New Avira SS 9 Beta Is Available

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Graystoke, Feb 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Access Denied

Access Denied Registered Member

Update was finished successfully. it just showed up

2. 2good

2good Guest

I have Admuncher & it takes care of the popup not to mention OnlineArmor prevents it from loading

3. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Eh, i thought dual core optimization will be for Guard also. But it's only for on-demand scanner :(
    I also can't seem to make Antivir 9 to turn scan status from "Not performed" to something else no matter how many times i scan the drives.

4. Thug21

Thug21 Registered Member

Does it support 7 zip??

5. Boost

Boost Registered Member

I just installed antivir 9 and tried scan status and it started immediately.

6. MalwareDie

MalwareDie Registered Member

That is not what RejZoR is talking about.

7. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Dual core optimization causes scan to just quit between scan.
    After disabling it, it completed the scan and is all green now.

8. Boost

Boost Registered Member

Post the problem on their forums :thumb:

9. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

I suggest everyone to install it through the smaller online installer from their webpage.

The offline installer could be a PITA for some users due to current high demand ;)

10. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

i had issue with the online downloader installer, wuldnt download, it worked fine and downloaded pretty fast for the offline one.

11. Arup

Arup Guest

Avira during scan uses all of my eight cores wonderfully, on my Phenom all four cores are used. This really makes the scan process blazingly fast.

12. MalwareDie

MalwareDie Registered Member

Do I have to uninstall version 8 first?

13. Boost

Boost Registered Member

Yup, you should try it!

14. Arup

Arup Guest

The installer does it automatically for you, so far tried that on three different PCs and all went fine.

15. Boost

Boost Registered Member

Thats strange because on my computer plus a couple other family members computers,we all had to uninstall version 8,then download version 9.

16. Arup

Arup Guest

I allowed it to auto upgrade and it went fine.

17. Boost

Boost Registered Member

Maybe we were too excited,we were doin the ol' manual update process :D

18. Macstorm

I received 'complaints' yesterday from some friends and colleagues (i recommended avira to them) saying they couldn't download the full installer package. The online installer did the trick.

At this time however downloads are a breeze :cool:

19. lu_chin

lu_chin Registered Member

After I downloaded the full offline installer, I ran it and it automatically removed version 8 and then rebooted the PC. Then I ran the install again and it failed to install both webguard and mailguard since it could not modify the LSP. I ignored that and it continued with the quick system scan and finished. However, when I ran update.exe either by using auto update or by manually running it I could not see the usual online update window. Instead nothing appeared on the screen. When I ran setup.exe inside the Antivir Desktop directory, it said "Initialisation of the program modules failed". I rebooted into XP safe mode, uninstalled version 9 and installed it again and I got the same thing regarding update. Did anyone see such behaviors?

Thanks.

20. Macstorm

lu chin, you need to uninst v8 manually first before to inst the new v9.

21. lu_chin

Thanks Macstorm. I could not manually uninstall v8 since it was removed the first time I ran the v9 installer. I still could not figure out why running update.exe did not do anything.

22. Sealord

Sealord Registered Member

lu_chin

I had similar problems and error message/s and usual uninstall function did not work.

In Safe Mode I solved the problem manually deleting all references to Avira following the instructions at:
    http://www.avira.com/en/support/kbdetails.php?id=135
    and also using the Avira registry cleaner:
    http://www.avira.com/en/support/support_downloads.html
    (you may have to change permissions in the registry on two files or they may remain)
    Usual caution: Do not mess with the Registry if you are unsure... make sure you have a backup.

Note v8 and v9 have slightly different folder names. Get rid of anything Avira or Antivir in case you have both. Then after rebooting reinstall the version you want. Worked for me.

23. lu_chin

Thanks Sealord. I will give this a try.

24. robinb

robinb Registered Member

You know this is a terrible way to upgrade using this file.
    I have a client using the Pro version 8.0 She has seen nothing go by, popup telling her to upgrade. I went onto her computer and clicked on "check for updates" and the only thing that popped up is the regular updater downloading definitions.

I clicked on "check for updates" and all it updates are normal definition files
    She doesn't sit in front of her computer all day and when i asked her if she saw a box popup asking to upgrade Avira she said NO.
    So I went into her computer remotely to try to update it myself, again all it did was do regular definition updates and the version still said 8.0
    If a program has an upgrade either it should do the upgrade and sit there with a box in front of the computer nagging the user to complete the install or it should have a popup that stays there until the user clicks it to upgrade. If it goes away- how the heck are you suppose to even know there is an upgrade? Not everyone who has Avira comes to this forum you know.
    AVG will do the upgrade (which they just had) and if you are not in front of it you will see a red icon and you would click it since normally it is not red to know what to continue to do.
    Superantispyware Pro when it updates the version- it popups up with a screen in the right corner taskbar and stays there till you say- install the upgrade or not.
    So many other programs do the same.

You cannot just have something popup and "go away" and never popup again. We all have busy lives and not everyone sits at their computers 24/7. This is a really dumb way to allow an upgrade and if you want people to use your product you need to fix this.

I am an IT person and I would never have had a clue to do the aventworkloader.exe. I even asked fellow IT people I knew and they would never even know about this file to do an upgrade. This is a file solely inside avira as part of your program. Believe me I do not have the time to look at every file in your program and evaluate each one- thats nuts!.
    robin

25. domdom

domdom Registered Member

Does anyone has the same issue:
    I have the free version and it updates everyday ok but then asks me to reboot all the time!! doesnt seem right.
    Am I the only one?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.