New Chrome beta 8 - incredible

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Kees1958, Oct 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

Chromium is the original project. It is open-source. Google takes Chromium and adds their stuff to it to make Chrome. So, basically, Chrome is a proprietary Chromium.

2. chronomatic

I use Chromium and I have Flash and h.264 as well as automated (nightly) updates. I don't need or care for PDF reader.

I mainly use it because I want to avoid Google's tracking.

3. Eice

Eice Registered Member

True, it's possible to manually plug those into Chromium. If you're willing to perform extra steps, I guess this isn't an issue.

What tracking are we talking about, specifically?

4. ALookingInView

ALookingInView Registered Member

I wouldn't call it "incredible", but it's cool.

5. chronomatic

The tracking Chrome does (or maybe used to do, I think I read somewhere Google was ditching it, though). You know, the whole "unique ID number" and all that. From Wikipedia:

6. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I wonder when will Chromium/Chrome have the option to disable iframe o_O Until then, it won't be 100% incredible. ;)

It's the only browser I know of it won't allow to do it, among Opera, IE, Firefox and Safari.

7. Eice

Eice Registered Member

You can opt out of RLZ tracking at the Chrome download page. Doing so will serve you a Chrome installer that doesn't include an RLZ string.

On Windows at least, you can zap the RLZ string post-install by nuking a registry entry even if you selected to participate in RLZ tracking. Not sure how it's done in Linux, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.