** New Beta **: Free ZoneAlarm AntiVirus 10

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by fax, Mar 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

ZoneAlarm Free Firewall version: 10.2.024.000
    vsmon version: 10.2.024.000
    Driver version: 10.0.217.000
    Antivirus engine version: 8.2.11.97
    Antivirus signature DAT file version: 1082341664
    Web Identity Protections version: 1.5.379.0

I believe this is the latest.

Ice

2. fax

fax Registered Member

Yeap, thats correct should be the last. Since you mentioned running for "about two weeks" without problems I was confused. Thats why I asked :)

3. o1ofuis4u

o1ofuis4u Registered Member

I worked with ZA 2 years ago on our office computers, did OK but felt it was slow. Ver 10 seems lighter and faster, maybe I will try it again.

4. zip

zip Registered Member

I tried ZA Free Antivirus.

When I saw that it was 32bit I uninstalled it.

I don't care if it works on 64bit systems.

5. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Your comment makes no sense at all. avast! is 32bit in most parts as well but that doesn't make it any worse than something written entirely in 64bit.
    In fact most of apps are still written in 64bit, only kernel and system drivers and written in 64bit because they just have to be in order to even function.

You might get some extra performance with 64bit, but you might just as well get exactly the same results as with 32bit. For what? Many months of coding for no real world benefit at all? Plus it makes it easier as a cross platform app.
    With native 32bit and 64bit you'd need two separate installers or one much bigger because most users don't even know what version of OS they have.
    Bottom line, it's just not worth it. Unless you make a simulation that requires gigabytes of RAM, gigabytes of pagefile, large data addresses and 64bit registers for large data set calculations. There you'll see some benefits. For current AV tasks, it's just not worth it.

6. zip

zip Registered Member

RejZoR,

I've heard it before. Please pardon my vanity in wanting 64bit programing.

In my sig. you will see that I'm using MSE, it's 100% 64bit. It serves me well.

You're welcome to use all the 32bit software you want.

BTW, the last time I had avast! running on this machine it was all 64bit except

for the ui. ;)

7. fax

fax Registered Member

Many AVs out there are 32bit coded. There nothing wrong about it and make little sense for AV to code in 64bit. This fits more, for example, for CAD/graph applications.

But... Users preferences are users preferences, you don't need a rationale behind it. It's like wanting a red car instead of white. So, why not. :)

8. IceCube1010

This might sound like a silly question but where are the Kaspersky Virus definitions located on my pc? It updates each day. Is this a pure cloud based av system?

Ice

9. fax

fax Registered Member

AV signatures are downloaded locally while application control SmartDefense rely on the cloud for the determination of safe applications and their appropiate permissions.

10. IceCube1010

thanks! I just don't see the files for the definitions on my pc.
    Ice

11. fax

fax Registered Member

Sorry don't know for ZA free... In retail versions is in Program Files\CheckPoint\ZomeAlarm\avsys (bases folder). Probably the same?

12. IceCube1010

Yes, that is where I looked but none of the files looked like they have been modified recently. It's actually Program Files(x86) on my system. I see the program updating but not the files. That is why I thought maybe it was purely cloud based for the av part. Strange really. When I was using MSE or Avast or Avira, I could see certain files getting updated but not in Zonealarms. Unless it's hidden or cloud based.

Ice

13. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

has anyone really tested the beta on malware? just wondering :)

14. fax

fax Registered Member

and in the /bases folder how is latest file dated? Do you also see the DAT number changing?

Are the ZA logs reporting successfull updates?

Fax

15. IceCube1010

Now I'm really lost. I don't have a bases folder. Do you mean directory? Also the logs do report a successful update. Could this folder be hidden?

Ice

16. IceCube1010

Sorry, boy do I feel like a dunce. The files are located under Programdata directory. All is good.

thanks
    Ice

17. fax

fax Registered Member

Ah, ok! Sorry for not been enough specific! Good to know all is fine.

18. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

Any news on the next beta, rc, final or any?

How is the behavioural component working?

When I tested this beta, I found the behavioural component to be good for experts but not for novices/average users. It gave me the same suspicious popup for popular & safe apps like VirusTotal Uploader, VLC Media Player & Sumatra PDF.

Anyone tested the behaviour component with safe apps & malware both to see its reaction?

During my test with zeroday malware on real system xp sp3 32 bits, I never got any other popup from this component but only 1 popup it gave sometimes & that was "unusual dns query"

Anyone tested it in a good way & their experience & opinions plzz?

19. IceCube1010

I just got an update and now it's at:

ZoneAlarm Free Antivirus + Firewall version: 10.2.034.000
    vsmon version: 10.2.034.000
    Driver version: 10.0.217.000
    Antivirus engine version: 8.2.11.97
    Antivirus signature DAT file version: 1082020768
    Web Identity Protections version: 1.5.381.0

It is running really smooth over here. I have it running on a win7 32 and 64 pc's. This latest update seems to allow you to mess around with the behavioral scanning selections. I have only tested it with small old samples which it detected all of them. I have not tested it with zero day stuff.

A little history: It's funny how things go around. Back in 2005 or so, I used a free av that aol put out which was using the Kaspersky engine. I was also using a version of zonealarm free. This was my favorite combo. After about a year or so, aol and Kaspersky split and so the free av was gone. From then to now I have tried different combo's, some good, some bad but now I have that special combo!!!!!:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Ice

20. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

hey i remenber this old antivirus from aol it was a green one with a green umbrela:D :thumb: it's virus detention was very good:)

21. gery

gery Registered Member

A little history: It's funny how things go around. Back in 2005 or so, I used a free av that aol put out which was using the Kaspersky engine. I was also using a version of zonealarm free. This was my favorite combo. After about a year or so, aol and Kaspersky split and so the free av was gone. From then to now I have tried different combo's, some good, some bad but now I have that special combo!!!!!:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Ice[/QUOTE]
    back then they implemented mcafee virus scan plus firewall but now i have no idea what they are doing with this thing

22. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

yeah i really liked the old AOL av. i hope the zonealarm av is good.

23. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

Any changes in update frequency or update scheduling?

24. IceCube1010

no, still 24hr cycle. I believe once they get all the kinks out, this might change. I know some people have a problem with the 24hr update cycle but with a security suite like this, I believe this is less of an issue than you might think. Having a very good av engine, firewall, application control and browser protection coupled with some common sense, will go a long way. The more frequent updates won't hurt but I'm not too concerned about it. The only real issue I have found is every now and then (it happened twice in 16days of use) the icon will not appear in the toolbar. It seems to be working never the less since I tried a few things and it reported them. The services were also running as well.

Ice

25. IceCube1010

back then they implemented mcafee virus scan plus firewall but now i have no idea what they are doing with this thing[/QUOTE]

Yes, very good memory. I think that is why I left.:argh: Kidding aside, I'm sure Mcafee is much better nowadays.

Ice

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.