New Comodo Firewall 2.3 Released!

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by ISSB, Sep 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mfsa

mfsa Registered Member

Hi Guys,

Not to start a flame (not at all!) but I'm considering installing Comodo. On doing some reading up, I come across this:

"Important News About Comodo Firewall - We Are No Longer Recommending It!

As most of you know, the free firewalls are suddenly not free any longer. While it appears that Kerio will once again be offering a free version someday (they were recently purchased by Sunbelt software) they do not offer one as of this writing. Recently, in our quest to find a good free firewall, we came across "Comodo" firewall. We tested it and found it to work well and began to recommend it to our readers. We did our research on the program but not on the company that makes it. We have since learned that the same company that makes the Comodo Firewall, also makes an Internet Explorer Toolbar called, paradoxically, "Trust Toolbar". It appears that the Trust Toolbar is anything but trustworthy. In fact it's recognized by SpySweeper and other good anti-spyware as questionable software product and a browser/start page hijacker. While we never recommended the "Trust Toolbar" we did recommend the Comodo Firewall, not realizing that the company that makes both products was the same. Effective immediately we are not recommending the Comodo Firewall. Even though there is no evidence that there is anything questionable about Comodo Firewall we cannot support any company who makes spyware/adware/malware or any kind of questionable software at all. TC & EB."

(Source: hXttp://www.thundercloud.net/infoave/archives2005/week-203.htm , remove the X).

Now I do realize there's not much detailed explanation over there, but still: does this sound familiar to anyone?

Thanks in advance for your comments,

Take care,

Mike

2. Arup

Arup Guest

My host file keeps blocking Comodo so I was wondering.

3. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=20208.30
    Info about this "issue" described in Comodo Forum:
    http://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,111.0.html

Etrust also marked Blowfish Advanced encryption software as a malware and it is not.
    The reason, because without the key, the files could not be decrypted = stupid reason.

By the way, thanks for the info, it scared me, but since it is a false positive, I feel better.

4. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

http://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,2340.msg18350.html#msg18350

That guy in thundercloud has proven himself to be an amateur in reviewing software.
    You have already an answer at comodo forum.

5. mfsa

mfsa Registered Member

I got the same impression, yes ;-)

Yes, I know. But that was meant to ask Comodo about their point of view. "Scientifically sound" is to also ask in other places ;-)

Thanks for your reply.

6. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

The network rules are in priority, from top to bottom. So if you want to allow an inbound port, then it must be above the "block all inbound" rule.
    (example: if you place a "block all rule" at the top of the network rules, then all internet connections would be blocked)

7. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

I have been re-checking on this,............

I have setup a torrent client, allowing inbound on port 50000, this I have allowed through using a network and an application rule. Running the torrent client all o.k., inbound connections are allowed, so to all, the port is shown as open (but it needs to be to allow the unsolicited inbound). I have stopped the torrent client and the port (50000) is showing as "stealth" (as there is nothing listening on that port as the torrent client is not running).
    So, as I have mentioned,...Only if you have an application that is able to listen on that port, will that port show as open. (otherwise it will show as stealth (not closed as earlier testing on previous builds shown))

8. Jon Lund

Jon Lund Registered Member

Allright, thanks! Sorry if I forced you to repeat yourself :rolleyes:

- Should've searched a bit ;)

9. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

No, not at all,.. I needed to re-check, so posted the results.

10. Jon Lund

Jon Lund Registered Member

Allright ;)

11. speedlever

speedlever Registered Member

How should Comodo be setup to use when traveling and using ethernet and/or wireless hotspots?

I have my home wireless LAN set up, but ran into a problem at a hotel recently. I plugged in the ethernet cable and booted the computer only to see several pop-ups from Comodo saying certain services were not running. Sure enough, 3 of the 4 services were not running and the messages suggested that I reinstall the product to fix it. Clicking the buttons to turn on the services would not work.

Instead, I disconnected the ethernet cable and rebooted. I re-enabled wireless and regained normal Comodo operations. But I'm not at all sure that I'm properly protected except when I'm on my home WLAN.

I don't know how to configure Comodo for varying ethernet/wireless connections when I'm traveling.

If I can't figure this out, I'm going back to ZAF... unless there's some other option I haven't discovered yet.

I just spent the last 2 hours searching the Comodo forums for "laptop" and didn't find anything helpful or promising about this issue. Have I overlooked the obvious or is Comodo not very accomodating for a traveling laptop?

Any thoughts?

Using Comodo 2.3.5.62.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.