new hot stuff !!!! read how to increase regdefend protection

Discussion in 'Ghost Security Suite (GSS)' started by tayasimggg, May 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tayasimggg

tayasimggg Registered Member

well you can use my help in the msn messenger i can give you live support.

2. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Hey T, is it safe to be blocking all those entry keys? I mean I see a lot of things being blocked from my zonealarm firewall to my bitdefender antivirus. Most of them are under codeidentifiers if that helps any. Just wanted to know if that is normal and if there is no drawback of using your entries. I mean I don't want these entries to stop my antivirus from updating or other programs from working normal. Maybe I haven't read good, but do we still keep the default ghst files from the initial install of the program or do we delete those becuase you cover them in your entries?

dja2k

Last edited: Jun 10, 2005
  3. lynchknot

lynchknot Registered Member

well..............................................................................................................................................................I'll try msn. I don't even know if it works. I never use it. :doubt:

*edit - sigh, it's stuck - been at this dialog for several minutes

http://img51.echo.cx/img51/3448/stuck0ja.jpg

4. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

I just want to clear things up. Anyone who downloads RegDefend groups from others, must be aware that they could present problems on your system in various ways. The officially supported RegDefend groups should run fine on every system without introducing issues of any sort, however when you go adding 3rd party groups which havn't been as extensively tested then you can run into some issues.

Just because you run into these issues with 3rd party groups doesn't mean "RegDefend" itself is bugged or broken, it just means the groups you are using most likely are. The next version of RegDefend will contain a lot more "officially supported" groups, but even RegDefend v1.200 as it is now, without 3rd party groups, still protects your system very well from registry autostarts, etc and all the malware which use them.

5. lynchknot

Hello Jason. Do you think it's possible that Regdefend may have an issue compiling large log files? If I try to pick a log date the whole application freezes. While it's working at compiling the log, I've got no internet connection as Regdefend hogs cpu. Other than this, I haven't had any problems with Tay's files for several hours now.

http://img176.echo.cx/img176/9200/log9kn.jpg

6. gottadoit

gottadoit Security Expert

lynchknot,
    How big are your log files ?
    Using my "big" one from May it took 2m20s to load up and the only reason it isn't using more than 80% CPU is because it is being limited by disk I/O
    On the other hand 120M isn't what I would consider a "normal" size for a logfile... and the 3Mb one only takes a couple of seconds to load

So simply put there is some potential for optimisation in the way that the listbox is loaded (for huge files) or to have something in place so that the files don't get so large

As a workaround for people that have rules that produce excessive logging, it might be an idea to stop the GUI, rename the log file and start the gui again every few days so that the log files don't get so large

Code:
     Directory of C:\...\RegDefend\logs

08/06/2005  07:55 PM	<DIR>		  .
    08/06/2005  07:55 PM	<DIR>		  ..
    31/05/2005  01:37 PM	   126,683,612 2005_05_May.dat
    08/06/2005  07:07 PM		 3,157,836 2005_06_Jun.dat
    10/06/2005  06:19 PM		   210,936 current.dat

7. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

o_O I have two regdefend.exe running in TM (they are not using a lot of resources) but just wondered why there are two?

I have added Puff's (RegRun) plus Tony Klein's to my groups but reading this would I be bets to remove these and go back to the default settings to avoid any problems until the new 'tested' groups are added from Ghost itself.

The only issue I have had was trying to use a SR point last week - I could rollback until I stopped RD, could make restore points just wouldn't let me roll back.

I know Puff's have been tested as they are from RegRun keys - the other set are TK's which I think he has tested also but now I am unsure if I should keep any of these o_O If the best advice is to run as default and wait for the throughly tested then I will do so; I am just worried as I don't know how to add keys correctly myself :oops:

8. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

I do two (to) ;) :D

Cheers :D

Attached Files:

9. tayasimggg

when regdefend ask you about the security program you should allow it to be in the application permission override list for good.
    that way you can protect it without haveing to worry.

10. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

This is to do with RD's crack protection, Armadillo I think? :)

11. xmen

xmen Guest

1.200? Damn I've being tricked into running a trojanised a copy of RD! My version says 1.300!

12. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

:D Same here, JoZan'z Friday afternoon version no doubt.

13. floatingPast

floatingPast Guest

/me thinks that Jas0n has been 0wn3d

14. tayasimggg

i will install any chat you have... tell me what use

15. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Lynchknot

I would suggest you totally uninstall Regdefend. Clean out the registry, and delete all extraneous ghst files. Then reinstall and test out thoroughly with just Jason's default groups. Evaluating a program with untested 3rd party files isn't a wise idea. Once you know the program is working right on your system then you can play around.

Also if you have problems with the default setup Jason can help you, but with all the 3rd party files loaded there is no way he can reasonably help you.

Pete

16. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Hey T, can you take a look at this question too from my previous post.

"Do we still keep the default "Auto Run" and "Special Registry Items" ghst files from the initial install of the program or do we delete those becuase you cover them in your entries?"

Thanks,
    dja2k

17. lynchknot

I don't use chat and I tried MSN and it won't work.

I don't think anything is wrong with Tay's files. The problem is the size of the logs. It takes a very long time for Regdefend to compile a large log (on my machine) Many apps limit log size such as Outpost and Prevx.

**edit - it's the application firewall that is causing the large log. Here is my log for this morning without application firewall.

http://img295.echo.cx/img295/7531/current8dk.jpg

Then an immediate large log is produced. I'm not sure if Outpost wanting to close is related but it popped up for the screenshot

http://img281.echo.cx/img281/3129/close1jo.jpg

Upon restarting Outpost. This popped up and I "always" allowed it. No shutdown now.

http://img92.echo.cx/img92/4980/op5vi.jpg

18. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

If removing groups which are not tested by the Ghost team do I have to totally uninstall RD or can I just de-activate the group and remove it from my folder 'Groups' until the Ghost team add new keys to protect etc

I am worried as I don't want to lessen my protection but I also do not want to have things go all wrong with my setup :'( I am prepared to wait for tested sets and go back to default just hope I don't ahve to uninstall first :'(

Thanks for the clarification re: two regdefend.exe ;)

19. tayasimggg

Simply delete the log file if it's larger than 20mb, it does not affect anything.
    Then reactivate RegDefend.

Both on my and my friends' computer, the ram size RegDefend used was definitely within normal limits. I suppose that you need to delete the log every once in a while. This is something that i'm planning to tell Jones, so that maybe he'll consider a log file size restriction from within RegDefend.

Another thing i'm planing to try is making the log file read only to try and stop the log from updating.

From viewing your pics, i suggest that maybe you add rxagent.exe to the allow list since it being blocked crashes the Outpost Firewall which must get internet access, and i'm pretty sure you'd want to add services.exe to the allow list as well cause it seems a pretty important system process which could explain various lockups...just my opinion.
    However, this is not really the point. As far as i'm concerned, RegDefend should be able to block a quadrillion entries, and still maintain control of the log file size.

Tell me how it's working out. Good Luck ^_^.

20. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

You can remove them from your "Groups" folder....or via the program....select the Group you do not want....and just below the Groups is a selection to Remove.

Attached Files:

21. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

Thanks Bubba with an extra thank you for the screenshot :)

It's not that I don't trust the groups I added but reading the posts about fully tested I think I need those (just in case) I worry too much already :oops:

22. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

My personal suggestion to you....and to anyone else that feels uncomfortable with any non-default RegDefend groups....is to stick with the default installed groups and over time....you may wish to add your own or other members. IMHO....the default groups are very sufficient for what awaits those that are cautious about their surfing habits, browser security, software installs....etc.

23. lynchknot

lol - 452mb! I would say it's time to let that one go! Seems to be running fine now - all groups enabled - memory use is not expanding rapidly as before (logging seems minimal now).

http://img221.echo.cx/img221/5619/lol7rm.jpg

24. tayasimggg

i most definitely agree with Jason. I don't believe that he should take any responsibility of any 3rd party files added to RegDefend nor should anyone assume there is something wrong with RegDefend because a certain 3rd party file f**ked something up.

that said, however, i am here to provide support for the 3rd party files that i provide. if there is anything wrong, a certain bug or incompatibility, i will do my best to fix it in a future release.
    i believe that RegDefend is a very dynamic piece of software which can do many useful things aside from its *current* default functionality.
    i do not know what will be included in the next version, and of course i hope it would be many good things, but for now i'm doing my best to expand its functionality as much as i can, and also try to solve various problems users encounter with my files, even though they're obviously, as Jason said, not as thoroughly tested as the default RegDefend configuration.

Jason, if your'e reading this, please tell me what you think about the posts regarding the log file's size and the resulting ram needed for RegDefend. i would really like to know what you think about this issue.

25. tayasimggg

Very Good ^____^

well yeah :) i'm glad the problem is solved now.
    I hope you reconsider using RegDefend, since i truly believe it is an amazing piece of software which tends to many security issues.

if you have any more questions, i'm always here.

best of luck ^_~

p.s. - even god damn Doom 3 doesn't have freaking 452mb log files! o_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.