New box creation wizard for 1.7.0 (or so)

Discussion in 'Sandboxie (SBIE Open Source) Plus & Classic' started by DavidXanatos, Dec 21, 2022.

1. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos Developer

One of the upcoming builds will get a box creation wizard instead of the single window, it will look something like this:

upload_2022-12-21_20-46-51.png

When the advanced checkbox is checked the "Finish" button changes to "Next" and more options can be set.

I was thinking about putting a selection of the following options on one or more advanced pages:

upload_2022-12-21_20-52-30.png
    What other options would you like to see in the advanced pages?

2. pb1

pb1 Registered Member

I realize that this is not what you want to hear in this thread but here i go anyway.

Adding and removing browsers and programs to Sandboxie should be more automatic, simpler to add. To add a browser that is not in the list of browsers is now not an intuitive and as easy action as it should be. The browsers that can be used with s-boxie is very limited compared to the amount that exists. I think you lose users, and customers by this. So making it an easy thing to do would be a good thing for all involved

3. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos Developer

@pb1 adding browsers... you don't need to add anything to use any browser in a sandbox, the templates are only convenience options in case you want to open your browser profile something you can do using the access rules manually.

Also how could sandboxie know, without user input the path a random browser saves its profile to?

Please explain how you would envision this to work better

4. pb1

pb1 Registered Member

For browsers for instance, there are a list just for conveniance so the user can tick the boxes of what he
    wants to give s-boxie access to for each browser. It should be easier to add and remove browsers to that predefined list. Some browsers are hardly used, Slimjet, so it`s presence is based on an old assumption, and at the expence, nowadays, of someone more used.

The user should only have to browse to the browsers exe, click it and, voila, it shows up in the list with all options to tick like now. And, those that exists should be easier to remove with just a "Remove" button. I know many that finds it tideous to add their browser, when they finally have figured out how to do it, as the default one so they skip s-boxie instead. And i think you can see that with my example, it would be very easy to handle this and that would be a huge step forward for user conveniance and for creating a more modern functionality in s-boxie. A functionality that has been the same now in ages and, as i said, quite old fashioned compared to how smooth "add and remove" functions are in other programs in general.

So if one change browser often, try new ones, then the action now is, unsimple.

As i mentioned, there are some handlings in s-boxie that has been with it since the begining, things that it is time to modernize.
    I mostly think of Classic version.

5. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos Developer

@pb1 I was thinking about the issue....
    basically nowadays there is Chrome and FireFox and _nothing_ else
    all these so called variouse other browsers are just forks of one of that two,
    so knowing how they behave we could indeed simplify the mechanism of adding new browser templates,
    the user would only need to brows to the browser file and then browse to the user profile location,
    with this infos we should be able to detect if it is chromium or firefox based and generate the right paths.

will put that on my todo, if you dont see it a few weeks please remind me, or open a github feature request for this.

6. pb1

pb1 Registered Member

That`s the spirit :thumb:.

I use a browser named Catsxp and it could not work with the Chrome profile so i had to add it. So a change according to what you mentioned in how to add browsers would be appreciated by all chrome and firefox users. There is a lot of forks out there, a lot, coming and going.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2022
  7. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos Developer

preview on the new wizard:
    upload_2022-12-22_15-41-49.png

upload_2022-12-22_15-41-58.png

Virtualization scheme is if to sue Delete V2 or not.

upload_2022-12-22_15-42-5.png

the two options are disabled because on page 1 a hardened box was selected, for other box types thay are available.

upload_2022-12-22_15-42-25.png

8. camelia

camelia Registered Member

The only advantage of creating another box is to have two working browsers? Or is there another utility?
    Came

9. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Nope.
    Of course, you can sandbox or create sandboxes for any program/app you wish hoping it won't have compatibility issues.

10. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos Developer

The recent addition of new optional compatibility limiting protection features in the 1.9.x line made me think that we need to improve the Box creation wizard and offer new presets.

like suggested here https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/sandboxie-plus-v1-9-1.451191/#post-3142939 we should probably have a few more selection drop downs in addition to the box type, for example a use case drop down like this

So perhaps something like this

Select intended box usage:
    1. Use it to run apps installed on the host and discard the status upon termination
    2. Use it to run apps installed on the host but maintain the status between sessions
    3. Install apps to the box entirely.
    Select desired isolation level:
    1. Security hardened (maximum isolation)
    2. Default Isolation
    3. Enhanced Compatibility (reduced isolation)
    Select data access policy:
    1. Allow read access to user data
    2. Block any access to user data

As you see I'm wonder if having 6 box types is the best, perhaps we should have only 3 and make the privacy choice separate like int he above example

An other thing i was thinking about is to save the choices which toggle multiple options as an own setting such as to be able to enable additional recommended features for a given use case once their appear.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.