New Antiexecutable: NoVirusThanks EXE Radar Pro

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by sg09, Jun 3, 2011.

1. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

And amazing to me NVT-ERP is still so ever efficient, at least on the prior series version to 10 which I have no interest in for a very long time. Windows 8.1 is as solid as a rock while all the softs around it are constantly jockeying for either better compatibility or updating to readjust to Microsoft's 10 updates that twitch a switch now and then.

Fantastic creation ERP. The thing just won't quit and neither will I using it in it's current form. (even if it is a bit, shall we say, mileaged?)

2. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

How version 4 coming along ? Still being worked on?

3. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

I was wondering the same thing. ERP 4 has been part of my main security setup since it was released.

4. bellgamin

bellgamin Very Frequent Poster

I'm still happily running 3.1.0.0 build 1-24062015. I prefer a straight-forward, user-friendly anti-exe. I don't want all the extra add-on's in version 4 for the same reason that I don't want a vacuum cleaner with an attached radio & white sidewalls. To me, version 3 is a potential mass-market security app whereas version 4 is a niche app -- & a very tiny niche at that.

I wish NVT would make 2 ERP versions: (1) a straight-forward but powerful anti-exe like version 3, and (2) a version 4-type anti-exe for ITs & SysAdmins

I'm sure others will disagree but that's why Baskin & Robbins makes ice cream in so many flavors.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020 at 12:10 AM
  5. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Our @Peter2150 was another who despite my urging and some back n forth PM's outlining what extra benefit 4 might offer, was sold solid and quite satisfied with version 3. He explained his reasons, all of which were perfectly understandable from the viewpoint of keeping it simple (on his Windows 7)

Version 4 is virtually part of my 8.1 Windows O/S itself. Rarely even bother with checking anything including logs since it responds in an instant each time required of the settings. And does it well.

6. bellgamin

I miss Peter. He was a good fellow, a gentleman, and a scholar while he was here. He still is a good fellow, gentleman, scholar (I'm sure) where he is now.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020 at 5:23 AM
  7. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

I agree. Version 3 was elegant in it's simplicity.

I was one who pushed for changes due to what are now called LOLbins (largely gaining prominence with Excubits blacklists) changing hashes with new versions of Windows, requiring changing ERP selections with each Windows release. But I believe version 4 went too far in accommodating many other requests, and became overcomplicated, and never really pursued it.

I believe the requirement for a return to simplicity is what prompted the creation of OSA. (Incidentally I hope OSA doesn't also meet the same fate with the paid version).

And IIRC I started having problems with v3 on Win 10 at a certain point, so went the new' OSA route instead of troubleshooting ERP v3.
    Does v3.1.0.0 build 1-24062015 still work with current Win10?
    :thumb:
    Indeed. He offered me his sage advice from the time I landed on this forum, and we exchanged quite a few PMs. Felt like a personal relationship.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020 at 3:03 AM
  8. bellgamin

Solution: Keep V3, dump Win 10. :p

I do not know. I'm still running Win7. :rolleyes:

9. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Yes, I was thinking about this the other day. I also think ERP 3 was better when it came to certain parts of the GUI. I believe that ERP 4 should become a bit simpler, but it also misses certain features like "strict parent-child process control".

With this you would be able to control that for example only explorer.exe and vivaldi.exe can start vivaldi.exe or that only system processes can start explorer.exe and svchost.exe, this would protect against process hollowing attacks for example.

10. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

Running that build on Win 10 Pro Build 1903 here w/o issue.

11. Pliskin

Pliskin Registered Member

Simple GUI = simple rules. ERP 4 > ERP 3

12. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Great point!

ERP 4 here on 8.1 but 3.0 is in storage and available for use. Still covers a good deal of interaction branches.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.