New Firefox beta even faster than FF3

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Franklin, Oct 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

CNet Article

2. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

And K-Meleon is even faster, and lighter on resources.... :thumb:

http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/

I was a FF fan back in the day when the project started, now it's to much bloat and still a memory hog....

K-Meleon smokes FF for a simpler browser, for those that don't need, or care about a gazillion addons...

3. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

You could say the same bout Opera I think, but this thread would appear to be about Firefox, no? ;)

4. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Yes it's about FF, sorry Franklin, don't mean to be hijacking your thread. Just that when I hear about FF I like to spread the word about K-Meleon for users that aren't aware of it.

PEACE

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I too like K-Meleon, it is one fast and light browser indeed.... :)

<ok, our hijacking is over>

6. Hiker

Hiker Registered Member

Years ago memory was limited and expensive.

7. Franklin

Installed the beta here and seems ok atm.

Lost a couple of addons but that's livable and as for speed I would say it seems be a bit faster but it's hard to judge on this highish end machine and I ain't about to try and measure a half blink here or there.

8. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

SORRY Franklin, ONE last hijack, I can't refuse.

Hiker that is one lame ass excuse a lot of people throw out there, and you don't pick up the slack for crap software and buy more memory, because then that just defeats the idea of ----> PERFORMANCE! ;)

That was one of the biggest bitches/gripes about Vista, all the memory it took over XP that steered them clear.

As a tech I'd never suggest crap software to a consumer and tell them in order to run it the way they like it, you need to spend money.

I don't know if you're a tech or not, but I've never seen anyone really happy to learn they needed to spend more, no matter how fat their wallet was, everyone I know really smiles when you tell them how cheap or less it is.

Wasting money is not acceptable to me as a PC Tech, no matter how little.

One last thing I want to say here, I find this type of mentality very prevalent amongst Windows users, but is certainly not the order of the day in the Unix/Linux world, and Windows isn't the only OS out there...

OK NO MORE HIJACKING OR FRANKLIN IS GOING TO KICK OUR ASSES! :)

9. Franklin

One tab open using 35 meg.

12 tabs open using 101 meg.

Close all but one, dropped to 65 meg and on posting this has dropped further to 54 meg.

10. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

I'll be happy if the memory leak is gone, but that damm thing has been around since v2... :thumbd:

11. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

Thanks for the update, Franklin. I must say that I've been waiting for Mozilla to release the beta with TraceMonkey enabled. I'll give it a try when I get home.

@DasFox:

With all due respect, Firefox is not as bad as you're making it out to be. It's true that it can be slow when launching it cold; however, that is not really as important as the performance when browsing, which Firefox is not so bad at. I've never had any problems, be it CPU or memory usage, when browsing with Firefox (with add-ons too). In fact, I find the memory usage to be excellent, compared to FF 2. I interface heavily with web applications everyday, so the performance of the browser is important to me. That is why I can't wait to test out Firefox 3.1.

K-Meleon is nice and fast, however, it is not as customizable as Firefox. Also, it still uses the Gecko 1.8 engine, which is not standards compliant as Gecko 1.9.

12. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

Agreed. You complain a program is slowing down your computer and you get "buy more memory, its cheap!!!!"

You know what else is cheaper than memory? Supporting a child in poor countries but why do that when your computer could open a program seconds faster :).

Avira has a lot less requirements than norton but that didn't stop norton from creating something just as light. Same applies for opera, firefox, any other browser. Opera has 1000x more features than firefox but that doesn't stop it from opening 1000x as fast and using less memory per tab.

13. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

In javascripttests ff3.1 is as fast or faster than Chrome. But ff still feels slower than Chrome or Opera because it needs more time to display the actual content of the webpage. Chrome and Opera display everything faster. Interesting read on how Chrome displays webpages faster: http://blog.chromium.org/2008/10/io-in-google-chrome.html

14. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

I like 3.1 beta 1. I liked it so much I uninstalled 3.0.3. My three extensions (NoScript, Adblock Plus, and Permit Cookies) were compatible. It seems a bit faster. Nice.

15. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Man, you're leaving yourself open for it there... What does more memory have to do with performance?! That makes no sense at all...

From your comments here and in the Vista thread, I think you'd be happiest with the old MSDOS days where every byte counted. I was a programmer back then and loved it, but those days are long gone my friend... Gone forever....

16. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

I installed it earlier today and enabled the tweak. I didnt notice any difference in speed loading any web pages at all. It all felt exactly the same. Maybe they will adopt Googles V8 Java engine.

17. Franklin

You are able to force install of your extensions by using the nightly tester tools extension.

My Secure Login and Stumbleupon toolbar were incompatible with the latest beta but on forcing they seem to work fine.
    Nightly Tester Tools

18. Arup

Arup Guest

Memory used right is fine by me, memory leaked or not released when not in use is a sure sign of bad programming.

19. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

TraceMonkey is an optimization to SpiderMonkey, the Javascript engine of Firefox. As such, it will not significantly improve the performance of page rendering, rather it will improve the Javascript performance. If you use lots of web applications, you will surely notice the difference.

20. Hiker

Hiker Registered Member

I'm not a tech but an everyday user. Firefox 3 with numerous add-ons has added functionality without suffering a loss in performance.

21. rookieman

rookieman Registered Member

Right now i'm running the 3.0.1 version.Is this beta 3.1 beta 1 that much faster than my version?I'm guessing that if I wanted to give that beta a run i'd have to delete the version i'm using now?

22. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Beta 3.1 installs in a separate folder in Program files. You can give it a try and if you don't like it, use the Control Panel to uninstall the beta.

23. rookieman

rookieman Registered Member

Thanks ronjor:thumb:

24. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Running the beta portable on a flash drive. 2 extensions, NoScript and trying out Ubiquity. Though not a true comparison. It is noticeably faster. Your mileage may vary.

25. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

I just hope that they reduce memory usage
    untitled.JPG

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.