New attempts to access the internet

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Firebytes, Jun 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

I used CHKDSK earlier today and allowed it to fix errors automatically while I was away from the computer. I also stopped a few services just afterwards that I considered unneeded. Ever since then (after rebooting) I have been getting requests from "COM Surrogate" and "IP Configuration Utility" to access the internet. I have blocked the attempts, for now at least, with my firewall.

Anyone have a clue why they are all of a sudden requesting internet access? They never have before as far as I know.

2. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hello. :)

You have stopped - exactly which services?
    And the firewall is... ?

3. Firebytes

Thanks for the reply Seer.

I disabled the following... SSDP discovery service, Universal plug and play device host, Windows time, and Security center. I also disabled Volume shadow copy and MS software shadow copy provider but had to re-enable them as Powershadow threw errors on shutdown without them running. (Yes I know if I have Powershadow I should have tried disabling the services while shadowed to see how the system reacted,:oops: but in my defense I didn't have problems until the reboot.) I have other services that I have disabled in the past but those are the ones from today...that I remember.o_O

I have ZA free for a firewall.

4. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hello.

Could you please check the logs in Windows Event Viewer (Start->Administrative Tools). Look for any red or yellow warnings and post them here. COM surrogate is dllhost.exe and IP configuration utility is ipconfig, so they are pretty vital. DCOM (COM surrogate) could have some use of SSDP and UPnP with WMP11 for some media sharing abilities.

5. Firebytes

Thanks for the reply. I didn't disable Com surrogate or IP configuration utility I just blocked their access to the internet as they had never requested access before. I will look into the event viewer and see what I can find.

6. Firebytes

Seer,
    Thanks for your attempt to help, it's really appreciated. I just had a thought though to look and see when my last system restore point was set by the system and it was only a day ago. So, I went ahead and did a restore and that seems to have fixed me up. Sorry if I wasted your time.

Thanks again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.