New best shredder

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Devil's Advocate, Dec 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. true north

true north Registered Member

Hi,

here are the features of the:www.r-wipe.com/
    software as a quotation:

R-Wipe & Clean 7.0 features
    Total computer cleaning
    The important part compare to other cleaning / shredding
    software is that after the deleting process follows immediately the shredding process. Depend on your size of files, folders and so on you deleted, it takes ONLY a few minutes and EVERYTHING is gone !! not recoverable.
    There is NO NEED to run the unused disk space feature because what you deleted is removed from your computer
    (securely overwritten - 1,3,7 or 34 times ).
    You can customize the wiping list and of coures set your schedules.
    Trial is 15 days and the price: 28.99 USD.

I can only recommend to try it out and play with it and go from there.
    I use it for some time now and be totally satisfied.
    But it depends what YOU need!

true north

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2007
  2. SafetyFirst

SafetyFirst Registered Member

Do you think it's better than free alternatives like CCleaner and CleanCache?

3. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

Thanks Blue! You made a good point about the oops that you can't fix. I really liked the way this shredder worked (in the background) but when I seen that price I about fell off my chair, and said no way.

4. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Rilla927,

As with you, I like the approach followed. The vendor just needs to complete on execution. At this point the product has some rough edges, and that's not unexpected for a 1.x version level. They need to put it through a detailed validation protocol to address some of the deficiencies that I've observed and noted, and they need to get a realistic perspective on pricing.

Parenthetically, I inquired about the competitive upgrade when I was examining this product and did end up making an impulse purchase - that price was fine.

As for the oops potential, that simply points to some additional configuration flexibility that's needed/desired. But even without it (say an ability to exclude My Documents), I don't have a major problem using the product since it is few and far between that I'm left high and dry with a file fumble.

The basic idea is appears sound and is one that I'd use once the rough edges are smoothed out.

Blue

5. true north

true north Registered Member

To SafetyFirst,

the app. mentioned above is much better than the free cleaner; but that app. is not free. There are many good cleaning apps. out there but the major difference is they DO NOT wipe / shred what they delete. Only "ShredAgent" and "Wipe and Clean" doing this. Try things out and you will see how it works.

true north

6. SafetyFirst

SafetyFirst Registered Member

Are you saying that CCleaner and CleanCache do not wipe/shred? They both have secure deletion in their options: CCleaner 1,3, or 7 overwrites and CleanCache single pass (random bytes), DoD 5220.22-M STD (3pass) or Gutmann (35 pass)...

7. Genady Prishnikov

Genady Prishnikov Registered Member

What? Disinformation alert! There are dozens and dozens of programs that wipe/shred/erase/whatever you choose to call it, rather than simply delete. ERASER. Window Washer. CCleaner. Tracks Eraser Pro. History Cleaner. Stellar Wipe. Total Wipe Pro. This list could go on and on. Many of these have plug-ins or built-in tools that allow you to erase the data left behind by custom applications and not just the usual offenders.

8. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Correct!

There are many free and paid programs that wipe files and disk free space. The thread started with a consideration of Shred Agent. The end result should be nominally the same with any of the products mentioned. Although I have not performed an extensive product comparison myself, the primary differentiator claimed for this product is that it is a background shredder acting on each file deletion as it occurs. In other words, it's a realtime shredder, not an on-demand shredder. Personally, I think this is a nice differentiating feature and is something I'd pay a nominal amount for, but the key word there is nominal.

Blue

9. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

Hi Blue,

Your comments do help with considering a purchase. I do really like the idea of the shredder wiping in the background. I thinks it's a great idea.

I wonder how a program like this would affect First Defence -ISR when doing a copy/update of a snapshot?

Also, programs like Kav that's always scanning.

Hopefully, someone here has used these programs and give some results.

What programs are included for the competitive upgrade?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.