New Antiexecutable: NoVirusThanks EXE Radar Pro

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by sg09, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Floyd 57

Floyd 57 Registered Member

PresentationHost.exe is already on excubits' blacklist

Here's a list of Excubits exe blacklist combined with NVT's default 42 vulnerable processes, as well as some custom processes I've added, annotated by !!!

[Bouncer] means the rule is in my Bouncer .ini

aspnet_compiler.exe
    at.exe
    attrib.exe
    auditpol.exe
    bash.exe
    bcdboot.exe
    bcdedit.exe
    bginfo.exe
    *bitsadmin* [Bouncer]
    bitsadmin.exe
    bootcfg.exe
    bootim.exe
    bootsect.exe
    ByteCodeGenerator.exe
    cacls.exe
    cdb.exe
    certutil.exe
    cmd.exe
    !!!cmdtool.exe
    !!!control.exe
    csc.exe
    cscript.exe
    csi.exe
    cvtres.exe
    dbghost.exe
    dbgsvc.exe
    debug.exe
    DFsvc.exe
    diskpart.exe
    dnx.exe
    eventvwr.exe
    fsi.exe
    fsiAnyCpu.exe
    hh.exe
    icacls.exe
    IEExec.exe
    iexplore.exe
    iexpress.exe
    ilasm.exe
    infdefaultinstall.exe
    *InstallUtil* [Bouncer]
    installutil.exe
    java.exe
    javaw.exe
    journal.exe
    jsc.exe
    *jscript*.dll* [Bouncer]
    kd.exe
    *lpkinstall* [Bouncer]
    lxrun.exe
    *LxssManager*.dll [Bouncer]
    !!!Microsoft.Workflow.Compiler.exe
    !!!mmc.exe
    msbuild.exe
    mshta.exe
    msiexec.exe
    MSPUB.exe
    msra.exe
    mstsc.exe
    net.exe
    net1.exe
    netsh.exe
    netstat.exe
    !!!notepad.exe
    !!!notepad++.exe
    ntkd.exe
    ntsd.exe
    odbcconf.exe
    powershell.exe
    powershell_ise.exe
    PresentationHost.exe
    quser.exe
    rcsi.exe
    reg.exe
    *RegAsm* [Bouncer]
    regasm.exe
    !!!regedit.exe
    regini.exe
    *Regsvcs* [Bouncer]
    regsvcs.exe
    regsvr32.exe
    !!!robocopy.exe
    rundll32.exe
    RunLegacyCPLElevated.exe
    runonce.exe
    runscripthelper.exe
    sc.exe
    schtasks.exe
    scrcons.exe
    script.exe
    sdbinst.exe
    sdclt.exe
    set.exe
    setx.exe
    shutdown.exe
    *Stash* [Bouncer]
    syskey.exe
    *System.Management.Automation* [Bouncer]
    systemreset.exe
    takeown.exe
    taskkill.exe
    UserAccountControlSettings.exe
    utilman.exe
    vbc.exe
    visualuiaverifynative.exe
    vssadmin.exe
    wbemtest.exe
    wevtutil.exe
    whoami.exe
    windbg.exe
    wmic.exe
    wscript.exe
    xcacls.exe
    xcopy.exe

Combine this with my list of unassociated file extensions from the bouncer thread and your PC will be rock-hard!

Of course, if you are like me and you've unchecked every single thing from NVT Exe Radar Pro 4's security settings, namely:

Allow System Files
    Allow All Microsoft-Signed Processes
    Allow Microsoft Windows "Apps"
    Allow All Software From Program Files Folder
    Allow All Signed Processes
    Allow Known Safe Process Behaviors
    Allow Processes Signed by Trusted Vendors

Then you don't need a vulnerable processes list, because everything is not-whitelisted by default, and everything will need to be allowed explicitly to run. This is the GOD mode in NVT Exe Radar Pro 4, where you control everything on your pc, other than processes started before NVT Exe Radar Pro 4's driver, such as wininit.exe or winlogon.exe , but you don't want to block those processes anyway, not with this software

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
  2. TerryWood

TerryWood Registered Member

Hi @ NVT

On my Home tab Version 26 it says I have 243 Processes Analysed, 243 Allowed processes, 0 Blocked.

Yet when I go to the rules tab and screen by Deny it shows 10 Vulnerable Processes denied. Is this correct? How can you have 0 blocked when 10 are denied?

Thanks

Terry

3. guest

guest Guest

This number doesn't depend on how much deny rules you have in the rules tab.
    Look at the Events tab. If you see no blocked processes, "0 Blocked" is correct.
    As soon as a process is blocked (Action=Deny / Action=Ask/Deny One), the number goes higher.

4. Floyd 57

Yeah I wonder what he was thinking, @TerryWood do you have 243 allowed rules?

5. shmu26

shmu26 Registered Member

Now that you mention it, I think the exact same issue exists with OSArmor, in custom block rules and exclusions.
    For instance, I have a signer like this: Toggl OÜ
    But in "exclusions", it appears like this: [%FILESIGNER%: Toggl O?]

6. Floyd 57

I mean, it's not like you're gonna encounter malicious file whose signer is named Toggle OO or something like that (thus bypassing your Toggl O? rule)
    Perhaps that's how the dev implemented those other languages

And if you do wanna be as close to as 100% safe as possible, then whitelisting by hash, combined with all other stuff, is best (rather than relying on just signer whitelisting for example)

7. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Yes it is and doesn't take into account those latest changes though.

8. novirusthanks

novirusthanks Developer

A quick update:

Here is a new v4.0 (pre-release) test27:
    https://downloads.novirusthanks.org/files/exe_radar_pro_4_setup_test27.exe

*** Please do not share the download link, we will delete it when we'll release the official v4 ***

Build 27
    + Fixed exporting of rules that contain unicode characters
    + On "Trusted Vendors" dialog the column "Signer" now shows the number of items, i.e "Signers (1234)"
    + Fixed Details shown in "File Information" on Alert Dialog are not trimmed
    + Improved "Allow Known Safe Process Behaviors"
    + Minor fixes and improvements

To install it, first uninstall the previous build, then reboot (not really needed but may help), and install the new build.

@Rasheed187

Couldn't reproduce it here, will retry later.

@EASTER

Yes we're discussing that to see how we can implement it now that many processes fields can be combined.

We may show that maybe only for rules that have the process path+name and the hash.

@iammike

Thanks, added now to safe behaviors.

@Cutting_Edgetech

Not added yet, I'll need to better test it to make sure there are no issues and then we can add it in case.

@Mr.X

Thanks for sharing the list.

@shmu26

Good find, will fix that on OSA too in a few days.

9. guest

guest Guest

Rulles/Vendors will be exported to a file which is not in a Unicode format and therefore Unicode characters will get lost.

OS Armor is also affected and Unicode characters will be shown as "?" because the file Exclusions.db and CustomBlock.db are by default not in a Unicode format.
    Edit: A new build (test27) has been posted some moments ago, i'll test it again with the new build (Result: Exporting of rules [with Unicode characters] has been fixed).

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2018
  10. novirusthanks

novirusthanks Developer

@mood

We posted almost at the same time :D

Yes that issue with exporting rules is fixed on test 27 (see link on my previous post).

Will fix OSA asap.

11. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

No problem Andreas.
    Btw did you look at my post in the other thread, perhaps yes, but I want to know cause I know you have a lot of work to do and forum's mentions and alerts could be easily mislaid/overlooked. I apologize for the off topic but that matter's so important to me: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/anti-autoexec.393019/#post-2777900

Anything you want to reply do it there please.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
  12. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Thanks @novirusthanks for your reply-and also the new 27 test version as well.

@mood- @Mr.X and other contributors- Many and much thanks for your attention to intricate details.

13. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

@EASTER
    You're welcome and same for you, thanks for your comments as well.

14. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Yep! I want this one too!
    I completely forgot to mention here...

15. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

I already have it on my list also. I've never seen it used except by malware. I would have to do some digging to find out what users may need it.

16. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

I fully uninstalled test26 as usual plus manually deleting any leftovers and installed test27 but can't import my backed up rules. Is that happening due to the XML file encoding? I can see my back ups are ANSI and new XML file is encoded as UCS-2 LE BOM.

17. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Re-encoding Rules XML file (back up) to UCS-2 LE BOM did the trick as I was able to re-import my rules and ERP's happy again...

18. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Amazing :)

19. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

I've been using test 27 all day on Windows 10 x64 version 1709. No problems to report so far.

20. guest

guest Guest

+1,or at least put a tickbox.

21. Floyd 57

Covered by OSArmor's "block processes executed from USB" since there's no Trusted Vendors there (not by default at least, you can make exclusions for Signers which is kinda the same thing)

22. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

+1 :thumb:

23. guest

guest Guest

This is ERP here...
    If you use ERP, you don't necessarily needs or want to use OSA.

24. Floyd 57

But you should use it anyway cuz it's THAT good :thumb: Realistically, if you're using NVT ERP, that means you need/want an anti-exe (and it's not like you have a huge choice either), and if you need an anti-exe, OSArmor is a perfect addition. Like, when would you need to use NVT ERP without OSArmor being a great boost in security in addition to it? Unless you're like me using NVT ERP's GOD mode, and even then OSArmor doesn't hurt cuz it's just so light it might as well not be there in terms of performance, then yeah

I just can't think of a situation where a PC will lack NVT ERP's security protections, but will "have" OSArmor's, so to speak, maybe you know one :)
    And if that's the case, then the person using/setting up the PC is (supposedly) knowledgeable enough to work around your proposed "drawback" (putting the quotes cuz of everything I said)

I'm sure the dev will implement what you're saying sooner or later, I'm just saying that in the meantime you should use OSArmor, it's just a great product without any performance drawback whatsoever, you're losing out if you're not using it :)

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
  25. guest

guest Guest

@Floyd 57 I dont say it is not useful or working to have both OSA & ERP, just that in a ERP thread giving a solution to a feature request by pointing to another software is not what we want or need.

The way you replied is like you go in a restaurant and order a steak then you ask "may i have some sauce?" then the waiter said "you should go to the restaurant next to us, they have sauce"...
    Got my point? :)

My main security solution is AppGuard (an SRP), i use ERP and/or OSA alongside it mostly to cover a specific situation.
    If you read my signature, you would have noticed that i use OSA already (since its first release, btw).

you can have a more granular control of the system with ERP than OSA.
    OSA, which is originally oriented to Average Joe (unlike ERP), have pre-made rules which are set as default or can be activated via a checkbox. In ERP, you must "create" them.
    ERP will prompt for every executable launched, while OSA will directly block those not in its list.
    As you said there is no harm to use both together if people like to (i do in 2 of my systems) but with ERP you don't need OSA.

yeah i know plenty: for people who can't handle ERP prompts, reason of existence of OSA, because prompt-less.
    OSA is set and forget, ERP isn't at all.

Remember some of us are long time beta-testers, we don't think just about our point of view, needs or knowledge, but we have to put ourselves in place of a more classic user.
    A classic user may not need/know OSA but still need ERP to block all process launching from USBs even if part of the TVL and rules.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2018
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.