New av-comparatives.org test 8-2004!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Firefighter, Aug 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Benvan45

Benvan45 Registered Member

Thanks for your reply, but does McAfee 7.03 scan mail through Outlook Express?

Thanks for the info in advance. ;) Putin

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Here is what the settings as far as mail goes.

Attached Files:

3. bigc73542

and the other settings. I hope this helps.

Attached Files:

4. Benvan45

Thanks for your info again, but is it just Outlook it scans or Outlook Express also?

Thanks again..... ;)

Putin

5. bigc73542

It scans all mail as it is opened but I believe that it is only outlook that it scans by default. there is not much if anything that should be able to get past it in an e-mail since it scans everything that comes into your computer.

hope this helps

bigc

6. Benvan45

Thank you bigc, clear enough!! I'll sure give this a try!!!!

Good luck........

Putin

7. bigc73542

I hope that it works as well for you as it has for me over the past four years.

bigc

8. Ailric

Ailric Guest

After just recently getting a quicker computer, the choices of an AV became more open to me. I have read these boards and checked various tests like Rokop, AV-Comparatives and www.virus.gr. KAV is usually the clear winner along with AV's that use the KAV engine. McAfee usually pulls in second. Since McAfee has offered it's program free for previous users (versions 4 and 5), I have installed and run McAfee 8.0 and have been pleased. Also Panda Platinum is also offered for free and has fared very well... this would be my second choice.

It is ironic that 2 of the top 3 AV's are/were FREE!

9. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

If I understand things correctly (a big "if"), with the latest version of McAfee, version 8, you need to keep ActiveX enabled in order to use it; that is a no-no for security minded folk. I believe that earlier versions of McAfee did not require this.

Acadia

10. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

That and it turned into a cross/upsell platform.

11. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi everyone,

The more I read the posts, the more I am at ease with NAV though I have been seriously trying out other products which I feel may give me better protection. I do use TDS-3 and BOCleas for trogan protection and they both co-exist with NAV very well. I am also trying out Ewido which seems very nice and a new spyware detector called SnoopFree Privacy Shield which I am hoping to find more information on.

The reasons I like NAV, and keep coming back to it is:

1) It seems to be catching all of the viruses that attack my computer. I frequently run online virus detection software such as McAfee, TrendMicro, and Panda to confirm.

2) The Liveupdate facility works well.

3) It co-exists with my other background software very well (e.g., TDS-3, BOCLEAN). This is a big plus. I have found that Kapersky likes to have things pretty much to itself. I even have NOD32 control center with IMON running with no ill-effects.

4) Decent user interface.

I like Panda but I am not sure it will give me additional protection (both while browsing and reading email) and whether it will co-exist with other programs as well as NAV. But I would be interested in hearing from anyone else who has moved from NAV to Panda (or McAfee, though my experiences in the past with McAfee have been poor) especailly if they are running background software like BOClean and TDS-3.

Thanks,
    Rich

12. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Richrf, thanks for posting, very interesting. I too use NAV, moved over from NOD :eek: (that will cause some here to faint), and I also use BoClean and like you, no problems. I am also contemplating the purchase of TDS and it's nice to hear that everything appears to be compatible. Everything so far on my system also plays well together. :cool:

Acadia

13. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Well the main thing why i didn't like NAV was the fact that if virus passed by,you were doomed because in 98% NAV was permanently terminated.
    Also it uses a bit too much resources and updates are not too regualar.
    I also don't like their policy of releasing new versions every year for full price with minor changes (only interface changes,everything else is almost the same all the time). Also LiveUpdate module updates too many small components that can easily go wrong while updating. Happend too often to me,and i had to manually delete various LiveUpdate temp files in order to download correct updates again.

14. msanto

msanto Registered Member

I used NAV just about forever, until they started activation. That's just something I'm against, and I won't buy a product that has it (unless I have to, with XP!). Remember Symantec had a problem last year where they had to fix an activation bug? :mad:

I moved to McAfee, but now for some reason w/ SP2 if I need to d/l a reinstall (not an update) of the product, the web page with the d/l won't load.

So I've been looking around, and just haven't been able to find something that fits all my requirements. NOD32 is close, but man 2.12.1 seems really buggy. I was trying mks_vir but after installing it on a slow laptop just to see what happened (266 P2, 192 MB) it really bogged the machine down. 'Course, my normal PCs are all P4s, but I want a light AV. F-Prot is my other candidate right now.

For now, I can stay w/ McAfee, as long as something doesn't go wrong where I need a reinstall ... so I'm in no real rush.

15. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi Arcadia and RejZoR:

Thanks for your replies.

To Arcadia,

Practically everything I have tried to run on my machine, other than KAV, has run favorably with NAV (Dell Windows XP SP1 with 512k). I have tried TrojanHunter and TrojanGuard (which I use), Ewido, NOD32, Spysweeper, and most recently SnoopFree.

While each product has its own strengths, I have to say that when I really need to make sure my system is clean I turn to TDS-3 and the support staff at DiamondCS. The support group has always been terrific and it is money very well spent. I have often thanked them from filling in the holes in my knowledgebase. So I can highly recommend all of Diamondcs products including Wormguard, RegProt, and Port Explorer. Processguard has been a bit painful for me (too many conflicts) so I have temporarily abandoned it until the next version is available and will re-visit. It is a terrific product but it kept getting in the way. I hope to have it on my machine again soon.

If you have any comments of your own on products that you are using, I would very much like to hear them.

To RejZoR:

Thanks for your comments. I know that everyone has their own experiences, so I certainly understand where you are coming from. However, given the fact that my experiences are different - e.g. NAV has not been disabled nor has LiveUpdate given me any problems, do you see any advantages in moving to Panda or McCafee. It is not clear whether Panda will offer me any additional protection and I have found McAfee to be quite a nuisance in the past, though I do use their online scanner to backup NAV. Thanks for any input that you can provide.

Regards,
    Rich

16. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

We may be told by the Mods to stay on subject, but my all time favorite program is FirstDefense-ISR, nothing else comes close, well, maybe except for GoBack, my second all time favorite program. Here was a recent thread about FD:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=44413&highlight=fd-isr

If you want to continue this discussion about software that is not antivirus, I suggest we move this elsewhere, or it will be moved for us. :D

Acadia

17. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi Arcadia,

Thanks very much for the tip. If I have any further questions about this software, I will move the discussioni elsewhere.

Regards,
    Rich

18. Polly

Polly Guest

What is activeX? And why is it bad?

sorry, I'm a newbie

19. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

ActiveX is a special piece of software designed to add functionality to Internet Explorer browser. Its like a very adaptable plugin. Its usually used for online antiviruses or media players,but there is probably more such ActiveX controls that act like a dialer,keylogger,advertisement or a toolbar taht integrates itself into browser or Windows itself. Its usually very annoying.

20. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

I'd go with McAfee corporate AV. Small hit on system performance and very stable. McAfee has excellent detection rate on most PC bugs. Only downside is that you must enable active X to update the program.

Norton uses too much CPU clock time. And the LiveUpdate program can go bad, resulting in no virus definition update.

If your AV program is working properly and has a current virus definition, then it will intercept the most common PC threats. It would be very difficult for bugs to propagate if each PC connected to the internet has a working (free or paid) AV program.

21. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

As RejZoR said, ActiveX is built into IE, just look through the Options, Security and you'll see it. If a hacker is able to gain control of your ActiveX, as I understand it, he then has almost complete control over your computer.

Acadia

22. Polly

Polly Guest

thank you rejzor.

I use mozilla firefox and not IE as the standard browser. Is activeX still harmful to me? I have not bought mcafee yet, I was thinking of buying it. Should I get another virusscanner that doesn't use this activeX?

23. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

It's so stupid that an AV needs IE to work...

24. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Hmmm, then I would be curious to know if McAfee would even work with Firefox. Anyone out there using Firefox WITH McAfee? This would have to be the latest edition, version 8 of McAfee, since I believe the earlier editions did not require the use of ActiveX.

Acadia

25. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

You need the ActiveX to upgrade the Windows...

If you don't use the IE, than you don't have problems...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.