New Debug Build for SPF & SPF Pro if anyone is interested.

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Peter_UK, Dec 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter_UK

Peter_UK Registered Member

2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Is someone currently working on these or are these just newly discovered builds that have been around for a while?

3. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

At this time they would appear to be another beta/debug version that was not even released as such for testing. They should be considered as beta versions, and used at your own risk.

Regards,

CrazyM

4. dannyboy 950

dannyboy 950 Registered Member

Ok dumb question but is this a new unreleased beta version of the complete firewall, or is it a debugging tool for Sygate. Lol the [debug] has me confused LOL

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I think you can take "debug" to mean beta here, it being another beta version of the complete firewall yes.

6. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Tried it out here for a while, but it seems to be using more ram and cpu than the others, so I'll stick with the released 5.5.2710 when I run Sygate.

7. red_jack

red_jack Registered Member

Someone asked me about the link, the main link above is to the public FTP ftp.sygate.com and the files are digitally signed. Some other forums have published other working links.
    If you have come across this post, you can validate the signature of the file in the properties of the installer.

Added a MD5 Sum
    spf3408_Debug.exe
    MD5 bcd2a9e76a9a9f40285cbf2f803f3aff
    pspfb3408_Debug.exe
    MD5 2481246b49b69a05861ebd833be77cb7

8. Albinoni

Albinoni Registered Member

Does this debug upgrade apply to both the free home edition and the pro version. Also to install this, do I actually install Sygate first off than install this patch on top ?

Also does this update add more to it and whats the main purpose of it.

Another question is where can I download the free home edition of Sygate and is it still available.

9. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

What is being referred to in this post is not an upgrade or a patch. It is a beta build of the Sygate firewall that may have eventually been released for beta testing had Sygate continued with the product, but never was. As I noted above, they should be considered as beta versions, and used at your own risk.

I do not believe either version is available on the Sygate site.

Regards,

CrazyM

10. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

11. Albinoni

Albinoni Registered Member

Another Q to ask is the the very latest and last verison of Sygate firewall.

I am presumung there is nothing after this version.

I know there was Sygate 5.6.331 but not sure if it was before this version.

12. Peter_UK

Peter_UK Registered Member

This is the latest and probably the last versions of both Sygate Personal Firewall and Sygate Personal Firewall Pro.:(

13. b3408

b3408 Guest

5.6 b3408 Pro is working great for me. Performance wise it runs the same as b3311, which was the best build yet, and it has some bug fixes. Can't beat that!

14. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

I had some problems, must be my machine.
    The firewall GUI colors got messed up.
    But as I said, maybe something to do that my XP is not quite standard install concerning user access rights.

It used quite a lot of Virtual Memory, over 20 MB.
    Back to SPF 5.5.2710 that uses only something like 15 MB VM and memory usage currently is less than 10 MB, sometimes 7 MB. (DLL authentication option not enabled.)

BTW Sygate forums are back now.

15. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I didn't like 3311 or 3408 either. Both used more cpu% and ram than the old 5.5.2710, so when I run Sygate, I stick with the old released version 2710. When idle, it shrank down to 7mb ram use and cpu% was only about 1% versus the 2-3% on the newer builds. No thanks... :p

16. b3408

b3408 Guest

CPU/memory usage has remained near identical for me throughout all the different builds. ~7-19mb (idle/normal traffic) My problems have revolved around my network card in Win2k... was really screwed up until b3311 came out, standby just didn't work properly.

17. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I will give them both another try sometime soon. It does seem weird that the newer builds would use more ram and cpu when nothing much new has been added. If anything, they should be better than 5.5 right? Optimized..

18. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Not necessarily, they are beta builds.

Regards,

CrazyM

19. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

That is true, one reason why I prefer to stick to the releases most of the time.

20. Debugging

Debugging Guest

Found a problem that makes this build worse than 3311. When I open options first (from the systray icon) and then open the main gui or traffic log behind it and then click OK on the options window; the entire service locks up. I think I'll stick with the icon bug I'll never experience in 3311 :p

21. tDJ

tDJ Registered Member

After the signature update of today my SPF PRO v5.6.3408 Debug uses not anymore about 25 MB VM, but only about 8-9 MB... ?! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.