New Antiexecutable: NoVirusThanks EXE Radar Pro

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by sg09, Jun 3, 2011.

1. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

:gack::confused::thumbd:

2. novirusthanks

novirusthanks Developer

@Frank the Perv

I would keep the name as is, as stated by @Peter2150, ERP makes no determination if something is malware, it simply asks you if you want to allow or block a process or it automatically blocks unknown (not whitelisted) processes. But it does not determine a malicious program. However if I would even rename ERP, I would prefer to include keywords such as "anti-executable" or "application whitelisting" or "application control" or other (not trademarked) keywords more related to the objective of the program: block unknown executables/applications.

Thanks anyway for the suggestion :D

@Charyb

As of now, ERP has a specific order to check when a process is executed, and I think it first checks if the program is whitelisted, and then if it is password protected. What may be done here, if you want to override a whitelisted process, I think we can make the check "is password protected ?" before checking if it is whitelisted. So if you have a.exe password protected and also present in the whitelist, you would get a "Enter password" alert dialog when it is executed.

3. NSG001

NSG001 Registered Member

Thanks for the latest beta :)
    Runs fine on all machines here, onwards toward final :thumb:

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Andreas

That's a good idea. Also why not do the same thing with black listing. That way even if something is on a whitelist, I can block it just by adding it to the black list.

Pete

5. Charyb

Charyb Registered Member

This sounds great. Thank you.

-------------------

With the most recent beta, I receive an error message, "failed to retrieve driver handle (nvterpprotect.sys)", then the program closes when I select OK. Please see attachment. Windows 8.1 Pro update 1

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
  6. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I had to switch back from Win 8 to Win XP, so I can´t test it right now. What do you think about my other ideas? :)

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/thre...ks-exe-radar-pro.300552/page-153#post-2399904

Yes no need to change the name. :) EDIT: novirusthanks should indeed be removed from the name IMO.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
  7. novirusthanks

novirusthanks Developer

I uploaded a new beta build v13:
    http://downloads.novirusthanks.org/files/EXERadar_Pro_x86_x64_v3.1_20042014_BUILD1_11082014_v13.exe

To update, follow these steps:

1) Make a backup (export) of your current settings/lists
    2) Close EXERadar (if it is running)
    3) Uninstall EXERadar (you can keep your current settings)
    4) Install the new build

*A reboot is not needed*

Now ERP checks if a process or command-line is password protected before checking the whitelist or blacklist.

@Charyb

It should be fixed in this new build, let me know if that error occurs again.

@Peter2150

As of now, ERP does not allow the same process to be present in both the whitelist and the blacklist.
    However, after ERP v3.1 has been released, and if no big issues will be reported, we may discuss about a new type of lists management (maybe adding categorization, etc).

@Rasheed187

Adding option to select what columns to display in each listview would require some additional work, since it is only a GUI change, it may not be took into consideration on the next version, but maybe in future versions :)

Yes, I have removed it because this way it is hidden in Task Manager's Tasks Lists and ERP is protected from a specific technique used to terminate processes.

It could be possible, but it is useful to set the focus on a button or another GUI element to suggest the user the recommended action or the last action taken, not sure if removing this feature would be a good idea.

8. Charyb

Charyb Registered Member

The error message I received no longer appears and password protecting processes is working great.

I added, "C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe*" with wildcard to the password protected custom command-line list and it is perfect.

Thanks so much. You provide great service.

I forgot to add that the password dialogue box does not show any information on which password protected process is starting. The regular release didn't have it either. I just thought I would mention it.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  9. Peter2150

Upgrade was seamless. New version working great. Thanks Andreas.

10. NSG001

NSG001 Registered Member

No issues on all machines here either.
    Thanks yet again :)

11. Paul R

Paul R Registered Member

All looking good, no issues here.

12. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I have no present problems with ERP. This being the case. . .

QUESTIONS: Is it advisable for me to download & install ERP's frequent new betas? IOW, is it inherently "dangerous" if I choose to sit back & await ERP's next formal update?

13. Peter2150

Hi Bellgamin

I always do. Of course I also recommend backup.

Pete

14. Rasheed187

I know that it´s a standard feature in Windows, but it´s ugly as hell and I don´t need it. ;)

15. Paul R

Paul R Registered Member

Had a strange one (or it could be normal behavior), i tried to block this from keep popping up

C:\windows\system32\rundll32.exe werconcpl.dll,ShowCEIPDialog

After blacklisting it i realised it blacklisted run32dll.exe & not the process, which it turn knocked my internet off (nic card), tried to unblock it but it wasn't showing up anywhere, after messing trying various things the only way i could get it running again was to do a system restore.

I did uninstall it to see if that would unblock but that also didn't work, unfortunately i don't have any logs.

16. Rasheed187

@ novirusthanks

I totally forgot to ask this, but is it possible to add a "Install mode" feature? With that I mean that when you install (or run) some app, ERP will stop alerting about every executable that is being triggered. But they shouldn´t end up on the whitelist. :)

17. Peter2150

I believe that is what "allow" mode does.

18. Rasheed187

I don´t think so, I often see more than one alert when installing some app, so I will have to click on "Allow" numerous of times. For example, SSM does have an "install mode", which will make it stop monitoring all (or most) child processes. :)

19. Peter2150

I am talking about right clicking the tray icon, then protection modes and then allow, which you can then set a time

20. Rasheed187

My bad. But that´s exactly the reason why we need a "install mode". :D

21. Peter2150

No we don't. We have allow mode which does what you want, and learning mode which learns everything, but once the install is done, you can delete the whitelisted items that no longer applied.

22. Rasheed187

@ Peter2150

When you need to install lots of new software, it´s annoying having to switch between the different modes. When I install some app, I like to run in "Alert mode", instead of "Allow mode". :)

23. Peter2150

That's fine, but then you get to click allow a lot. Seems to me you are saying we need something, but then you don't want to use it when it's already there. You are asking for an Install mode, but you would have to switch modes. Common on.

24. Rasheed187

@ Peter2150

Why need keep calm and relax? :D

I´m just saying that some people (like me) want to run in "Alert mode" all of the time, and installing of "Trusted apps" can now become annoying because of the extra alerts.

25. Paul R

Paul R Registered Member

I was thinking the same today to be honest, it would be handy to have one on the pop up screen, so you would have Block, Allow , Install. that's just me being lazy though i guess.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.