New feature requests for next version.

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by tech-addict, Jan 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tech-addict

tech-addict Registered Member

I thought it would be good to start a topic about new feature requests.

I would like to see the tray icon change when I have PG disabled for updating and installing stuff. I have forgotten to restore protection because I see the lock and think it's still on. If it could change color or have an X on it or something...
    that would be great !!!
    Thanks.

Anybody else have any requests, feel free to post them here.
    ;)

2. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

I thought to that too... an unlock icon when disabled, and locked icon when enable :)

3. nameless

nameless Registered Member

...Or automatic re-enabling after a preset amount of time. Such as a menu option in the tray that lets you disable it for 60 seconds, or 10 minutes, and have it become enabled again automatically. (This is a feature I think every AV should have as well.)

4. Wayne - DiamondCS

Wayne - DiamondCS Security Expert

gkweb,
    We liked that idea too (thanks!) and added it today. The icon is gray when disabled, and in full color (red, white etc) when enabled. :)

5. gkweb

As i can see the current beta already have it, you were fast ! :)

6. Bowserman

Bowserman Infrequent Poster

Yes indeed GK. Sometimes I think DCS must stand for:

Distinguished (or Dedicated)
    Customer
    Service

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Regards,
    Jade.

7. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Okay - if you're not going to go for my "scrolling javascript window that shows each Window log entry as it appears" idea (which, now that I think about it wasn't so hot, due to the slowness with which all those kinds of things scroll) - how about this:

Make/add in a feature whereby only the top section of the PG window that contains the latest log-entry is made "always on top". The location of it would be user-selectable and able to be fixed-in-place by the user.

There are innumerable places where it could be placed where it wouldn't interfere with browsing.

The whole point of this, of course, is to allow you keep an eye on things everytime you click something - you'd be able to see instantly if anything new, different, suspicious, un-usual or hinky was going on - without having to have to whole main interface up and without having to constantly be running back to your log to scrutinize things to see the same info.

Well? Pete

8. gkweb

I think that displaying a popup with the alert is easier to do, and in addition if such feature is added, i wouldn't personally want to have something permanentrly on my screen, so i prefer the popup way :)

9. joeblow

joeblow Registered Member

Let the user drag an icon for a exe file into the pg screen as a way of adding it to pg.

10. joeblow

joeblow Registered Member

sort the list of log messages so that the latest one is on top.

11. nameless

Both are excellent suggestions, IMO. I figure a "me too" from another user will help solidify them as such. ;)

12. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Ok, just added Drag and Drop, for multiple files at once also, so if you have 10 files in the same folder it is real easy to add them now.

In regards to the log, I am not sure if that is feasible/worthwhile, I'll add it to the wishlist. :)

-Jason-

13. Jason_DiamondCS

Spy1, it won't be easy just to add that top window to be on top without the rest.

I was trying to think of some other method to alert the user, maybe a sound or something. The issue is, PG can log an incredible amount depending on how the system is setup, so popups or sounds could get really annoying for log events which are minor.

-Jason-

14. tech-addict

tech-addict Registered Member

I'm glad you are providing the feature I requested :) I think it will be very helpfull for everyone.
    ;)
    [shadow=red,left][glow=red,5,500]Thanks !!![/glow][/shadow]

15. nameless

One feature I'd really appreciate, now that I've used PG for awhile, is the ability to exclude certain things from showing up in the log (certain application names, for example). For example, Regedit wants a global hook. Denying it causes no problems. But seeing a ton of Regedit-related log entries is annoying, and can make me overlook more-important entries. Multiply this by the number of other applications that want a certain permission, and you can see what I mean.

16. nameless

Another idea--and I'd be surprised if DCS hadn't thought of this already--is to make it possible to block global hooks of a certain type (such as those relating to the keyboard), but not for other types (such as those relating to the mouse). Right now, I have a ton of software that uses mouse-related global hooks, and I have to add each one of them, giving them full privilege to any kind of global hook (and if I don't give them that privilege, the log entries drive me nuts). If there were separate options, I'd allow all mouse-related global hooks, and block all keyboard-related global hooks.

17. Khaine

Khaine Registered Member

Another neat feature would be to do a checksum, say MD5 or SHA160 of your protected files, to verify that they haven't been modified. I know diamondcs has stated many times that it doesn't wan't process guard to become similar to software like filechecker. I feel that as process guard delegates trust, it must be able to assertain whether the process is the same as that the user wants protected, or that the user allowed access to certain functions.

18. Dan Perez

Dan Perez Retired Moderator

I think that is a good idea.

Personally, though, I am rather wary of deciding that just because something is apparently working okay in spite of the log entries it is okay to leave it set that way, but I can certainly understand the alternative view that if it seems to work okay without the allow setting in question then why run the risk of allowing it and letting perhaps something else "get through". By adding your suggestion it will add to the usability for those that adopt the second stance without hurting those that adopt the first.

19. Wayne - DiamondCS

Wayne - DiamondCS Security Expert

Yes we have thought of that, but as SECURITY is the primary issue, this is not a possibility, sorry!

The reason - even if a program (such as a trojan) uses just a WH_MOUSE mouse event hook, its DLL is still loaded into all processes that have user32.dll loaded, at which point it can then perform things on behalf of the processes that it has injected into.

The moral of the story: The type of hook (mouse, keyboard, CBT, etc) should only be considered a rough guide as to what the hook is actually doing. For example, if a trojan wants to record your keystrokes, then yes it will need to set a Keyboard hook, but if all it wants to do is to load its DLL into other processes (for example, to terminate them), then it can choose ANY hook type as long as it's a global hook (such as WH_MOUSE).

... so saying "Allow all WH_MOUSE hooks" would not be truly secure.

20. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Jason - Can you at least see if you can make the tray icon blink when the windows log makes an entry? Like an IM program makes it's icon blink when you receive a message? (You know, the IM program's icon is is SYSTRAY - if you get a "message", it opens a blinking window in the Taskbar).

And make choosing that option user-selectable.

I see having something that alerts you instantly to an event as being absolutely critical to enabling you to respond quickly, while the event is still fresh. Pete

21. gkweb

@Jason

you said that the popup would be annoying in case of a lot of entries, it's right.
    But after to have configured PG, if in addition we were able to add programs that create logs entries but that we don't want to allow in an "ignore list", so the popup or tray blinking would be nice :)

22. DolfTraanberg

DolfTraanberg Registered Member

I'll still go for a learning mode. When a block occurs, a pop-up will appear to ask if you want that process to allow the blocked action.
    Dolf

23. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

I also would like to see a learning mode. I have PG but have not had a lot of time to spend on it yet. A learning mode would help someone like me to setup PG both easier and faster ;) ...

Regards,
    Kent

24. Jason_DiamondCS

Systray icon flashing option is now there, so if you enable it and PG isnt the active window it will flash blue on and off for 4 seconds then stay blue until you click on Process Guard, similar to how CryptoSuite does it.

-Jason-

25. siliconman01

siliconman01 Registered Member

Sounds like the next release is gonna have NEAT new features! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.