New Firewall Tests from Leak Tester

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Antarctica, Mar 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

I'm not surprised with the Jetico results and quite pleased to see they work efficiently at doing the best they can offer for a freeware, good job there.

2. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

Just in case: If anyone wants to try Privatefirewall, the version that did so well in gkweb's tests, it's a beta of version 5. The file's name is PF5_031706.exe and is located here: http://privacyware.com/software/

3. metallicakid15

metallicakid15 Registered Member

jetico wont be freeware for long i heard

4. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Can we still see these old ones. Will be thankful if u can give a link. Thanks

5. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    I've tried the v4 and it's really a cpu system eater and I couldn't switched to my admin acct. but it looks good and easy to configure, haven't tried yet v5. Hope this is really good and didn't behave badly like v4.

6. faterider

faterider Registered Member

It's useless to ask "out of the box" settings tested because it's obvious that all of the firewalls will score very bad, may be for most: 2-3 success points or less.

But it'll be more interesting if HIPS are included - GS, SSM, PG, OA, etc. For example I tried all the tests only with SSM (good configured, but not paranoid - I surf easy and everyday with these settings) and Kerio 2.1.5 and couldn't stop only "breakout". Of course this fact take my sleep away - WTF I'm missing in my config??

But the point was that with this PC-revolution, our lives are on completely different level. And if we don't want to be victims we need much more knowledge. There is no way around. We don't have to be gurus or firewall testers to know how to make a safe config and live happily.

7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Sorry I can,t agree with you. Many( or may be majority- if I am not wrong) of ordinary users go with out of box settings and of course it will be really interesting to see what they are gaining by adding a firewall. If they are not getting any benefit practically, then why bother?

It,s of course not the firewall test but PC security test and if to do so why not to include all the components, I mean AV, antispy etc. Also HIPS results are mainlu user dependent- I mean how u reply to pop ups, so I think it is very difficult to do these tests and draw some conclusions but it might be interesting though. Of course it needs lot of time and effort.

8. spamyou

spamyou Registered Member

Actually, everyone with a different firewall could list their settings and try the the 17 tests :)

I have zonealarm pro, essentially out of the box, ie just bit the bullet and upgraded to new version, and made no adjustments.

Looking at this test
    http://www.firewallleaktester.com/tests.php
    Differences are I flunked tooleaky, and the tests that say gold +, I would be x. But I passed DNS tester. (By the way if anyone else does this, disable AV first it catches too many things, and skip breakout test unless you want to spend 20 minutes changing your desktop back)

I then made one change on ZAP, changed program control to high from medium security, (internet zone security already on high), I can then pretty much duplicate the above test (got same results as chart), except I also passed DNS tester. But I did not try breakout test again, and did not do yalta. However, on this higher setting I had lots of popups when I started my computer, so if I keep the higher setting, will have to figure out some rules to eliminate the recurrent pop ups. On the lower setting, I rarely get them unless its a needed warning.

I think I am learning regardless of what firewall I use, I am going to have to bite the bullet and learn how to make some rules. I wonder how looknstop would do on enhanced setting or if that was what was used.

9. faterider

faterider Registered Member

There are benefits from using firewall by default. Without it you can catch nasties for a seconds. Other question is what is the exact place of the firewall in the overall PC security today. If you ask me - not so big as it was in the past. Now, imho, the best is to have small footprint firewall, preferably free, but which does the "firewall" job well (Jetico, Kerio 2*, etc) and other means for tighter system control.

You are right and although this test started like "firewall test" because of the importance of firewalls is greatly lessened it's good to be converted as a "security" test. Which will include all types of protection. I think it'll be quite interesting to see how the new guns perform. But as gkweb said - he do this in his spare time.

Anyway, I think that spamyou perfectly illustrated my original point :)

Last edited: Apr 2, 2006
  10. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

11. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks but I wanted to see out of the box results.

" Due to the increase number of firewalls to test, I did not include this time the "out of the box" results"

12. vtn54

vtn54 Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.