New Avira SS 9 Beta Is Available

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Graystoke, Feb 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I must say that in the last 2 weeks I had some problems with their updates, flagging normal programs as malware: Ad Muncher, Shadow Defender, and lately ShadowProtect as well. I've notified them, but their reply would only state they were clean files, so I don't know if that means they acknowledge the FP or else.

The best solution (suggested by another member) is to exclude the programs from Avira, and the problem is gone. A small hassle when it happens, but arguably still the best AV in terms of detection, which IMO is the most important aspect to consider. I'd rather have a few FPs than an AV that misses a few nasties.

I have something else to add, I'm often surprised how much people expect from a product they haven't paid for. Luckily for these people there are alternatives which are also free.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2009
  2. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

FP's are dangerous not only for average users
    Shadow protect,shadow defender,it flagged the latest Alcohol during install as a Trojan,if one of the mentioned progrms fails becouse of this than your PC will be compromised.
    I don't complain,becouse they are always very quick to respond in my experience both regarding FP's and/or malware submissions ,that's why i'm surprised at some of the situations mentioned here.In fact contary to some belives these situations are rare ,and i do have 85 programs and 12 games on the PC that has Avira installed.
    A free version with spyware protection sounds awesome ,probably they'll add more nag screns if they do this :D

3. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Sorry, but FP problems are something i'm not going to tolerate even if i haven't paid anything for the product. Besides, what i report in free version, those with payable one don't have to bother with.

4. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Stefan replied to my mail. Yey! Things are moving somewhere.

5. Arup

Arup Guest

I will live with the Avira FPs for the fantastic detection and protection it provideds to me just like I live with Avast even when others say it lacks heuristics.

6. aniku

aniku Registered Member

ohh pleaseee who says that they can't live with Avira because of their FP's ? who?

I mean they offer great and best protection over all other AV's.
    Just look at Drweb, Bitdefender, Eset4, F-Prot they have more FP's and it takes much more longer time for these other AV's to fix FP then Avira.

So Avira has the greatest protection and the fastest respond to fix FP.
    Just subimit them from the website subimit and they will be fixed by some hour's.

I can't wait for this free version AV+antispyware+best detection that's enough protection for all.

7. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

All true except for the false positives fixing reaction time, Dr.Web rules in that Dep.

8. gery

gery Registered Member

Correct

9. risl

risl Registered Member

They do have a system that priorizes the tickets depending on what you select when you submit them, if you select a false positive it will usually be fixed in 1-3 hours.

10. LillyTown

LillyTown Registered Member

11. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I don't understand the second thing that AVIRA guy is saying. I know he's talking about spyware/adware detection and something else in free version, but i don't understand what it is exactly.

12. progress

progress Guest

Proactive detection will be included in Avira Free later :)

I hope they will upgrade their servers :rolleyes:

13. aniku

aniku Registered Member

i know about antispyware but are you sure that they are saying the HIPS will also be included?
    Because i didn't understand a thing what they were saying ;)

and oh when will it be released =) i want it so badly :p

14. subset

subset Registered Member

He says - spyware protection will be added to the Free version and they have decided that later on also behavior-based detection will be added to the Free version.
    A little earlier he says - proactive detection will be added to the new line-up later on.
    But it's seems like he uses 'behavior-based detection' and 'proactive detection' for the same feature.
    And for me it also seems like he wanted to avoid the word HIPS, which is not really a common term in Germany - except for... Shakira, Shakira. :argh:

Cheers

15. pykko

pykko Registered Member

hmm.... HIPS, but when?
    I guess in version 10, as it is not even beta-tested.

16. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Hm, migration banners and info for version 9 is gone on their webpage.
    Can this mean they will release it very soon?

17. gery

gery Registered Member

Most likely:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

18. hawki

hawki Registered Member

If you go to the individual product pages the same V9 stuff is still there. It's only been removed from the homepage.

19. aniku

aniku Registered Member

but why does nobody gives an exact date ? i still don't understand it.

They say it will be released when it's ready, it can mean today, next month, next year :D

I am really excited to try this new version.:p

20. normishmael

normishmael Guest

We are starting to sound a little Comodo-ish here?
    Just kidding,I am busting a gut to try the free version of Avira 9.
    HIPS? Shelips!
    I just want the anti-spyware!

21. aigle

aigle Registered Member

If they add HIPS n AS both in free version then why one will buy the premium version?

22. normishmael

normishmael Guest

So you say they will join Avast! and Sandboxie,where the greatest competition for the paid version is the free version?
    I can live with that!!

23. Arup

Arup Guest

Corporate Avira will sell and make big money, also the web shield is quite useful and that probably will remain a part of the paid version.

24. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

As far as I understand (as a Dutchie) the freeware version will get antispyware included, plus the enhanced self protection, the wizard and the multi core support and the terrific ahead heuristics, this new fact is reason for this setup (I am using the release candidate of the V9 engine)

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=235984

Cheers

Last edited: Mar 14, 2009
  25. aniku

aniku Registered Member

today Saturday, i think i saw some user on avira forum post that it will be released after this Holiday (maybe), so let's wait and see...

Anyone has some info?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.