New AV-Test NOD 2.51.8 placed behind Symantec

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by honeybunny, Aug 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

trojan,

If you keep entering threads with the sole purpose of trolling in them, then your posts will be removed. Try to add some intelligent thoughts or go elsewhere to post your one-liner bashes.

2. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Never. There are also many things to consider that these "tests" do not consider, that many of us consultant/VARs run into in the real world. Based on these, plus personal experience with seeing NOD32 in action on machines previously "protected" by other AV products, where NOD32 finds baddies.

For one...the top several antivirus products are very VERY close in score on this test...the actual difference between them is pretty much negligable.

After years and years of selling/supporting Symantec, I've run into many instances where the complicated software has had issues running effectively on "real world" machines. Live update, real time protection, constant scripting errors. More so on the home user consumer versions than the Corporate Edition, but still. And don't get me going on Mcafee.

Most of us who are experience in this field know there are viruses/worms out there which actually seek out the top several antivirus products on a workstation they attempt to infect and try to "knock them out", disable them...so they may continue to spread. Similar to Windows vulerabilities which some exploits take advantage of. Here's one reason to stick with an alternative AV product. Add to this, a few modify to hosts file so AV updates grind to a halt. Not many have Esets update server on this hosts file hack.

3. Get

Get Guest

@trojan: I don't really get your point. Nod is almost catching up with kav and nav in this test (if it keeps going at this pace it will have a score above 100% next time), has a firm first place in last retrospective/proactive test, has a small footprint on my pc and I never had a virus/trojan since I use nod and I ,as one of the old nod-ladies and former nav-user btw (don't get me started on that), shouldn't take all this seriously?

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Last post by Trojan removed due to non-compliance of warning.

5. IBK

IBK AV Expert

Just a short comment from my side: did anyone read the whole pdf report?

6. trojan

trojan Registered Member

yes i read the pdf kav came first in all catogry's nod came 3rd or 4th

7. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Off topic bickering etc removed (again) as per LWM's warning and Ronjor's later action.

8. IBK

IBK AV Expert

read the last page too ;)

9. SDS909

SDS909 Registered Member

Agreed, at the very least, this test doesn't factor real-world whatsoever. Real world is Jotti's and VirusTotal. Real world are the hundreds of threats I collect a week on my honeypots.

When IBK said VBA32 scored less than 85% I had to roll my eyes.. Consistantly, day after day, thousands of samples, VBA32 finds everything other products consistantly miss.

The importance of that in comparison to a closed hobby test with select samples is absolutely relevant and should be considered. I'm already up to 350 samples this week that VBA32 detects that almost no other AV detects.. I've showed many shots of some of those as they arrive here to prove my point.

In my lab, VBA32 is a 95%+ product(depending on threat) for real-world, new threats, that are out and about, infecting PC's on a daily basis.. Not some dead samples from 10 years ago nobody knows about.

10. Get

Get Guest

Well a lot of posts were removed so it's a little strange thread now but what the heck. @trojan: my point is that I don't choose my av on just one positive test or just one positive irl-experience and stick with it whatever happens. It's a combination of a lot of things and at the end of the day, for me, Nod32 came out best. The speed of nod, the interface, the beginning of trust I had in it due to tests in the first place and growing trust I have in it due to experiences I had with it along the way make it that. Is it the best than? No, of course not. It suits me best and that's all that says. Could it be that another av will suit me better today now they have a newer version? Could be, but I will only test another av again when Nod32 let's me down in an inexcusable way. And it has never done that...

11. Paul2

Paul2 Guest

''New AV-Test NOD 2.51.8 placed behind Symantec''

damn ! i just bought NOD32 today (54 euros) ....:(

12. Stan999

Stan999 Registered Member

Direct quote from Jotti's site.

"You're free to (mis)interpret these automated, flawed statistics at your own discretion. For antivirus comparisons, visit AV comparatives"

13. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Does your (security) lab have a Home page and have you published your results?

14. Stan999

Stan999 Registered Member

I would much rather have an AV that does well on both Reactive tests and Proactive, zero hour, tests.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1850851,00.asp

Even with a fast Reactive signature update it can still take several hours or much more before you are protected from the major outbreaks.

15. Live

Live Guest

The problem of some users here is that they think that there is a "THE BEST" antivirus on the market. There is no "THE BEST" antivirus. It´s just a choose of the user for his necessities... My necessities made me choose NOD32, the necessities of user X made him choose KAV, the necessities of user Y made him choose NAV, etc.

There is no the best antivirus for all, but the best antivirus for me, or for user X, or for user Y.

16. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

Well stated!!!

17. trojan

trojan Registered Member

the term "best" was in referance to a post that stated "nod32 is catching up to kav" what your saying is that other antivirus have benafits in other ways like the big deal nod32 users make about the "foot print" yes if thats a main proitry for you then use nod for me its trojan detection. to say thier is no best is silly at the moment thier is choices to make for detection then kav is best for detection+light foot print then nod is best, the best in all departments just has not been written yet the context i used the term "best" in was related to the august test results read my previous post again and you will grasp the point :cool:

18. Live

Live Registered Member

The "best" that I´ve mentioned is not referance to any post, and not about "that other antivirus have benafits in other ways"...

KAV is the best solution of a detection+light AV for you and for a lot of users, but is not for another lot of users...its just a subjetive question...there´s no doubt that KAV has the best detection rates, but the best AV is not necessary the one that have the best detection rates.

Best detection rates is a objective question, we can determine wich one has the best detection rates by visiting sites like av-comparatives, but we can not determine wich AV is the best in a objective way, but just in a subjective way.

That´s why I don´t understand users that bash NOD32 or NAV or McAfee or any other AV, or bash users of these AVs, `cause this users that bash an AV is not in the context of those users that choosed the AV that was bashed...these users that bash think they are "ilumminated" and know which AV is the best, and the other users did not "saw the light yet..."

Who these users think they are? Are these users the owner of the truth?

Just to say....I use McAfee VSE 8.0i, not NOD32...

Sorry about my english...

19. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

I think IBK said it best in the AV-comparatives August2005 results released thread when he said:

The products that scored an ADVANCED+ rating include:

Kaspersky
    Symantec (Norton)
    NOD
    McAfee
    BitDefender

I guess users of these products can compare, brag, pound their chest or disparage others if they wish.......but to me, I really don't see any good coming from that. I think users of these products should feel confident and take comfort in the fact that they are very well covered and have excellent AV protection, no matter which of these products they are using.....

20. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Thread is closed due to off topic postings that have been removed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.