New best shredder

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Devil's Advocate, Dec 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Unless the program you're using (f.e, ShadowUser/Surfer or DeepFreeze) specifically tells you that the space it used to create its' running environment gets securely deleted when closed, then it's a certainty that it doesn't, which means the info there is still available to computer forensics unless something securely erases that space afterwards.

Sam - If you've glanced at this exit sequence I've described here: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=843140&postcount=17 , can you tell me whether or not your program would actually provide any added benefit? Pete

2. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

3. Sam Miller

Sam Miller Registered Member

All browsers - IE, FireFox, Opera - are set to delete personal data/clear temp files/not remember history for longer than Zero days/remove d/l history upon exit, etc.)

Let's see, delete FireFox data and temporary files - this is great, but it still _delete_. I've tried to do it myself, I have cleared FireFox cache. Sure, I don't see all my visited pages in FireFox now, but let's try to recover some cache files and check them with any HEX editor. The result: I can see my links again! FireFox doesn’t wipe data, it just deletes. I've tried the same with Shred Agent and FireFox (1.5.0.9), now I was not able to recover my links. I'm sure the result will be the same for IE or Opera.

"Clear all events" - without backups. The same thing - Windows cannot wipe data, it just deletes this data and even after clearing I can see even log as a plain text.

The problem is that running wipe free space after clearing won't help, because of locked sectors. Sure, it will not be possible to recover whole files, but part of some files is not a problem.

So, yes, Shred Agent will make every your step really secure as it will wipe data, not delete.

4. Sam Miller

Thank you! I have forwared this bug to our developers, will fix it soon.

5. true north

true north Registered Member

Hi there,

to really get a full protected privacy/security does that means I need a two layer procedure?

1. use a sophisticated system cleaning/wiping software AND
    2. ran a shredding/erasing software, preferable continuously in the background during online/off line activities o_O

Thanks

6. Sam Miller

Yes, but also you should run some anti-spyware software, i.e. anti-keylogger or better anti-virus with anti-keylogging function. This will provide sufficient security level.

7. Hillsboro

Hillsboro Registered Member

Hello Sam,

I had the same install problem too... Could you make a post here when it is fixed?

Questions:

Can't find much specific information on your web site regarding Shred Agent... What wiping algorithm are you using?

Is it clearing the MRU's and other flies in the registry as does BC Wipe?

Thanks...

8. Sam Miller

It fixed now, but application still have some minnor bugs. The answer to your question in the next post.

9. Sam Miller

What are DoD (or NSA) standards - these standards specify the number of passes (7, 10, 14, 1024?), but if it really makes your files more secure? The answer is NO. With today’s hard disks it doesn't matter if you overwrite file once or twice or 10 times. The information will be overwritten after one pass and it is quite enough.

Why publishers of file wipers like talking about number of passes? Actually, because some government agencies do so. These standards were invented for old hard disks (even data tape) many years ago.

Technically, it’s easy to change algorithm a little and perform any number of passes, but we do just one pass as it’s enough.

No, it's just file shredder now. BC is not a background mode file shredder, it will not stay in background and make deletion operations secure enough. That's the main difference.

10. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Those really concerned about temporary data could use a ramdisk to hold such files instead. That would avoid any issue about data being retained after power off.
    Well Peter Gutmann's article probably has a lot to do with it. Since the magnetic coercitivity of hard disks (their ability to "retain" magnetic patterns in informal terms) has increased (in line with increasing data densities) I'd be interested to know why you consider this no longer applies.

11. Sam Miller

As for RAM disk yes, it's a great idea, but not all programs have such option. And all these temporary files are to make the work more stable and to save your data in a case of power off.

Thank you for sharing this link, for sure Peter Gutmann is expert that wrote a lot about data security.

First, pay attention to publication date, the article was published in 1996 more than 10 years ago. I do remember all these floppy disks - big and
    small one. They worked slowly and it was easy to corrupt the disk.

Second, there is no absolute way to solve any problem with security, so what we just try to control our risks. Here is a quotation from the article:
    "the actual effect is closer to obtaining a 0.95 when a zero is overwritten with a one, and a 1.05" let's consider the assumption that 5% of data is not overwritten correctly. What does this mean? If you have a 100-characters line, then you will be able to read only five ramdomly positioned symbols. Something like this (applied to previous sentance):
    " t r w d b "

but, you will not see spaces, instead, you will see some other characters:
    "wottvbdfopewnjgreiobdkjvorivrvrvcxoiroegmergdfowvfoiermnreoxpfgrebndfirtdoifewfpofewffbbfd"

now, the probability to recognize the information is very low.

I don't have a link to share, but it's known that today hard disk will write data more accurate than in 1996.

Finally, just imagine, if 5% of your data would not be written correctly at hard disk then how many errors would you have in your documents, video, pictures?

Conclusion: it wasn't really necessary to overwrite data back in 1996, for sure, it's not necessary to do it today.

12. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Hmm...it seems unlikely that he was talking about floppies only. While hard disks have certainly greatly increased in capacity, there have been relatively few major changes to the techniques used for writing data (aside from PRML, only perpendicular recording comes to mind) so the article would still seem valid for magnetic media (flash storage being a different topic certainly).
    That example suggests more (to my eyes at least) the ability to identify the original data value despite 2 overwrites (it wouldn't be 0.95 unless it had been 0 previously). Now it may be harder to identify the original value from a frequently written bit, but given that disks implement checksumming at hardware level and most filesystems include further integrity checks, it seems likely that much more than 5% can be retrieved by using these checksums in combination with PRML.
    It seems that advances in accuracy are being used to increase capacity so while the precision of recording is certainly better, the tighter tolerances required are likely to cancel this out to a large part. However this is an area that only a forensic data recovery expert could discuss with authority.
    Well if 95% of data could be retrieved (after 5% data loss), then this would certainly be enough to identify original content even if that content may not be fully usable. This situation is probably what users of secure erasure software want to avoid.
    That likely depends on users' situations and the applications used. For most, it is quite unlikely that they will ever need to do more than a basic delete - however if they do have a need for something more comprehensive (either due to sensitive data or a sensitive Significant Other), then it seems rather short-sighted not to offer multiple overwrites - even as an option.

13. Sam Miller

Frankly, neither in this article, nor in some other article over the net I have not seen any proof of this concept. If it is possible theoretically, then why there is no tool that can recover files overwritten ones? The answer is - because it's not really possible. The data remains irrecoverable even after one pass wiping.

The bigger problem is possible spyware software that make do hidden copies of files and keep them or send out by email. So, security is always about managing risks.

14. Sam Miller

Hi!
    I’m writing to let everybody know about major Shred Agent upgrade. We have released a version 1.2 with wipe free space function.

Few words about how wipe free space works.. It's really fast, as it works at system drivers level... It's secure. Before doing wipe free space, Shred Agent asks if it can empty Recycle Bin and System Information Folder (here copies of deleted files are being placed), and sure after wipe free space it was not possible to recover any file data.

Minor issue is that it's still possible to see file names of deleted files, but these names are something like: ~file_na~4.~xt and sure, we are now working to fix this issue too.

Finally, with some scheduling tool, it's possible to run Shred Agent periodically via command line to wipe free space. It's very useful for system administrators.

Official press release is available at press section.

P.S.
    We have a lot of feedback from Wilderssecurity forum visitors. Thank you for all your words and critiques!

15. SafetyFirst

SafetyFirst Registered Member

I agree completely. Such an option would give user a certain peace of mind. It would be good to have that option, at least for psychological effect, if nothing else.

16. Sam Miller

Sure, it's a good idea and not hard to implement, we will add it in future version. Just for psychological effect :)

17. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

For the folks in this thread that have used Shred Agent:

Does this program do everything it says it can do?

Just trying to get opinions. What do you guys think of the price?

18. Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate Registered Member

It seem to do what it claims to do. But who knows?

Maybe Sam should release one of those pesky demos tests to show the superiority of his product.....

19. true north

Hi there,

Shred Agent is not the only one who cleaned / deleted your computer activities ( online and offline) and shred /erase your data.
    Have a look here: http://www.r-wipe.com/
    This app. deletes what you want (a list can be made) and shred / wipe the contend at once. Schedules are not a problem; when ever you want your customized list will be deleted and immediately wiped/shredded.
    Fast and secure !!!

Give it a try.

true north

20. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Sam - All the stuff you mention there is totally "erased" - securely deleted - by Eraser (subsequent to the "deletions" by the other programs), since that's the last program that gets run.

No sale (especially not at that kind of price :eek: ) Pete

21. true north

To Pete (Spy 1),

Have a look at the delete and shred app. what I use:

www.r-wipe.com/

It's delete what you want and shred/wipe it immediately.

It works and is secure.

true north

22. Rilla927

That's a good idea!

23. Rilla927

That's exactly what I thought!

24. Rilla927

Hey, this is a neat looking program and it's compatible with Opera. I came across this program before but then forgot about it.

Since I have never used this type of program before, is this one of those programs where I can destroy my computer by choosing the wrong options?

Do you wipe the free space first and after that just clean up all your tracks from there on in? True North can you elaborate on your use with this program?

Thanks for the link True North.

25. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Rilla927,

I've made a couple of comments elsewhere. As with any 1.x version of a program, there appear to be a few items to address and that includes the price.

Blue

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.