New Hotmail Features: Ten new reasons to love Hotmail

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Malcontent, Dec 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I used to, but considering how much the web service improved I decided I could install 1 less program on my PC and simply load the website. I have Hotmail pinned via the IE9 pinning feature to my taskbar, so it's virtually an "app" of its own.

2. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I've just upgraded it on my notebook. It does kind of save having to open a browser. I don't know how much I will use it eventually though.

3. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

That makes a lot of sense.
    However, I installed the extension because of ads on web sites, not because of ads in a mail service.
    Point being, even if the mail service had no ads, I'd still have the extension. :)

4. moontan

moontan Registered Member

adds don't really bother me when i do regular surfing.
    but for some reasons, they just drive me bonkers when checking web mail services like Hotmail and such.

5. jasonbourne

jasonbourne Registered Member

Wanna share couple of observations on that Gmail sms activation and Hotmail:

I was opening a couple of instances of Gmail via SRware Iron/Google Chrome(1 ordinary tab and 1 incognito) and 1 in Firefox. Both the Chrome browsers was asking me to enter a mobile number. But there was a very tiny wording at the bottom of that page as "Skip this" or something. I usually skip that. Firefox which had only one open Gmail account did not.

But from time to time when I log-in on a seldom used Gmail account, there it is asking me to enter a mobile number for sms activation. I "skip" that also. Gmail is really tracking us huh.

A couple of days later using Firefox, I registered for another Gmail account but it did not asked me to a mobile number for sms activation.

As to Gmail passwords I use long passwords 16-20 characters but I see that Gmail only accepts the first 16 characters.

With Hotmail, yes, they ask for a zip code and sometimes entering a wrong zip code will result in the registration page loading and loading like forever...they match it witht he address you give. So in my experience I cannot use a fake zip code. I'd have to use an address with zip code equivalent.

Only thing I hate in Hotmail is that it often does not display right in my browser and always most often I cannot log-in in just one enter. It's always 4 or 5 tries or worst, I can't log-in at all.

So I stick with Gmail. Would love to use Hotmail but the mentione issues are still there for me. But I agree that the features are very good.

6. jasonbourne

jasonbourne Registered Member

Forgot to add:

Less spam mail now in Hotmail as compared to Gmail which I think is getting worse...like the old spam-infested Hotmail.

I use AdBlock in FF and Chrome so I d not see ads.

7. korben

korben Registered Member

Me again,
    I don't find it problematic yet some of the recipients of my messages are too lazy to copy/paste the stuff I'm sending and would like the links to be clickable - is it possible in hotmail? how to achieve it?

8. guest

guest Guest

Tell them to open your messages and click on "Show content" or (for a permanent solution) "Always show content from..." .

9. korben

korben Registered Member

I believe it's already set to "always show...'' but it just won't do the trick, any other solutions?

unless... ghostery blocks it?

10. guest

guest Guest

Links in messages work normally if the content is allowed and if the links are really there... Try using the "Insert hyperlink" button when composing your messages.. just to be sure.

Ghostery? I used it with FX until some weeks ago and I faced 0 issues with hotmail during all the months of Ghostery's usage.

11. korben

korben Registered Member

Completely forgot about the button - works perfectly this way, yet... for 15 links inserting them one by one would be an ordeal - is that the only solution here? thanks for your time mate

12. guest

guest Guest

I don't know what you are asking for. Hotmail completely supports WYSIWYG. If you copy this false link in my post to a new message in Hotmail, the link will go with it as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.