New Firewall - 8Signs

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by musicman, Sep 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. musicman

musicman Registered Member

Wanted to share this will are our members I came across a new firewall that has just come out called 8Signs. Its a packet filtering firewall which enables you to have a hands on control of creating your taylored rules to fit your pc. It has passed all the scanning tests and is stealth in all areas. If you have tried it out let me know what your opnion is I value your input. For those that are not familar with 8signs you can make your own mind up by trying it out here is their web site.
    http://www.8signs.com/firewall/download.cfm

Rearranged URL tags

2. dukebluedevil

dukebluedevil Registered Member

I tried one of there beta versions last week. It's a pretty nice firewall except for the fact that it doesn't have any rule based application filtering. They do have a activity viewer which shows active connections but that is only in the server version. If they added that to the workstation version that would be a nice addition. I emailed the author about it and said he would bring it up at some future meeting. This firewall is actually the same as VisNetic and the author is the same as well, James Grant. It's a little cheaper than VisNetic's though. $49 for 8signs workstation version compared with $69.95 for VisNetic's. James Grant's the same dude who started and developed ConSeal firewall way back which was real popular. Personally I still prefer using Kerio 2.1.5 for me. But i'll keep a close eye on this firewall as well as Look'n'Stop for the future.

3. dukebluedevil

dukebluedevil Registered Member

One other thing I forgot to mention was that there planning to add the ability for port lists per rule so that you can create 1 rule for several ports, such as what can be done in Kerio v2.1.5. Also the author mentioned they would be adding groups of IPs, so that you can have 1 rule for many IPs. All this is planned on being in v2.2 (in the works now).

So there definetly headed in the right direction.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.