New disk

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by imagesandwords, Oct 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imagesandwords

imagesandwords Registered Member

Hi
    This is not a major problem but am just looking ahead just in case it might be.
    i currently have a 80 gb hard drive, partiioned into 2.. 50 and 30 gbs... the 30 gig is my OS partition and that is what my image is of. I want to get a new hard drive.. around 160 gig SATA, how would i use the existing image ON this new hard drive? how do i copy everything, and i want to have a partion as well ?
    any help would be great, thanks

2. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

The new drive will come with a cd which should include partitioning software. Use it to make your partitions on the new drive, then restore the image of the old 30-gig to it, using the Acronis boot CD.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello imagesandwords,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please note that you can do to in two ways:

- Clone your old drive to a new one using the Clone Disk capability of Acronis True Image 9.0;

- Create an image of the entire hard drive saving it to any type of the supported removable media (external drive, CD, DVD, etc.) and then restore this image on the new hard drive.

Please also note that since the destination hard drive has SATA interface, which is equal to transferring the operating system to a different hardware, you will most likely need to follow the steps described in this FAQ article in order to be able to boot into the newly cloned operating system.

I would also like to add that there is no need to partition the destination hard drive prior to cloning or restoring an image, since all the partitions will be created automatically. By the way, you will even be able to change the size of the partitions during the disk cloning\image restoration process.

I recommend you to download and install the free trial version of Acronis True Image 9.0 to see how the software works on your computer.

You can find more information on how to use Acronis True Image 9.0 in the respective User's Guide.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

4. imagesandwords

Hello
    thanks for the reply...
    one thing though.. does it matter that the size of my image of old hard disk, will be different to the new hard drive?
    So if the new hard drive is 160GB big and i try to restore my old image (which was of a 30 gig partition) will there be a problem ? or will it restore like it always has?

5. quickdraw

quickdraw Registered Member

Remember the rules of the software!! If I'm not mistaken, you must image the entire drive (not just a 30G partition on an 80G drive) in order for your drive to be bootable. To answer your question about the size, no that makes no difference (it can be done). What makes the difference SIZE WISE is the amount of data that you are imaging. Since you're increasing in size of what you already have 80GB to 160GB, then .. no prob. You will however have a problem with NOT having a full image of your drive. If it were me, I would make another image, only this time make it a full image of your entire drive and then proceed from there.

Lonnie

6. imagesandwords

Ok. so what im planning to do is. install new SATA drive, boot up windows... open up Acronis, then find my image and restore it to the sata drive(not boot yet) then turn computer off, then take out master ide (which had OS on it) then boot from the sata drive, and hopefully it will load up windows.. will this work?

7. quickdraw

quickdraw Registered Member

Not with your current image! If I understand your original post correctly, you made an image of a 30G partion on your 80G drive, if this is correct, then it won't work. You MUST make an image of your entire 80G drive in order for it to image the MBR (master boot record) and to be bootable. Look at what Alexey said in the Acronis Support reply you got, it mentions "Make an image of ENTIRE drive" ... meaning all 80G with all the partitions on it. This is the only way, that I know of anyway, that your new drive would be bootable.

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello imagesandwords,

Please note, that if you are going to move your system from an IDE to a SATA Drive, we recommend you to prepare your system with Microsoft system preparation tool (sysprep) prior to doing this. The system preparation procedure is described in our Article.

As Alexey already said, we recommend to create an image of your entire Hard Drive (with the prepared system) and then restore it or simply clone your prepared system to the new one.

However you may try to restore your system partition from the existing image to the new Hard Drive and then perform a repair installation of your OS using your OS installation CD, but we do not guarantee it will work. Please read the articles on how to perform a repair installation of Windows XP, Windows 2000.

Thank you.
    _ _
    Alexander Fedotov

9. visch1

visch1 Registered Member

OK, this is what I do and don't recomend it to a novice, though I've done it a number of times without a problem. I use 826. Win.Xp fully updated. My drives are in the 250-300G range usually having 4-6 partitions. My practice is to have my older drive the back up drive after it's "cloned" as I'll be filling the cloned drive with fresh video and photos.

I hook up the new drive as slave, Partition Magic it to one partition, just a habit, start the True Image clone operation. While it's cloning I keep an eye on the progress and a few seconds after its done cloning C and has started with D for lets say 5% I do a HARD RESET TO STOP IT. Power down and un plug the old drive, set the new as master, change its cable position to master and boot it. It takes awhile to boot and I'm saying a few darn its but it always works for me. I then make new partitions in the unallocated space and proceed to fill those. GOOD LUCK

10. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello imagesandwords,

If using the imaging method to migrate from your original 80GB PATA drive to the new 160GB SATA drive, and assuming you've done the necessary Windows Repair install to obtain a functional O/S, you will probably find that you're left with approximately 80GB of unallocated space. If so, and you don't have any partition management software handy, you may want to consider using the procedure I posted in this previous thread tited <New HD image from CDs?>.

Regards

11. imagesandwords

Well ive just bought my new Sata Hard drive. Im just about reading to 'clone disk' but first, how do i do this sysprep thingy, for windows Xp ? i plan on simply cloning the old disk, to new disk, so when exactly do i run the prep tool ?
    would this be correct-
    1) run sysprep
    2) clone disk
    3) shutdown and take out old disk
    4) make new sata disk the master
    5) boot as normal, and a safe and happy life

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.