New Hard drive in Acer problem

Discussion in 'hardware' started by misterbounce, Aug 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. misterbounce

misterbounce Registered Member

I have just bought a new hard drive for my Acer Travelmate4060 as it had died. I have fitted the lovely shiny new one, with no problems that I could see, but when I try to reload windows, it says I have no hard drive fitted. Is it just a case of getting windows to recognize the new hard drive?? How? help!

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

3. misterbounce

misterbounce Registered Member

When I go into the BIOS, I just can't find any way to get the laptop to recognize the hard drive. On the info page, the HDD model name and number is blank, and the arrow up and down, and Change values function don't work

4. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Try re-seating the hdd into the connector. I do not know if Acer uses a ribbon cable or or a fixed connector.

5. KookyMan

KookyMan Registered Member

You have a Manufacturer and Model Number in your BIOS?

Usually you just have drive geometry. Since this is a laptop, and with that tidbit of information, I'm wondering if your BIOS is vendor locked for hard drives. If it isn't one of the pre-encoded drives, it won't recognize it. Would be a great way to guarantee that customers came back to you for "upgrades."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.