New Firefox 3.0 alpha blocks malware, secures plug-in updates

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Sep 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Story

2. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

Hello,

I wonder if the final version of Firefox 3.0 will support Windows Vista security features : binary compiled with ASLR, and with a "Protected Mode" option to run as a low integrity level like IE. Would be nice.

Regards,
    gkweb.

3. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Installed it today to have a look, installs into another directory so I can use both FF 2 and the alpha separately, but looks like it shares the same profile. I don't see anything new in the options yet. Don't know if I should have removed 2.0.0.7 first though. Or create a separate profile maybe... not sure..

Seems a little slower than v2, also can't Edit this message, clicking on Edit does nothing, had to return to v2 to edit this. Also my mouse gestures extension doesn't work in 3, but that's to be expected... I guess Alpha means Alpha eh? ;)

4. tlu

tlu Guest

Protected mode is already possible as described here - it must be done manually, though.

5. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

Hello,

I already know how to do it, as I posted it on February :
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,17807814?hilite=uipi

However, that is not exactly the same as IE Protected Mode as I explain in the post (Temp folder issue), and as you mentioned, it has to be done manually, and every time you start firefox that way Vista asks you if you really want to run it... that's not what I call a native and transparent Protected Mode :) I'm doing that anyway for the moment, in the hope of a built-in Protected Mode in Firefox. Also, Firefox is not compiled with ASLR unlike IE, you can see it with ProcessExplorer from Mark Russinovich.

Regards,
    gkweb.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2007
  6. GrailVanGogh

GrailVanGogh Registered Member

You should be using a separate Profile if you are trying out Minefield.

There are enough differences between Fx v2 series and v3 beta series in the prefs.js that you could mess up Fx v2 Profile.

Many extensions that work in Fx v2 will not work in v3 as well as the new security feature preventing extensions from working if they have not been obtained from the Mozilla Addons site and are not using https for updating.

Edit* Corrected spelling of Minefield and separate

7. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

Built in anti malware detection!!!!! KICK ***!!!!!!!!

8. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

Before it became a FireFox clone, Netscape had anti-malware capabilities too. I used it for a little while but it never detected anything.

9. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Alright thanks. I removed it for now, but if I try again I will use a new profile..

10. GrailVanGogh

GrailVanGogh Registered Member

Your welcome.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.