in regards to security. I was just amazed at the browsing speed difference, it was very noticeable. I did of course switch back to outpost afterwards.

24. Paranoid2000

Were you seeing high CPU usage by Outpost? That could be the cause if so - in which case the Resolving High CPU Utilisation Issues with Outpost FAQ may be of help.

25. hiro

hiro Registered Member

To say the truth on the this forum is therefore difficult??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.