Mozilla Firefox Browser Stable Version Releases

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by JRViejo, Mar 18, 2014.

1. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Sorry, wrong guy. Can't do miracles. :shifty: :D

3. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

@n8chavez and @bjm_. I found a solution that works for me. I think this is what I had done when Whats new was first implemented, but I had forgotten about it. Since you guys are using Sandboxie, it should also work for you guys.

You need to run Firefox unsandboxed, and leave it open till the annoyance shows up. For me it takes about 10 minutes. And then click on one of the links in the Whats new window that opens up. After doing that, I went back to running Firefox sandboxed. After a few hours of opening and closing the browser and using it as I normally use it and not seeing the annoyance, I rebooted the computer and ran CCleaner to clean up Firefox. Crossed my fingers so the annoyance wouldn't come back after doing it, and it hasn't. So, try this, it should work for you.

bjm, before posting here yesterday about this, I had found the link you posted in your reply to me, and saw that there's a lot of people with this problem. I doubt most of those people are using SBIE. So, there has to be something else other than having to dismiss the annoyance running unsandboxed that's causing the annoyance to continuously pop up.

I spend lot of hours since yesterday trying to come up with a solution to this thing. I was just about to try a new profile and even tried the solution posted by gagne (new one) in the link you posted for me. Nothing worked. So, before trying the new profile I figured to mights well run Firefox unsandboxed first. I hate doing that but it worked. I knew this solution but had forgotten about it.

So, for me, setting preference: browser.messaging-system.whatsNewPanel.enabled to false gets rid of Whats new in the menus. But to keep it from appearing over and over, I have to dismiss the annoyance while running Firefox unsandboxed.

Bo

4. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Yes, I'm aware issue is/was not specific to Sandboxie users.
    Yes, I tried as you describe on 07-Jan-2020 with no joy. I dismissed Gift button while running Firefox unsandboxed several times on 07-Jan-2020 since, button annoyingly reappeared on 07-Jan-2020.
    Yes, tried machine restarts and CCleaner runs.
    Note: my usual CCleaner check boxes may not satisfy persistent Gift button.
    png_3772.png
    On 08-Jan-2020 ... same simple Gift button dismissal while Firefox unsandboxed appeared to finally take hold.
    Maybe, I did not scratch my head hard enough on the 7th.
    Yes, I ran Firefox unsandboxed more than usual trying to sort reappearing Gift button.
    Thanks

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
  5. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

6. guest

guest Guest

7. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

Android build for Firefox (codename: Fennec) became also 68.4.1 and Firefox KLAR became 8.25, FENIX got 3.0.2.

8. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

New Working Method to Remove “What’s New” Gift Icon from Firefox Toolbar
    https://www.askvg.com/new-working-method-to-remove-whats-new-gift-icon-from-firefox-toolbar/

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
  9. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

10. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Have not tested. My Gift button stopped reappearing.
    > #2579

11. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

OK, let us know if it comes back. :)

12. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

I've had v72.0.1 installed since its release date, and the gift button hasn't appeared once, and I've done nothing, at least that I'm aware of, to prevent it.

13. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

14. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1587710#c22

15. wat0114

16. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

IDK...:doubt:

17. wat0114

Maybe I should say could be the reason :) I was seeing the button with v71, then I went straight to v72.0.1

18. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Oh...okay. Thanks

19. bo elam

Thats probably not it, I went from Firefox 71 to 72.0.1 (skipping 72) and was annoyed by the button popping up every time I opened Firefox 72.0.1.

As I posted earlier, for me, dismissing the annoyance while running Firefox unsandboxed is what got rid of the button showing up again.

Bo

20. bo elam

Unbelievable, you see what this clown said:

"We need (users need) an informative banner, about two weeks before the update is released.

Closing this bug report isn't going to change that ......."

Now they are going to bombard us with banners. They dont get it at Mozillla. They are doing what it takes to continuously lose customers, they know they doing it and continue to do it.

I only use one browser, Firefox, and they finally done it. They are getting me into thinking about moving on from Firefox. With mind sets like the one that guy has, the future of Firefox looks bad, worst than it is now (my POV).

Quick story: Until about 3 months ago, I used to visit YouTube about 10 times a day. But then, they started a campaign bombarding me in Firefox about the changes that were going to take place after Dec 10. I posted about it in this thread. By the time the annoying and distracting banners were removed (most of them were removed after Dec 10, I still get 1 in the front page), I had already discovered another streaming website that has much better content quality. A site where I find all the old and new movies that are not allowed or available in YouTube. I wont mention the name but is an amazing site. So, now, I visit YouTube about once a day if at all. They did it, not me, I wasn't looking for a replacement but they pushed and pushed with their annoying distractions that finally I had to look for a replacement and move on.

Firefox is doing the same as YouTube.

Bo

21. wat0114

So far only the "What's new" gift button, or are there others I'm unaware of? This will not, unfortunately, annoy the general masses; only the minority techie types like ourselves, so Mozilla doesn't give a rat's ***. In my general viewpoint, I ask:

1. does it compromise security?
    2. does it compromise privacy?
    3. does it degrade system resources?

If the answer is "No" to all three, then it is simply a cosmetic nuisance; nothing more. I still see Firefox as a better alternative than the others, though I don't mind and can sort of tolerate Chromium (not Google Chrome). You do need a browser, correct? I think you have to accept the least of all the evils, and tame it to the best of your abilities.

EDIT:

btw, still not seeing the "What's new" gift box with v72.0.1. Because of the O/S? Security measures in place? Country? No idea why.

22. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

Hi Bo, out of curiosity - what browser are you considering?

23. bo elam

Hi Beethoven, it has to be something similar to Firefox. If all was perfect, the browser would be like the new Firefox but without all the garbage that comes from Mozilla. I opened the link below last night, the fork that attracts me the most is Waterfox but there is a big but for me for trying that fork. I don't believe it has a 32 bits version. My W10 is 64 bits but I use the 32 bits version. So, if there's no 32 bit version, I wont even try it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Web_browsers_based_on_Firefox

I dont like Chrome (believe it or not, I never had Chrome or anything like it installed in my real system). And I got to have NoScript. And prefer the new version of NoScript, so, browsers like Palemoon don't really attract me at all.

If Mozilla comes up with annoying campaigns with banners like the one mentioned by the clown/Firefox developer in the link posted by bjm, that might push me over the edge and go with the old Palemoon during those two weeks, and with the old version of NoScript. And who knows, I might even like it.

I am very conservative and don't like changes but when changes make sense, I do them, get used to them and live happily after. Updating Firefox, every time you update, it has become a shore, painful, it shouldn't be like that. Updating Firefox used to be flawless, not anymore. Is really annoying. And with developers thinking like that guy who posted in the link and the Whats new thread, is gonna get worst, not better.

For users who take everything Mozilla pushes, perhaps all is well but for users who dont want to use Multiprocess, dont want automatic updates and use userChrome.css for customizing Firefox, now, every time there's an updates, some code breaks and have to continuously be going over hoops to have Firefox look and function the way you like it. During the past 6 months, userChrome.css codes have been broken by updates at least 3 times. Is very annoying having to look for fixes every time there's an update. Most of us are not experts, so its tiresome and difficult. I dont enjoy having to spend considerable amounts of time fixing Firefox to my liking every time there's an update. It shouldnt be like that. There should be settings to do the things with the browser as there used to be. The options we have to go thru hoops now to get as we want, there used to be settings for this options. But Mozilla got rid of them. And on top of all this, banners and gifs, flashes, distractions, there is a breakpoint and Firefox is almost there for me.

Bo

24. bo elam

For me personally, as of right now, only the Whats new button. The banners appears to me as a new invention that will be annoying us in the future.
    Yes, it is cosmetic and annoying more than anything. I open and close Firefox many, many times a day, it would very tiresome having to close a banner 50/70 times a day.

Regarding Chrome, I cant stand it, not because of privacy or anything like that, but because it doesn't function or look like I like it. With Firefox we still can do things to have Firefox look and function like we like our browser. Also, NoScript is important. Now there's a NoScript version for Chrome but I seriously doubt that it is allowed to block as much as it does in Firefox. Its not the same.

Bo

25. wat0114

Strange, because even with v71.x, I only saw the gift button, but no banners. There must be something different in your neck of the woods that I'm not experiencing.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.