New Antiexecutable: NoVirusThanks EXE Radar Pro

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by sg09, Jun 3, 2011.

1. francisw19

francisw19 Registered Member

NVT,

I've got an issue with some .exe's running undetected by EXE Radar Pro. I run ERP in "Alert Mode". I've also got a folder of some handy system utilities that's in a folder on my D: drive (I can list these if you need them specifically). They're all just stand-alone .exe files and not installed to the OS.

On some of these .exe files, when I run them, there is no prompt from ERP and nothing comes up under the Events tab to show why it was allowed. So from what I can see, it looks like the .exe was just missed. Or perhaps I'm just missing something. Either way, I'd appreciate it if you could dig into this a bit. I'm certainly willing to help, just let me know what you need on my end. :)

2. novirusthanks

novirusthanks Developer

@sg09

I could reproduce your issue, it'll be fixed.

@siketa

I had to change few things in the Win 8.1 fix, so still testing it in few boxes. I'll see how the tests goes and I'll keep you updated ;)

@mattdocs12345

So basically you need to configure ERP so that no unknown process is executed in the PC correct ?

An example to do this, as Pete said, is this:

1) Enable the options:
    -Allow Microsoft Windows system protected processes
    -Allow processes signed by Trusted Vendors
    -Allow all software from Program Files folder
    2) Try to open all the programs that you would open regularly and whitelist all processes and all possible commandline strings
    3) Restart the PC and try to re-open the programs you regularly use just to see everything is whitelisted correctly
    4) Change the protection mode to "Lockdown Mode (Extreme)" so only whitelisted processes/commandline strings are allowed to be executed

@TomAZ

I'll look at that in few hours.

@francisw19

Actual ERP version does not fully support Windows 8.1 64-bit, I am working on it :)

3. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Thanks Andreas.

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Don't know. Mine stopped at 1/1/2014. Just checked a 2nd machine. The same.

Pete

5. siketa

siketa Registered Member

Maybe ERP thinks it was a Doomsday.....:D

6. francisw19

francisw19 Registered Member

Doh! :ouch: You're right, no worries then. I shall wait for Win 8.1 support. :)

7. ruinebabine

ruinebabine Registered Member

Not here, for me latest log is 11-01-2014.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  8. controler

controler Guest

Mine was Jan 12th 2014 but I did not have puter on today.

I am still not sure what restore default lists does..:doubt:

9. Antimalware18

Antimalware18 Registered Member

I have just one idea for this program that will make it even better then it already is, and that is when it is in lockdown mode (any level) you can right click a executable/program and add it to white list from there instead of having to open the interface. Just a idea.

10. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

Oh wow, I like this idea, a lot.

+1 :thumb:

11. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Been testing out ERP for a few days and now I think I am ready to use Lock Down Mode. Do I have to do anything special to set it up? Oh I am running it along side AppGuard if it matters. Thanks

dja2k

12. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

you are good to go:thumb:

13. DX2

DX2 Guest

Does NVT EXE protect against MBR tampering?

14. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

NVT ERP became a really solid product.

15. guest

guest Guest

I'd love to know about this too. Also, does EXE Radar protect against DLL injections and system driver (.SYS) loads? Thank you.

16. Peter2150

Guy's

You are asking about protecting mbr and against dll injections, etc. Ask your selves this. How can these happen if the exe's that cause them can't do them?

17. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Bingo! We have a winner. You can't inject or corrupt a MBR without something executing first.

18. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

Any word about 3.0 and the fix it provides for Windows 8.1?

Is it close to being final yet?

19. guest

guest Guest

By making the whitelisted process to load DLLs? If EXE Radar also blocks DLL and SYS then at least they wouldn't be able to execute as well.

20. Correct, but ......., there is code executed in regular programs which process rich content, like your browser and its plug-ins. Also a lot of files we think only contain data, also contain (sometimes tiny bits of) code defining the structure or meta data or describe the way it is formatted (remember png and postscript exploits).

21. Peter2150

You are absolutely correct which I also run SBIE, Appguard, and Emet.

Pete

22. kjdemuth

True but the majority of exploits will try to dispense an exe payload. Yes I know that there are exploits that change meta data and other data streams. I'm not saying that AE are the end all but merely a piece of the big security puzzle. I should be a little clearer when blurting out my opinions. ;)

23. @Pete & KJ

I am the last one who will say you are not sufficient protected with AppGuard, SBIE, NVT, EMET or Comodo, WSA, SBIE, MBAE :D just putting things into perspective :thumb:

24. kjdemuth

Thanks Kees. I know you're just looking out for me. Appreciate it. :D

25. just_john

just_john Registered Member

Running EXERadar_Pro_x86_x64_v3.0_09092013_BUILD2_V12.exe with Windows 8.1. (Is there an easy way to check if I have the latest beta?) I have AutoHotkey.exe listed as a vulnerable process. If I whitelist the commandline, the commandline is allowed to run. But if I use a wildcard in the string it triggers an alert. I have other commandlines with wildcards that work.

This is allowed to run: "C:\Program Files\AutoHotkey\AutoHotkey.exe" "E:\info\autohotkey\zztimers.ahk"

This triggers an alert: "C:\Program Files\AutoHotkey\AutoHotkey.exe" "E:\info\autohotkey\zztimer?.ahk"

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.