New Antiexecutable: NoVirusThanks EXE Radar Pro

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by sg09, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

2 questions.

1. Do write code yourself?

2. Have seen the ERP code

2. guest

guest Guest

lol the start of a drama for a dead product...come on guys...

3. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I was talking about the feature itself. I don't know if NVT would have difficulty implementing it, only he can answer this.

I already answered this, you never know if he picks up development again, and there is nothing wrong with a little bit of brainstorming.

These guys just don't give up. :D

4. Overkill

Overkill Registered Member

Code:
    "C:\Users\Mike\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\SwReporter\13.79.1\software_reporter_tool.exe" --crash-handler "--database=c:\users\mike\appdata\local\Google\Software Reporter Tool" --url=https://clients2.google.com/cr/report --annotation=plat=Win32

"C:\Users\Mike\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\SwReporter\13.79.1\software_reporter_tool.exe" --crash-handler "--database=c:\users\mike\appdata\local\Google\Software Reporter Tool" --url=https://clients2.google.com/cr/report --annotation=plat=Win32 --annotation=prod=ChromeFoil --annotation=ver=13.79.1 --handshake-handle=0x128
    I have been getting these alerts when opening chrome, where would I put a wildcard so they won't bug me anymore?

5. guest

guest Guest

I exchanged the user and version-number with a wildcard "*". So this command-line is valid for all users and different versions of this tool.
    3 Suggestions:
    Code:
    "C:\Users\*\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\SwReporter\*\software_reporter_tool.exe" --crash-handler "--database=c:\users\*\appdata\local\Google\Software Reporter Tool" --url=https://clients2.google.com/cr/report --annotation=plat=Win32*
    "C:\Users\*\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\SwReporter\*\software_reporter_tool.exe" --crash-handler "--database=c:\users\*\appdata\local\Google\Software Reporter Tool"*
    "C:\Users\*\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\SwReporter\*\software_reporter_tool.exe"*

6. Overkill

Cool! Thanks...I am trying the shortest line first :thumb:

7. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

"Dead"? Hmmm... I wonder. ERP still works just fine for me, & never fails to notify me when I try to do something stupid (reminds me of my wife, come to think of it).

8. guest

guest Guest

"Dead" means no development to me.

9. lol :argh: according to the developer it is not going to happen, because there is no business case for a paid Anti-Executable in the consumer market.

wondering how SecureAplus and Voodooshield are doing with their free and fremium offer to consumers.

10. Overkill

:D:D:D Same here

11. Peter2150

I agree ERP is key protection for me.

12. Rasheed187

Well, VS seems to be doing just fine. But for me it offers a bit too much. And strangely enough, ERP is still for sale on the NVT page, I thought it turned into freeware, not sure what's going on.

I'm not trying to be funny, but are you sure? I mean, you're also running EIS, HMPA and AG. BTW, here is an example of how process hollowing could be used to bypass white-listing, the new feature that I proposed would stop this.

https://isc.sans.edu/forums/diary/Hancitor Maldoc Bypasses Application Whitelisting/21683/

13. Peter2150

Hi Rasheed

It's all about layers, layers layers. I agree that the exploit in the article could in theory bypass erp, but I still consider it key protection.

1. I don't know if AG memory protection would stop it, but HMPA protects against hollow processing
    2. 99% of the word documents I open were created on my machine, by me
    3. If I am at all suspicious of the word doc, I open it in Sandboxie

So I don't see a big threat.

PS. It's always easy to find a specific theoretical threat, but what is the real risk. I am very comfortable with ERP just the way it is.

14. guest

guest Guest

the beta is freeware (donationware), not the release on the website.

15. Rasheed187

Yes, I also agree about layers. But what I meant is that you probably don't need ERP, because HMPA and AG already have the capability to block exploits. So I'm not sure why you consider it to be key protection.

I still think it's weird, I think all versions should be either freeware or payware.

16. guest

guest Guest

The development was stopped, and a newer release-version (which should be freeware) is not yet available for publishing on the website.
    So they leave the old release (payware) on the website.

17. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Except for your explanation, I understand everything you said. :isay:

18. guest

guest Guest

I mean, the new version (=freeware) is not finished yet. They can't publish it yet on their website.

19. guest

guest Guest

ERP actual stable version = paid
    ERP beta (which all of us use) = free
    ERP Next (if any) stable version = supposed to be free.

20. shmu26

shmu26 Registered Member

how can you tell when dism.exe is legit?
    I just saw it run from a random location in Temp, and I whitelisted the command string with wildcards.
    But how is the user to know what is going on?
    Looked like this:
    C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\B4B0D6C4-7FD4-4235-AA5A-257A70DB42FE\dismhost.exe {C069EC4C-D58E-4A1C-B960-1709CFEAE85D}

21. guest

guest Guest

Do you have these files in your whitelist?
    Code:
    "C:\Windows\System32\Dism\DismHost.exe"
    "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Dism\DismHost.exe"
    If not, that may be a reason, why you get an alert for Dismhost.exe.

22. shmu26

shmu26 Registered Member

Instead of whitelisting all those processes, I ticked "Allow Microsoft Windows system protected processes", it is in settings/general.

The reason I am getting a prompt is because it is not running from system32, or syswow64, rather it is running from a Temp folder in app data.

23. guest

guest Guest

Ok, in that case you get an alert.
    To be sure that only a legit dismhost.exe is executed in your temporary directory, better add those 2 files mentioned above to your whitelist (instead of whitelisting it with a command-line)
    The path of whitelisted applications is not important, but the hash. This means, whitelisted applications are allowed "everywhere", assuming the hash is the same.
    Compare the hash of dismhost.exe that was executed in your temporary directory with the file in your windows-directory. They should have the same hash.

With this approach "legit" dismhost.exe files are allowed, and for non-legit files you get an alert.

24. shmu26

shmu26 Registered Member

thanks. That will indeed save me from fake dismhosts.
    But to tell you the truth, I am more concerned about malware exploiting the real dismhost.

25. shmu26

shmu26 Registered Member

to answer my own concern, the key is to look at the parent process:
    [Parent: [3996]C:\WINDOWS\system32\cleanmgr.exe]
    since the parent is a known, legit Windows process, located where it should be, this indicates that the command line is safe.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.