New German Anti-virus Tests

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Pilli, Apr 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi All, Kaspersky has sent me a news letter showing the following link:
    http://www.warentest.de/ Unfortunately I do not read or write in German so I cannot comment on the results. Would other s that can please comment -

Thank you - Pilli

2. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Internetsecurity
    16 Protecting programs tested

No computer that is connected to the internet should nowadays be left unprotected against Virii, Worms, Dialer and attacks by hackers. The result from the March test concluded Kaspersky AV (€ 50) as best protection against virii.

Kaspersky found all (546) virii in the test. The other AV's took care of most of the virii, but showed weaknesses in detecting packed or encoded malware.

The test not only included five AV's but 4 FW's and 7 Securitypacks that offer protection against virii and hackers.

Among the security packs Steganos Internet Security (€ 50) and G Data Internet Security Kit (€ 60) scored well in virus protection, but their firewalls didn't do so well. For a private user a firewall however, is less important then an AV.

Tip: since new threads emerge every day the protectionprograms have to be updated regularly, best would be on a daily bases. The updates for one year are normally included in the price.

Maybe I was looking in all the wrong places, but I couldn't find the names of the other programs they tested.

Regards,

Pieter

3. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Thanks for the reply Pieter, Here is a snippet from the newsletter:

Quote:
    In order to determine the best program for the defense of home computers, Stiftung Warentest ran a wide range of tests evaluating the credentials of the most popular products on the German market. Taking part in the testing were 16 software products: 5 anti-virus solutions (H+BEDV, ESET, Norman, Panda Software, and Kaspersky Labs), 4 firewall solutions (Zone Alarm Pro, Zone Alarm Free, Agnitum Outpost, Norman Personal Firewall) and 7 information security suites (McAfee Internet Security, Symantec Norton Internet Security, Secuties Online Security, G-Data Internet Security Kit, Softwin Bitdefender Professional, Trendmicro PC-Cillin Edition 2003)
    Testing for the anti-virus programs involved the following criteria:

Functionality - the level of virus detection (the testing used a collection of 546 malicious programs of various types) and the ability to neutralize dangerous objects. Additionally, a program's general characteristics were noted (resources required, boot-up etc.). Update frequency, including level of security provided for update downloads Interface - convenience, comprehensiveness, access to documentation Installation and de-installation procedures Additional functionalities

The Stiftung Warentest tests also took into account program cost - by testing rules, a software solution could not cost more than 80 Euros.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.