New improved McAfee - comments

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Oldjim, Feb 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ugh, I should hope not. That would be the very definition of a band-aid security solution.

As far as the "new" McAfee AV goes, I'll believe in its efficacy when I see it.

2. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

In 1999, there is an antivirus war and consolidation. McAfee bought and killed Dr. Solomon's Anti-Virus Toolkit (my favourite AV) in 1999 because Dr. Solomon's has an excellent detection rate at that time, alongside with AVP (now Kaspersky). McAfee then plugged Dr. Solomon's virus signature database into the VirusScan product line. At the same time, Symantec bought and killed IBM AntiVirus and also plugged IBM AntiVirus's virus signature database into the Norton product line.

Around 2005-2006, quite a number of HIPS came out and managed by one man company. Most of them are now dead or absorbed into another bigger product, and most AV products are now internet security or even total security. Security solutions may rely less on signature based detection gradually.

3. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Yep, and that applies to every av vendor out there ;)

4. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

I find very surprising that all the experts posting here don't actually run their own AV product:-one they have written and developed to behave exactly as they want,but then again they may not be as expert as they make out?

5. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

I wish I was an expert ,I would design a AV with 100 percent detection and no false positives and would run lighter then anything else,But then I wake up from the dream and reality sets in.:D

6. Noob

Noob Registered Member

So this is a BB made specifically for botnets. :rolleyes:

7. Marketing FUD.... As if they can identify all botnets out there. There are 1000's. What a joke.

8. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

It's all about marketing or it would not sell no. plus Its on the internet its got to be true.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.