New Install - ZOMFG n00b :)

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Steve_K76, Aug 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve_K76

Steve_K76 Registered Member

Hello peeps. New here but long standing user of NOD32.

Have recently landed a new job (thankgod) which has thrown up some interesting challenges. Apart from the joys of learning new and interesting (not to mention mind numbingly hard) things, processes, procedures, responsibilities etc... I've now got a linux server to content with. Alas I'm from a MS background so I'm on a mission to learn linux now as well... hmmmpf :oops:

OK, the situation is:-

10 x User PC's running Windows XP

1 x Linux File Server (running samba i think, hey I'm new to this Linux malarky :D )

Whats the best way to go about a network install?

We've purchased a 10 users business version of nod32.

I'm thinking:-

Install NOD32 on XP machine (we have one which is always on 24/7)

Install ERA_Server on same machine, set to update on t'internet

Create file share on linux server for mirror, everyone has READ access

Install ERA_Console on my xp machine

Connect to server via ERA_Console, configure mirrors, create packages and push installs to remaining machines....

Am I right in thinking that or is there an easier way?? I'm confusing myself i think.

I was hoping I could just install ERA_Server (or some tool/official app) on the linux box, let this get the updates and save them in the file share. clients simply get updates from there... and i connect straight in via ERA_Console. oh how i wish it was that easy??

Any help would be great.

2. Brambb

Brambb Registered Member

ESET File Security for Linux supports making a mirror for workstations, for more information how to you can read the manual.

I have also made it work, and I am not the unix guy of our company either :] It is all pretty simple!

3. Steve_K76

is that something "extra"... if so it's not really applicable. i had to scream from the roof tops just to get 10 user business license.

i just need to know if the steps above (first post) are correct.

the only real worry i have is running the era_server on a users machine (it's the only one on 24/7). will it have much of an impact on it's performance or is it pretty quite running in the background. it's only checking for updates and saving them to a file share after all

4. Brambb

Brambb Registered Member

Ah seems I read it in too much of a hurry, thought with the [second] last line you wrote, you asked if it was possible to update from a unix version. As far as I know you can only make it act as a mirror. But indeed you cant act it as a complete ERA server but you can let it connect to one.. :[

If you really want to use ERA you can do it the way you listed above in the first post. I doubt the 10 computers impact the workstation much, but it seems more like try and error im afraid.

This screenshot is taken from a old server which is maintaining 5 clients (including himself). Those statistics aint shocking :].

5. Steve_K76

W00T - I think I've saved some resources/time...

Have now:-

Installed NOD32 on 24/7 Desktop

Installed Business License

Created Mirror (on shared drive - linux server)

Installed NOD32 on my machine... configured to get updates from mirror.

Export settings from my machine

Install on remaining PCs with xml file

Hell of alot easier than farting around installing era_server on a desktop :)

6. Brambb

Brambb Registered Member

Yes for small organizations you don't really need a ERA server. The only thing I really use it for is to push out .xml files when needed, and for the mirror function of course. Also nice it has nice logging of clients all on one place, but for small companies it ain't really needed. Thats also why I made a suggestion in the 'future changes' topic to import the .xml files using the command line, so small networks with a Unix mirror server can have more control over the client computer without taking control over the computer and do the changes manually.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.