** New Beta **: Free ZoneAlarm AntiVirus 10

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by fax, Mar 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Any word yet on when they will reopen the beta?

2. Mops21

Mops21 Registered Member

Hi

Is the Beta Version Multi language

3. fax

fax Registered Member

No, only English. Normally localised versions are released after two/three months from the official release.

4. buckslayr

buckslayr Registered Member

I've been using this on an old laptop for about a week. Seems really light and the laptop is very responsive. Anxious to see some credible reviews of this product.

5. fax

fax Registered Member

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  6. Mops21

Mops21 Registered Member

Thank you very much for it

7. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Great! Have it installed now in an XP VM (VirtualBox). One thing that happened was it crashed the VM when attempting a boot sector scan at the end of the install. After a forced shutdown and restart the install finished OK. The only issue I'm having now is the ZoneAlarm security engine extension for Firefox is preventing FF from opening. I can start FF in SAFE mode but there isn't an option to remove the extension. Is there a fix or workaround for this?

8. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

Thanks for the update. Running smooth as silk here on a Win7 64 sp1 pc.
    Ice

9. clocks

clocks Registered Member

vsmon.exe @ 98meg of ram is part of ZoneAlarm right? If so, this certainly is not light in terms of memory usage.

10. IceCube1010

True, it does eat up a bit of ram. But it's light on cpu from what I can tell. If you have the ram it's ok. I will keep an eye on vsmon.exe

11. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Crashed again trying to do a quick scan. Does anyone else have this running successfully in a Virtualbox XP VM?

12. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

do tell about AV capabilities of this suite w.r.t to the paid suite.

13. Legendkiller

installed it and i am updating the AV database.

AV : No Autoheal,I-swift,I-check. Cannot modify "On-Access Scanning" option.Has Behavioral Scanner

14. Legendkiller

Didn't have that, on my home pc. I will check for the quick-scan when the definitions are updated.

It maybe that it doesn't work well on VM as of now.

15. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Well if ZA loads the entire database into the memory like ESET, and Ikarus does to speed things up then that's OK I would say.

16. Legendkiller

well its hanging when i try to download test file from eicar with FF and i am unable to use free download manager and media player classic.

Will see if problem goes after a reboot.

17. SweX

SweX Registered Member

FWIW.
    I can't say that the RAM requirements for the 64-bit versions are low.

18. fax

fax Registered Member

No, sorry but ZA does not normally supports VM environments.

19. fax

fax Registered Member

Probably you see this during antivirus scanning... 98MB on idle is not normal. You should get between 1MB to 50MB. If not, report it! Memory use will be very variable depenfing on local configuration since vsmon intelligently adjust himself to the available RAM and work load.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  20. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

I guess

AutoHeal - means autoquarantine, right?

I-swift - What is I-swift?

I-check - what is I-check?

Behaviour scanner - Do you mean behaviour scanner as in ondemand or realtime too? And is it enabled/disabled by default?

And can anyone tell me how to change the password for the beta site. I forgot the password & used the wizard & they emailed a temporary password which I want to change. They have provided the link for it but I cannot find any info there.

Link - http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en-us/support/zonealarm-service-support.htm#

By the way downloading now & going to test it. If anyone wants to know the result ask to PM & will send the result. They dont allow home grown tests so will not bother the mods now here.

21. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

Installed it.

AV update showed updated today & next update the next day. I clicked on update & it started updating & its toooo slow. I dont know if this is initial big update or the normal update as I mentioned update showed updated today. The update took app. 45 mins here on 4mbps conn.

The installer size when I downloaded it showed 62 MB whereas the paid FW + AV is app. 152 MB.

Tooo bad riskware protection is not there so a limited AV.

I dont know what those checkers are. Can any one explain cpChecker & cpSwift?

I looked into the ZA folders I could not find anything kaspersky so may be its using only ZA engine + sigs? Any info on this?

Only 1 update every 24 hours, not good.

I didn't installed toolbar. Does it provides anything extra related to protection? I guess it doesn't coz web protection is there in the GUI i.e phishing & malware.

Behaviour is enabled by default but I cannot move the slider to see what all are there. Any one with the same prob?

Downloaded & install was fine with no prob on XP SP3 32 Bits, 512 MB RAM. Little sluggish sometimes may be coz I have low RAM.

22. quanzi_1507

quanzi_1507 Registered Member

Well if your RAM doesn't reach the 4GB amount I don't think you should use 64-bit system in the first place :D

23. IceCube1010

Updating the definitions does seem a bit slow. Remember this is a beta software and the developers want to hear the noise from us. The memory usage does seem high on both my machines. I will monitor this. The only issue I have encountered is with a game called COD MW3. Playing this in a LAN with my son I found if you select ARP protection, it freezes the game sporadically. So I left it off and it works fine.

Ice

24. fax

fax Registered Member

This is kaspersky technology to speed-up AV scanning: http://support.kaspersky.com/kes8wks/protect?qid=208285421
    In short, they are there to speed up on-demand scanning. i.e. Not scanning what has been already scanned. :)

yes, kaspersky. ZA uses kaspersky.

25. fax

fax Registered Member

Provides a bit better control on the web protection. E.g. A "site check" button in the toolbar will give you information about the website creation, location, if it is a known spyware site or spammer... etc. However, core web protection will work with or without the toolbar.

Autoheal probably it refers to the automatic treatment of identified AV threats. May be grayed also to reduce conflicts with other installed AVs (i.e. fighting each other to have access to files).

AV updates: Isn't it there under "scheduler" options to set frequency of update? It is in retail versions.

Hope this helps

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.