New Chrome beta 8 - incredible

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Kees1958, Oct 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cocopara

cocopara Registered Member

Don't forget, IE, Chrome and Firefox is copying OPERA so perhaps its OPERA whos far ahead?

2. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Really hope you're wrong there! I'm expecting it any day now. The famous six weeks is up.

3. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I don't exclude chrome for a specific reason, it is fine. I guess if chrome is chromium, why not use chromium if I can. It is released often enough and seems stable enough. A little bit of research lets you choose which builds might have issues. I haven't seen issues, but then I don't change them often enough most likely.

Why would one not use chromium? Isn't the end goal to produce a browser called chromium? Or maybe chromium browser is only compiled and released so that offspring browsers have a baseline to use? I guess I haven't looked into why chromium builds are released.

Sul.

4. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Copied Opera with GPU acceleration..? Extensions..? Security features(isolated tabs, malware download blocking(only recently in opera), etc)..? I don't think so ;)

5. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Yup it isn't actually "beta" from what I can tell.

6. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Among other things, yes.

There's plenty of reasons not to use Chromium unless you're a tester. The builds are not guaranteed to pass even automated tests, and can be highly unstable. New features are unpolished at best, downright unusable at worst. There's no autoupdater in case updates need to be delivered in emergency situations. As you've noticed, no Flash plugin, PDF reader, and h.264 codec support due to software licensing issues. The devs also toggle funky stuff on and off every now and then to test and gather data on various issues (cache, networking, etc), some of which are highly suboptimal for normal browsing patterns and daily use.

Chromium was intended for developers hardcore testers. Casual testers are probably better off using the Dev channel and sending automated (and anonymous) usage statistics and crash reports to Google, which Chromium doesn't do.

Of course, if those issues don't affect you, go for it. I just found it somewhat interesting that a normal end user would want to tolerate Chromium for daily use instead of just using Chrome (or one of the many Chromium-based derivatives).

7. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I'd think that the end goal (of each iteration) is a stable version of Chrome thought to be fit for use by the general public. (Even then, there's much chatter when features are added or removed relative to the previous stable Chrome.)

Chromium is where new ideas are tested with no assurance at all as to their stability or ultimate inclusion.

8. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Donwloaded. Installed. Still hate it. I know it's beta but it just lacks too many features. No buttons but a forward, back, reload, and the options button at the far end. I really hate the integrated search/address bar. It lacks the ability to set up multiple search providers, at least as far as I can tell. I grow frustrated with all of the recent efforts to dumb down software. This and the IE9 beta are both something I will never use. At least the Firefox 4 betas have to option to customize the interface and make it usable.

9. Eice

Eice Registered Member

What else are you looking for?

Right-click the address bar, "Edit search engines...".

Or "Options" -> "Basics" -> "Manage" button in the "Default search" area.

10. xxJackxx

There wasn't even so much as a Home button. I'd like to have one, as well as the ability to have a print button, maybe something like Firefox or IE has to open a sidebar with history or favorites. If the options are there it takes more effort to dig for them than is necessary or I am willing to give.

As for the search I know the default can be changed but what I like about the separate search box is I can load it up with multiple providers and then type something in and if I wish I can search another provider with a click or 2.

I am sure there are people that love it but it is just not for me.

11. fsr

fsr Registered Member

I use Chromium everyday and i don't find it unstable at all, but to each is own.

12. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Same here, for near two years. And, during all this time only two issues, and one was quite recently, but also quickly solved. But, only two minor glitches, I must say.

Each person will have a different experience, and is ultimately up to each to test for him/her self. No one can really advise or not advise based on own experience.

13. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

One thing I dislike is that I cannot view offline web pages with Chrome. At least, I never could. Maybe I had to set something, though I couldn't find any options.

With IE I can do that just fine.

14. Eice

Eice Registered Member

"Options" -> "Basics" -> tick the "Show Home button" checkbox.

Print button: https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/pofkeddbgaicmdobmbgionlllcdanokl

Chrome doesn't have a sidebar, but history and bookmarks buttons are available that open those pages in a tab.

Sorry, but the fact is Chrome comes with more features than Firefox if you compare their default installations, and looking for additional options in Chrome is no more difficult than in Firefox. You don't like Chrome "just because". That's a perfectly valid reason for your choice, we all have our personal preferences, but please don't be dishonest and try to pretend otherwise.

Which is exactly what the option I gave you allows you to do. Did you even try it before jumping to conclusions?

15. katio

katio Guest

Both there last time I used it. Try harder.

Re Chromium: it makes sense on Linux because of the licensing while you still get an auto-update and the choice between stable, beta and nightly builds depending on how adventurous you are -all based on chromium and maintained and tested by the distros.

16. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

The person has made his/her dislike for Chrome/Chromium clear enough. Why suggest anything?

17. katio

katio Guest

Because there are other people reading this thread too?

18. xxJackxx

1. Correct. It is a valid choice, and I made no claims otherwise. I don't believe I was being dishonest in expressing my impression of it. If it is going to take 2 hours for me to dig through the thing and find options that are already obvious in most other browsers, it is not worth my time to do so. There are too many other choices. If the good folks that make Chrome don't want to consider my preferences, at least I have expressed why I will not use it.

2. I have already uninstalled it. Your suggestions to improve the experience are appreciated, but I have no further interest in this version. I'm sure a lot of hard work goes into it, but the interface is just not acceptable to me.

19. Eice

Eice Registered Member

There's your dishonesty right there.

If you're actually being honest, then the best that can be said of you is that you're incredibly incompetent. And even then, another piece of blatant dishonesty is that the options are no harder to discover in Chrome than in Firefox; either click through the options windows, or look for an extension.

20. xxJackxx

Honestly it probably would take that long. Per the link you posted the print button is actually a browser extension. Not something that would have been found in the options and not something I would have expected to be a browser extension. Definitely something that is infinitely easier to find in Firefox. I'm sorry you feel the need to get so defensive over a browser. If you are finished being condescending yet (or not) I have nothing more to say on the subject.

21. Eice

Eice Registered Member

I'm surprised why you think <insert feature here> needs to be in the options or available as an extension. Is there some recognized authority on web browsers who declares which feature should be found where?

What if I want, say, app tabs, automatic translation, or tab thumbnails in Firefox? Going by your logic, those are "infinitely easier" to find in Chrome. You can cherry-pick all you want, except that the facts are clear: Chrome comes with more features out of the box, and finding options involves the exact same procedures as with Firefox: look in the options windows or the extensions repository.

Not really. As always, I'm just allergic to BS and deliberate dishonesty. But you've made so many incorrect claims in this thread that I'm hardly surprised at this point.

22. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Eice,

You being pretty clued up on Chrom(ium) what is the best way to print not the whole page but just some selected text ?
    Pity also that spell checking cannot be disabled globally via the Options. For instance 'Eice' was underlined squiggly red until I right clicked in the comment box to get to the spell checker options.
    I seem to be able to disable it permanently in preferences like this:- (similar to mine - the bold addition seems to have done it)

(On Ubuntu)

23. Reimer

Reimer Registered Member

I used to use Chromium but integrated flash and PDF reader just make Chrome the better choice IMO.

Unfortunately, GPU acceleration is just not ready yet. It's extremely unstable on my Win7 64-bit + Nvidia card system. Early builds simply gave me the typical "sad faced" error page. A recent build actually went as far as causing my video card driver to crash and give a kernel error.

This CNET article states that GPU acceleration is being pushed back to Chrome 9.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-30685_3-20019331-264.html

24. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Or you might want to go to Options -> Under the Hood -> Change font and language settings -> Languages and untick the "check spelling" checkbox.

25. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Ah. Thanks for the info.

I am just the sort of end user who would do that lol. I have always had a desire to do such things, whether with computers or any aspect of life. I imagine it is my need to know "why" and "how". Thus far I haven't had any issues really. I was lured into it by the installation. I had a hard time finding a good link for the current chrome standalone installer, and decided to use chromium instead because it was so easy, and still is.

Sul.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.